Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+7
CobraNerf
Pois0n
melbourneSTORM4eva
splosionman
littlebro05
nerffirefight24
chinnerz
11 posters

First mod : Nitefinder upgrade (build log)

chinnerz
    chinnerz

First mod : Nitefinder upgrade (build log) Empty First mod : Nitefinder upgrade (build log)

Post  chinnerz Wed May 12, 2010 6:27 am

This is going to be a build log... What that means is, i will not be making a new topic every time i do something to this particular gun

So far....
    I decided to get a nitefinder
    Removed the front dart holder/quiver
    Removed the 'laz0r'. A gun of the accuracy and speed is not worthy of one so i decided not to wire up a real one or replace with a torch
    Removed barrel
    Removed AR
    New barrel: faber-castell white board marker
    Added another spring (only a very weak one)
    Added teflon and wire to the piston head (improving the seal, i only need to place the dart half way in barrel, it gets pulled the rest of the way)

time taken: 30 mins (include video capture time)

Performance:

The gun is 11 meters away from wall. I wasn't paying much attention to where i was aiming and how i was holding the gun... i think all shots are angled... infact that last one hit the roof

Sorry about the S***house quality, that is my 6 year old bridging camera from nikon...
    nerffirefight24
    nerffirefight24

First mod : Nitefinder upgrade (build log) Empty Re: First mod : Nitefinder upgrade (build log)

Post  nerffirefight24 Wed May 12, 2010 9:50 am

No offence but for a NF thats pretty crap ranges, if you replace the spring with a CS38 i think it is and cut a few coils off it the ranges will improve by heaps, and maybe use a dart better than a suction cup one.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

First mod : Nitefinder upgrade (build log) Empty Re: First mod : Nitefinder upgrade (build log)

Post  littlebro05 Wed May 12, 2010 9:59 am

If you read carefully, he said the range's he was shooting at was 11metres... not it shoots at up to 11metres. It could probably get another 10metres more if he was out side.
    chinnerz
    chinnerz

Post  chinnerz Wed May 12, 2010 10:50 am

Mate i'm not going to lie, i'm not super happy with the ranger either. littlebro05 is right, i can get some more as at 11 meters the darts stick in the wall at like head/upper chest height, but i still want more.

The thing is that i don't have a heap of time to do mods with school and stuff, and i was tired of looking at a dis-assembled gun... so the logical thing was to get it working, and upgrade it later on. So stay tuned because in the coming weeks... there is probably going to be 20% nitefinder left... (the other 80% will be custom parts)

I am not fully sure of what i am going to be doing.... so feel free to give me ideas!!

Currently im thinking of giving the NF a SMG look. i am thinking about making a 6 or 8 gun quiver/dart holder to stick on the front. Also, looks are a big thing for me, so i am thinking fake silencer on the front and gettig some fiberglass or polymorph plastic and redoing the look of the gun. I dont know... thats what im thinking right now
    splosionman

Post  splosionman Wed May 12, 2010 12:07 pm

I still don't see why these things need threads of thir own, no offence. As has been said many times before, there is a post pictures of your gun thread, wich could be used perfectly well for this 'build log', and nothing special is being done. These threads are good for crazy things, like splits titan and mega missile vulcan. That thing is amazing, and has taken a very long time to build going through many stages, had a write up and was technically amazing. This is none of those.

Kind of forgot that I do think this is a good mod, especially for a first try.

Last edited by splosionman on Wed May 12, 2010 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Being depressing)
    chinnerz
    chinnerz

Post  chinnerz Wed May 12, 2010 12:41 pm

Thank you for your comment! Or should i say flame...
    splosionman

Post  splosionman Wed May 12, 2010 1:18 pm

Yeah, it was probably flame.
    melbourneSTORM4eva
    melbourneSTORM4eva
    Founder
    Founder

Post  melbourneSTORM4eva Wed May 12, 2010 1:21 pm

No need to head off topic whether it was a flame or not.

I think it is a very nice mod, for your first mod, well done mate!

-MS4E
    Pois0n
    Pois0n

Post  Pois0n Wed May 12, 2010 1:44 pm

I would say that it performs FINE for minimal modification. Try a different barrel, and I think you would get much better results.
    chinnerz
    chinnerz

Post  chinnerz Wed May 12, 2010 2:59 pm

Thanks for comments guys!!

