Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+3
bulletproofvest
littlebro05
Calico
7 posters

AS-20 compressor mod guide

Calico
    Calico

AS-20 compressor mod guide Empty AS-20 compressor mod guide

Post  Calico Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:54 pm

Hey guys.

Ok ive had a few PM's about my air compressor mod for my as-20 so I'll post up a how to as best I can with the shots I took during.
    First things first. Parts and Tools.
    For this mod you will need fairly basic tools: dremel, needle noise pliers, side cutters or tin snips, pk screw driver to suit (I used a large jewlers)
    drill with a 10mm bit or stepped bit and a marker.
    Parts: I used the compresor from a Slime tyre inflator purchased from repco, the part number for the unit is COMP 03. There is a bolt hole in the body of the compresor that fits dead on with the lower screw sleve on the gun body so If you get another brand the mount is in your court.
    U will also need an irigation fitting from bunnings to connect the stock pipe to the compresor pipe. I used this fitting due to its high pressure rating I also cable tied both ends just to be sure.
    Lastly and most expensive is the LiPo cell. These are HIGH current R/C batteries that can handle the 15 amp current draw from the motor. You could try NiCads or NiMhd but they are alot bigger. The Lipo i used was a 4 cell 2300mah good for about 63amps. A special charger is needed for LiPo cells to, battery and charger will set you back about $100 to $150. Compresor $30 and the fitting, well, I may have walked out with that by mistake while purchasing some dremel disks....oops.

OK time to build.
    ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN USING A DREMEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When taking apart your gun there is 3 sizes of screws. long, short and a larger gauge short for the bottle retainer, there are only 4 of those. Arrange your screws on some card in the shape of where you took them out, that way the go back into the right place. Remove the styling cover first to expose the guns main body. The front and rear or this gun are in two parts. The front is easy to open, the rear is glued at the base and has a retaining ring around the plunger tube, remove this first or you will snap it. Second, remove the reatiner for the presure bottle then undo the rest of the cover. Once apart it should look like this:
    AS-20 compressor mod guide Img_0033
    From here you can see how the piping works, the op valve and how the rest of the gun comes apart, you can take the pipe system out if you wish.
    AS-20 compressor mod guide Img_0035
    This is where you will do your cutting, note, you DO NOT want to cut the circled stem off, this will become your compressor mount.

AS-20 compressor mod guide Img_0036
    Here is what you want to remove. You will have to check it afew times against the pump body for clearance, take off alittle at a time, cutting of to much will mean less plastic to clamp down on the pump.

AS-20 compressor mod guide Img_0037
    Here is the finished side of the gun. Note the slot for the pump drive gear and I have taken more of the bottom of the gun to get a betterfit against the pump body.
    Due to to pump sitting off center, both parts of the gun are different so getting this main side sorted first is the the harder part, the top is easier.

AS-20 compressor mod guide Img_0038
    Here is the top half and style cover on, you can see that the top cut is fairly easy.
    One thing to point out is that you will need to remove some material from the style plate if you plan to use it. When you first get the pump it has a cooling wheel on that top shaft you see there, this pulls off with the help of some side cutters. I left the steel shaft there in fear of warping the main drive in the engine.

AS-20 compressor mod guide Img_0039
    Take your drill and drill a hole as marked. you will need to open it out if you have a 10mm bit, a stepped bit is better here. This is where your pipe will run through and up the pump tube. I dont have a pic of the tube but all i did was remove it from the gun by cutting off the line as close to the tube as you can then removing the plunger which just falls out then drilling out the plastic end. I also trimmed the length of the tube by about 25 to 30mm and made a cut out for the compresor pipe to lay in. (sorry no pic :()
    At this point you can test fit the pump. One thing I also did is shave down the reciever on the screw that holds the pump on. U will see a small lip on the top part of the gun, just shave that back to the thickness of the pump body and there should be no gaps in the case.

AS-20 compressor mod guide Img_0040
    next, mount your on/off switch to the inside of the gun handle. Really, the switches can go where ever i are happy. For the main cut off switch I used the one that came on the tyre compresor pump case, it had writing on it so it was cool! That went on the style case of the gun.

AS-20 compressor mod guide Img_0041
    I drilled a hole here to wire out the gun to the main kill switch and fuse, your version of this will driffer depending on where you want your main switch.

AS-20 compressor mod guide Compre10
    This is what your wire up should look like. I used a mini 15amp automotive fuse, same sort that's in vt and up Commodores. DO NOT forget this fuse. LiPo batteries are VERY dangerous, if you short this cell BANG! ATM im just cable tying the battery to the underside of the gun.

