Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+3
camo1010
mavshot
Jeo
7 posters

Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement

Jeo
    Jeo

Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement Empty Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement

Post  Jeo Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:15 pm

So I've noticed that while we have a bunch of really good mod guides on here, we're fairly lacking in the very basic 'first timer' style mods. Sure they're posted in 48 different locations all over the net and I'm sure you could find 47 of those through Google, but I'm going to post a few simple ones here over the next few weeks just to make life easier for our new comers. All of my walk throughs will also make it onto my blog (Foam Dart Goodness) eventually so please check it out too. Hope you enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nerf's NiteFinder; the first blaster for many enthusiasts and probably the simplest to modify. It comes apart relatively easily with only a handful of screws, there are no complicated parts that you have to line up, and it's a direct plunger system so spring replacements are far easier. If you're looking for somewhere to start modifying blasters, look no further than the NiteFinder.

Hell, if you're just looking for a blaster to start playing with in general, get yourself a NiteFinder. They're cheap, simple and awesome. I'll regularly run with just a sprung AR'd NiteFinder in a bunch of games, just because they're fun. You'll get better ranges than anything reverse plunger based, so just run around taking pot shots at people.

Today we're going to tackle two simple mods; an air restrictor removal and a seal improvement. The tools/consumables I used for this were...

A small phillips head screwdriver
    A hand drill, complete with extra long drill bit
    A long, round hand file
    Telfon tape

First up we have a NiteFinder.Unscrew the bolt at the bottom holding the battery catch on.

Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement DSCN3031

Then there should be 14 screws holding the shell together. These screws are all the same so you don't have to worry about mixing them up later, just put them all in a container.

Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement DSCN3032

As always, take a moment here to familarise yourself with the workings of the blaster.

Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement DSCN3033

Unscrew the two screws circled here to allow you to remove the plunger and tube.

Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement DSCN3034

Oooo look, an AR... Grab your drill and go to town.

Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement DSCN3035

Then grab your file and clean up the remaining dags. You want the inside of the small front tube to be as smooth as possible.

Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement DSCN3036

Now we'll start on improving the seal.

Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement DSCN3116

The O-ring here is what presses up against the side of the plunger tube and forces the air towards the dart. Unfortunately this doesn't have a perfect seal from the factory so we need to push the O-ring out a little bit.

Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement DSCN3117

Start by removing the O-ring. Easiest and safest way I've found is to use a very small flat head screwdriver to pry the O-ring over the front lip. Be careful not to pull it too hard through as they do snap.

Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement DSCN3118

Grab some Teflon tape. Electrical tape does also work, but because it's thicker you can't be quite as precise. By all means, if it's all you've got access to, electrical tape is far better than nothing, but splurge the few dollars for a roll of Teflon tape and you'll be much better off (and one roll should last you about a billion blasters).

Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement DSCN3119

Wrap said tape around the plunger head a few times and then put the O-ring back on. This is very much a trial and error process to figure out how much tape you'll need. Keep playing with it until you have a good seal between the plunger head and tube. How I'll normally check is to hold the head inside the tube and then blow down the barrel; if you can blow through it, either you've got a leak somewhere or the seal isn't good enough. However, also make sure that you don't have too much tape on. The head should be able to slide freely throughout the tube with practically no resistance. Again, trial and error.

Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement DSCN3121

Once that's all good, start putting it all back together! Place the catch, plunger tube and rod all back in the shell and screw the two locator screws back in place.

Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement DSCN3137

Put the other half of the shell back on and screw it back together.

Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement DSCN3138

Put the battery catch back on and we're done!

Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement DSCN3142

Huzzah. One modded NiteFinder.

With stock whistlers darts from the stock blaster, I was getting an average of 13m

With the same darts from the modifed blaster, I was getting an average of 17m
    mavshot
    mavshot

Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement Empty Re: Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement

Post  mavshot Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:50 pm

Well done that is a great simple writeup for beginners great idea well explained.

camo1010
    camo1010

Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement Empty Re: Nerf NiteFinder - Basic Mods - AR and seal improvement

Post  camo1010 Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:00 pm

Nice work
    Nsnerfing
    Nsnerfing

Post  Nsnerfing Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:22 am

Nice writeup!
    WH1PLA5H
    WH1PLA5H

Post  WH1PLA5H Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:41 pm

what would be a good easily accessible spring to help mod this little beast? I might pick one up tomorrow and have some fun with it. Can i get a spring at bunnings for it perhaps???
    Dietzie
    Dietzie

Post  Dietzie Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:55 pm

The C836 spring (Bunnings) is the usual mod spring. Needs two coils cut off so the the trigger will catch but makes for some good ranges
    WH1PLA5H
    WH1PLA5H

Post  WH1PLA5H Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:50 am

Thanks. Will go past bunnings on the way home if i can get what i want from kmart. Means I can use the extra stampede / NF spring i ordered from OMW for another stampede build.
    lech
    lech

Post  lech Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:54 am

Dietzie wrote:The C836 spring (Bunnings) is the usual mod spring. Needs two coils cut off so the the trigger will catch but makes for some good ranges

The full spring can be used, although its a little difficult to assemble the gun if you haven't done a draw extension, it is possible with some precompression of the spring.
    WH1PLA5H
    WH1PLA5H

Post  WH1PLA5H Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:11 am

Well my local bunnings didn't have the spring required. They don't carry them at all but can get them in at special request... oh crap. Ohwell. Picked up a NF for $8 from Kmart and brought another Stampede and laybuyed another for $39 each!!! BARGAIN. Shhhh. dont tell the Mrs! Going to perform a SMG type conversion one of the new ones

NF is getting a tac' LED light in it and some upgrades

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:17 am