Yeah a proper barrel would be better... but that marker was the best i could find in the ACT. I should probably get some PETG...
    chinnerz
    chinnerz

Post  chinnerz Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:06 am

So, its been a while and my gun has started collecting dust....

I want to gift this gun to one of my mates for his B'day, so i want to finish it quickly... That being said i still want to do a good job
    So, I'm not fully redoing it as i had first planned, and i ma leaving some parts stock, well, most parts stock

Mods done since last time:
    Springs removed.
    Front of gun removed.
    Front 'block' added.
    Sling shot arm added (hollow tempered .25mm steel... its quite strong)

Picture time:
    First mod : Nitefinder upgrade (build log) 23062010031
    First mod : Nitefinder upgrade (build log) 23062010032
    First mod : Nitefinder upgrade (build log) 23062010033p

performance:
    Poor.... make that very poor. It doesn't shoot yet

Work still to be done:
    >Drilling of front dart quiver.(It will probably hold 2 darts)
    >General strengthening.
    >Plaster to fill in all the gaps.
    >Addition of Bands.
    >Paint

Last edited by chinnerz on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CobraNerf
    CobraNerf

Post  CobraNerf Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:25 am

Resize your pics.
    Biggles
    Biggles

Post  Biggles Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:41 am

CobraNerf wrote:Resize your pics.

Please do.

Biggles
    chinnerz
    chinnerz

Post  chinnerz Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:17 pm

haha I did from 3.2 mp.... Guess its still too big

Ok, all good
    chinnerz
    chinnerz

Post  chinnerz Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:19 pm

So, it has taken a little longer than expected. This is due to the perfectionist values which i try and uphold :P, and that I am quite bad at getting putty to be uniform the first time.

I need to find out what works better as slingshot bands. Regular HomeBrand rubber gloves, or disposable latex gloves... For this application as there is not much draw back, my money is on the rubber glove, but when using tools and materials for purposes they were not designed, you never know

Also for the paint, I was thinking gray base with a fluro orange arrows

First mod : Nitefinder upgrade (build log) Nerfj

But that is subject to change
    Foam Militia
    Foam Militia

Post  Foam Militia Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:46 am

Gloves? Why wouldn't you use something like a bungee cord instead? Or an extension spring?
    chinnerz
    chinnerz

Post  chinnerz Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:17 am

Because I'm cheap

Also, springs are a potential hazard if they break and fly off. Bungee sounds like a good idea... but i already have all this rubber cut up...
    chinnerz
    chinnerz

Post  chinnerz Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:41 am

Yay Finished!

Ok, so it took longer then expected... but it is indeed finished now.

The clear coat will take a few more days to fully cure but it is in firing condition right now.
    Picture time:

First mod : Nitefinder upgrade (build log) Fin2First mod : Nitefinder upgrade (build log) Finkj

I will make a shooting video in the next few days.
    From what I can see the power is good... Numbers will come soon.
    killerbunny
    killerbunny

Post  killerbunny Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:34 am

that is a sweet looking nitefinder great job javascript:emoticonp('8)') i can't wait to see what you come up with next
    radiantraidercs-35
    radiantraidercs-35

Post  radiantraidercs-35 Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:46 am

a little tip, you can still use a laser dot point on your NF you can buy the little pen size dot laser's from chinatown markets etc there only $10 bucks and they look cool just have to clip it on to the NF it sould not be to hard to do
    radiantraidercs-35
    radiantraidercs-35

Post  radiantraidercs-35 Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:52 am

chinnerz wrote:Yay Finished!

Ok, so it took longer then expected... but it is indeed finished now.

The clear coat will take a few more days to fully cure but it is in firing condition right now.
    Picture time:

First mod : Nitefinder upgrade (build log) Fin2First mod : Nitefinder upgrade (build log) Finkj

I will make a shooting video in the next few days.
    From what I can see the power is good... Numbers will come soon.

hey they look cool there like mini crossbows lol what sorta band's are you useing and what is there distance?
    chinnerz
    chinnerz

Post  chinnerz Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:38 am

Right well i made a vid just then but i came out really crap as it was taken from my phone at night time :/

But the results are:
    >>It shoots 12-16 meters flat (I cbf using a measuring tape so i just took big steps)
    >>Accuracy was measured from 8 meters away. Out of 5 shots, 2 hit a shoebox... however I did notice that it swings to the right and if taken into account then more would hit the target.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:51 am