Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

5 posters

Long shot dart tooth official version 1

Calico
    Calico

Long shot dart tooth official version 1 Empty Long shot dart tooth official version 1

Post  Calico Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:51 pm

Hey guys.
    So I've knocked up a prototype dart tooth mod for those of us not running brass breached Long shots. It's fairly simple to do, took me about 15-20 minutes to do.
    Basically all its doing is pushing the dart further back into the plunger to get a better seal. You will need a fairly keen eye as it is really easy to take out to much plastic an stuff the entire part so take care. I used a ball tool on the dremel as a disk wont get in there.
    So here we go
    Long shot dart tooth official version 1 Img_0216
    so this is your stock tooth and receiver.

Long shot dart tooth official version 1 Img_0217
    this is the face you will be cutting a slot in for the modified tooth.

Long shot dart tooth official version 1 Img_0218
    Long shot dart tooth official version 1 Img_0220
    marking out a cut line as center as you can going all the way down and back towards the tooth hole. (sorry the second one is abit crap!)

Long shot dart tooth official version 1 Img_0221
    once cut it should look like this. be mindful not to go to wide, you want a gap for 3mm acrylic to run in so only go wide enough till it clears.

Long shot dart tooth official version 1 Img_0222
    Next cut a bit of acrylic 8mm deep x 10mm high and resin it to the dart tooth like so. Make sure the extra part sets straight also make sure to round the corners of the leading edge just in case it snags in a dart

Long shot dart tooth official version 1 Img_0223
    once set you should be looking at this. a nice extended tooth in a flush slide. make sure the tooth DOES NOT poke out past the guide.

Long shot dart tooth official version 1 Img_0310
    stock tooth
    Long shot dart tooth official version 1 Img_0311
    modded tooth
    set it up right here are the differences between the stock tooth and the modified one, as i said all it is there for is to push the dart further back.
    I have not fired anything with it yet and these are stock streamlines with hot glue heads so results may vary with different darts and tips.

I do have the set up mounted in a gun I am working on but its only sitting in the shell, i can flick the spring very fast and it doesn't jam, I'll post again
    when the gun is complete and firing test have been done.
    Thanks guys.

EDIT: EDIT: EDIT:
    Ok guys here it is, 100% thrashed and no issues at all. You can clearly see its nothing like the first tooth. This one has a cut down screw threaded into the main tooth.
    The head of the screw is then epoxied in along with the thread. Again i matched the screw length to the face of the receiver. When making your hole for the screw simply raise the tooth to its full height and drill at the center area. Either tap out the hole with a m4x0.7 tap or work a screw into the hole, tapping is a lot easier.
    but that it, simple and this one works very very well, better than the last. here's some pics.
    Long shot dart tooth official version 1 Img_0313
    Long shot dart tooth official version 1 Img_0314
    be mindful to file down the head of the screw so its flush with the recess on the back of the tooth.
    Long shot dart tooth official version 1 Img_0315

enjoy guys
    CAL

Last edited by Calico on Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
    RL
    RL

Long shot dart tooth official version 1 Empty Re: Long shot dart tooth official version 1

Post  RL Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:09 pm

Hey man,

This sounds cool. Not a big deal, but could be useful.
    oxymoron
    oxymoron

Long shot dart tooth official version 1 Empty Re: Long shot dart tooth official version 1

Post  oxymoron Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:40 pm

Nice! I think this is actually quite a big deal. It should result in a measurable increase in range as well as more consistent ranges from various darts.

A great mod for those who aren't able to do a brass breech. It will have to go in the directory for sure I think.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:56 am

2120! How could it not be a big deal! I've tested this with a Recon a while back. I shoot a few darts with it the stock dart tooth. Then I load the darts as deep as I can into the plunger. There was a significant range increase of at least 3-5metres. This is just reversed plunger!

Great work dude. Keep those mods coming!
    Calico
    Calico

Post  Calico Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:50 am

Well... It makes a massive difference! About 7mtrs extra range.
    My test is my own gun, same specs just with a standard tooth.
    Stock tooth is about 20-25mtrs. Modded tooth.... Well the dart
    Is on the dam road from my back fence.
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:23 am

lol ironically, in me saying it's not a big deal, a bigger deal has been made.

I guess I'm wrong then, but I was implying as well that it wasn't a big noticeable mod. Which it remains, but wow. Might need a rotary tool for a precise cut down the line though.
    Calico
    Calico

Post  Calico Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:28 am

yeah stay tuned for a revamped version, the tooth addition broke after about 4 mags threw it......its a work in progress..meh.

oh here's the gun in question
    Long shot dart tooth official version 1 Img_0312
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:37 am

What did you use to connect the acrylic to the dart tooth? I assume we'll need a stronger adhesive if this is to work with snap caps and silicone tips
    Calico
    Calico

Post  Calico Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:25 am

I used 2pac epoxy the issue is the material the dart tooth is made from. Because the tolerances for clearance is so small there is no room to have excess glue around the tooth which makes it weak. I'm working on a new idea which will be less of an issue....I hope.
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:37 pm

You could try plastic welding?
    Dietzie
    Dietzie

Post  Dietzie Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:12 pm

I did a similar mod on a Recon a while back but changing the "timing" of the dart tooth rather than adding to it.
    If you file back the ramp on the bolt sled that lowers the dart tooth it will have the same effect. I didn't think at the time it was a big deal but I guess I was wrong
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:34 am

This would be pretty beneficial to Reverse Plungered blasters for those who are fan of them. I've wonder how it would fair with slam firing R-Plungers though.
    Calico
    Calico

Post  Calico Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:10 am

Post updated guys, official version 1 works awesome!!!
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Nice! Any cases of jams yet?
    Calico
    Calico

Post  Calico Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:32 pm

No, no jams at all, there was some vegemite tho.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:50 am