Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+2
oxymoron
clunk07
6 posters

CWC - Nerf DT Swarmfire Mod tutorial

clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

CWC - Nerf DT Swarmfire Mod tutorial Empty CWC - Nerf DT Swarmfire Mod tutorial

Post  clunk07 Wed May 11, 2011 4:08 pm

Hi guys,

Received my upgraded spring today, so here's the tutorial on basic mods for the Swarmfire.
    I'd like to thank SgNerf and OzNerfNerd for their supply of parts to perform this mod.

CWC - Nerf DT Swarmfire Mod tutorial Sf_0110

Tools:

• Basic tool-kit

• Soldering iron, solder etc

• Dremel/rotary tool

• Multi-meter - optional

Materials:

• Upgraded spring

• O-ring

• Plunger buffer

• 4 x 14500 unprotected Li-ion batteries

• 4 x AA battery holder

• 9v battery snap

• 5-minute Araldite or similar

• Silicone grease or similar

DISASSEMBLY

Begin by removing the screws. As opposed to the Q16, this blaster is a dream to open up.

CWC - Nerf DT Swarmfire Mod tutorial Sf0210

Just don't forget to remove the battery cover, before splitting the shell in half.

Remove 3 screws, and split the motorised plunger mech unit in half. There are four catches that need to be pryed out for it to open up. There's also an orange clip that holds the turret in alignment, which also needs to be removed.

CWC - Nerf DT Swarmfire Mod tutorial Sf0310

Note the position of this spring, located underneath the plunger mech casing.

CWC - Nerf DT Swarmfire Mod tutorial Sf0410

AIR RESTRICTOR REMOVAL

Remove the plunger tube from the casing. Pry off the head of the tube with a screw-driver or similar. This is a pretty difficult task, as it's glued on. You could possibly use hot water or zippo fluid to dissolve the glue, but I managed without using either. Once you have the plunger head off, remove the orange AR and spring. Note, it would be possible to drill this out, if you're extremely careful. There is a white ring underneath the AR, that the spring sits on. Don't remove this, as it acts as a limit of travel for the plunger head.

Once you've removed the AR etc, replace the tube cap, and blue in place using epoxy adhesive or similar. I actually plastic welded it back on, as I'm fairly impatient.
    NB: don't do this if you're not familiar with the process, and remember to use a well-ventilated area.

CWC - Nerf DT Swarmfire Mod tutorial Sf0510

SPRING AND O-RING UPGRADE

Remove the plunger rod. Replace the spring, and o-ring. I purchased these as a kit from SgNerf. Also, because the AR has been removed, it's a good idea to add a plunger buffer pad - I've used one purchased from OzNerfNerd off of ebay.
    Picture shows assembled unit with after-market upgrades, Stock spring is on the right.

CWC - Nerf DT Swarmfire Mod tutorial Sf0610

VOLTAGE UPGRADE (16.8v)

While the blaster is apart, bare the ends of the battery snap. Feed the wires through the battery casing, and solder the battery snap to the terminals on the underside. The terminals are marked as well.

CWC - Nerf DT Swarmfire Mod tutorial Sf0710

You'll need to remove quite a fair bit of the centre divider of the orange battery casing, as well as some of the moulding on the inside of the battery cover, for the 4 x AA battery holder to fit. You could also use 6 x AA to C battery adapter's. 4 with the 14500 batteries, and 2 used as dummies.

CWC - Nerf DT Swarmfire Mod tutorial Sf0810

Re-assemble the blaster. I found it's easier to remove the plunger mech casing out of the shell, and hold it vertically to to join it back together.

Now for ranges:

Tests were conducted outside, using blue foam stinger's, with doubled washer's.

Stock.

Flat from shoulder: 41 feet
    Angled from hip: 55 feet

Modified.

Flat from shoulder: 67 feet
    Angled from hip: 91 feet

That equates to a 165% range increase on both angled and flat firing platforms. With identical ROF and slightly increased range, it's definitely good competition to the Stampede. The only down-side to the SF is no modular clips, but the decreased weight balances this out somewhat.

Finally, it is possible to remove the dart posts in the turret with a dremel or similar rotary tool. This is more to allow the use of different dart types, and adds minimal range increase.

Cheers,

Last edited by clunk07 on Fri May 27, 2011 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    oxymoron
    oxymoron

CWC - Nerf DT Swarmfire Mod tutorial Empty Re: CWC - Nerf DT Swarmfire Mod tutorial

Post  oxymoron Wed May 11, 2011 11:26 pm

Nice work! My spring finally turned up yesterday as well. cant wait to give it a try now.
    mavrick man
    mavrick man

CWC - Nerf DT Swarmfire Mod tutorial Empty Re: CWC - Nerf DT Swarmfire Mod tutorial

Post  mavrick man Thu May 12, 2011 12:25 am

Nice mod cant wait to see it.

Could you do brass barrels?
    oxymoron
    oxymoron

Post  oxymoron Thu May 12, 2011 1:58 am

Yes you can. There is a write up for the brass barrels on Nerf Haven. I think He even made it rear loading but I could be wrong.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Thu May 12, 2011 2:16 am

Rear loading for this particular blaster seems extremely impractical though.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu May 12, 2011 2:43 am

Whilst being a major time-consuming task, brass/petg barrels are a viable modification.
    gooni
    gooni

Post  gooni Thu May 19, 2011 9:53 am

clunk07 wrote:

CWC - Nerf DT Swarmfire Mod tutorial Sf0810

Are they any good, what is the ruff running time with them 4x14500 cells?

The ones I have are only 900mAh, and didnt last long trying to work my APmagstrike. But then the swarmfire wouldn't be drawing as much as the aircmp wouold.

Gooni.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu May 19, 2011 10:15 am

Gooni - these are the best non-pcb 14500's on the market, and have a price tag to match - around $6 each, but designed to be recharged thousands of times, unlike the Trust/ultrafire's. And their mAh rating is spot-on too.

Not sure of run time though, I've never been to a war, so my stampede/SF's only get a few mags put through them every now and again.

There'd be a hell of a lot less current/ampreage drain on the blaster's than the air compressor, for sure.
    LEZTRON
    LEZTRON

CWC - Nerf DT Swarmfire Mod tutorial Empty Springs ????

Post  LEZTRON Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:17 pm

Can you please help me purchase the same springs,,, i'm trying with no luck to find any

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:58 pm