Once this is all done you can start fitting the main part of the gun back together. After that join the guns stock pipe to the compresor pipe via the irigation fitting, cable ties on either side will ensure a tight fit. reassemble the rear of the gun and attatch plugs to suit your battery. It should now look like so:
    AS-20 compressor mod guide Img_0042

I fashioned a quick mount for the gauge using some strapping i had laying about and a short tech screw.
    AS-20 compressor mod guide Img_0043

After that I tested the gun, it worked well. U will find the gun runs on 40-42psi you could remove the OP valve but you run the risk of blowing the guns bladder.
    Off to the paint shop for the final touches.

AS-20 compressor mod guide Img_0116

Thats about it guys, hope you find this build helpful, please comment and ask questions im happy to help
    Here is my finished paint up of my long shot, mods still yet to come on that...

AS-20 compressor mod guide Img_0117

CAL
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

AS-20 compressor mod guide Empty Re: AS-20 compressor mod guide

Post  littlebro05 Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:00 am

Wow nice! Were you thinking about covering that compressor somehow? I'd be worried about dropping it or exposing it to a war.
    Calico
    Calico

Post  Calico Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:54 am

Yeah I'm thinking about a fiberglass hood for it, there are a few other things I need to finish on it as well.
    bulletproofvest
    bulletproofvest

Post  bulletproofvest Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:42 am

The finished AS20 looks so badass, I'm sure it's the devil's weapon
    melbnerf619
    melbnerf619

Post  melbnerf619 Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:13 am

This looks mint. Great work!

-James
    Calico
    Calico

Post  Calico Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:10 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys, "The Devils Gun" I think that's gunna be it's name! I like.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:45 pm

I think if you wanted more power, you could change the return spring inside the 'plunger' part. Meaning more strength = more pressure build = more power... then go all out and conduit barrel it lol.
    Calico
    Calico

Post  Calico Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:56 pm

TBH power doesnt really bother me to much, the stupid rate of fire is more than enough to compensate for that. At close quaters, your NOT getting away from this gun! NO single shot weapon or semi-auto can save you mwahahahahahaaaaaaaaooh. Down side, you will hear me coming, its so loud!!!
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:04 pm

Damn, i must be blind, Calico i've just noticed this.
    Cant believe you only got 7 replies bro, well mine makes 8!!

Awesome.

To everyone who didnt reply to Calico's write-up, you should be ashamed of yourselfs.
    Calico
    Calico

Post  Calico Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:26 pm

Well thanks for the back up there boosty. I'd say the lack of posts is due to the ultra coolness of my gun, rage sets in before people can type so they just run away instead of posting......Or it could be the fact that no one cares...LMAO I guess i should get around to fiishing this gun to....but my new gun is oooh so much more nicers.
    killerbunny
    killerbunny

Post  killerbunny Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:50 pm

That is pretty friggin cool
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:38 pm

I'd put it down to pure jealously personally, where really everyone should be congratulating you.

You stepped outside the square, looked back at it, and shattered it.

Like it was made of glass.
    Calico
    Calico

Post  Calico Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:22 pm

I should get a video up of RoF and so forth, I need to get a new battery connection for it as the old one was some what home made. I will be working on a fiberglass engine and battery tray for it soon as well.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:54 pm

Honestly, I wouldn't be getting too concerned about the lack of replies. Whilst it is a cool mod, it's probably not the hardest for people to replicate. Phuong/Littlebro made an AC magstrike and and AC Titan probably over a year ago, so it's not exactly a new concept. The paintjob however, is rather nice, which is what earned my vote from the comp.

Normally, the majority of replies to a mod guide are people asking for help to replicate your project.

Cheers,
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:02 am

But he won Best Overall? So it does not make sense that he hardly had any replies, Best Overall is...well, best overall.

Hmm...
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:18 am

boosted6 wrote:But he won Best Overall? So it does not make sense that he hardly had any replies, Best Overall is...well, best overall.

Hmm...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking anything away from Calico. But, best overall isn't exactly how it sounds. The category was set-up as best overall package, not necessarily the best blaster that was submitted/judged.

There were quite a lot of blaster's that could have made that category had they of been painted, and a few painted blaster's that would have made the category had they of had internal mod's etc etc

Cheers,
    Calico
    Calico

Post  Calico Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:35 am

I really don't care. I share my work because it makes me feel good, I've seen this mod before so thats why I did it. I also like these things
    But really lets keep the thread about the weapon.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:50 pm