Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+43
thenerfninja
Unknown
mister_elliott
Synergie
BlitzkriegNerfTeam
WV17
thatwestykid
clunk07
Akimbo Assassin
Xoenz
Nerfblackop
PhantomSambo
whichgrep
Saintznerf
Warstream96
Biggles
f 14tomcat4
SuctionCup
TheKhakinator
Joey
Khail
gooni
Trigga_happy
Servulus
killerbunny
Myrmidont
Chaos-Blades
radiantraidercs-35
Psykka
nerffirefight24
TheNed
SnowDragon
Neodore
Switchblade
crumpetstastenice
bulletproofvest
KingCam
Door_Beatle
Roger Explosion
Winterstrike
The Cheshire Ranger
littlebro05
47 posters

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars?

littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars? Empty Eye Protection At Nerf Wars?

Post  littlebro05 Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:15 am

I was thinking about making this thread for a guide to eye protection. The Do's and Don'ts of eye protection. As you know even in a stock war you could be potentially blinded because the eye is a very sensitive part of your body. It is very important to wear it because we don't want to give Nerf a bad name if some dude loses an eye over it. So here's a guide to what I think should be the right pair of eye protection.

What NOT to wear

Prescription glasses...

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars? Spectacles

This is a BIG NO. I've heard from one of the singapore folks that when they were having an Epeen war one of their players were sent to hospital because when the dart hit his glasses it shattered into his eye.

Sun Glasses (with glass lens)

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars? 31DJUUHqzYL._SL500_AA300_

Pretty much anything that is made from a glass material SHOULD NOT be worn at wars because usually these type of glasses are not shatter proof and the danger will be the shrapnel from the glass, not the dart itself.

El-cheapo Sunnies (plastic lens)

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars? 1628

Sorry GenericWizardGuy. They are banned. Even with a 100ft Only rule they WILL break. They aren't made for impact.

Ski Goggles

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars? Ski-goggles

Winterstrike says they will break. So don't bother. And he doesn't lie.

Gas Masks

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars? Gas-mask

They're awesome yes. Will they withstand an impact... I'm not too sure. Especially with many replicas today, I have heard that they are actually very bad eye protection against paintballs and Airsoft BBs. Not tomention they shatter into you too. Also not very publicly appealing. Definitely something we shouldn't wear.

The MAYBES of eye protection

Full scale face masks.

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars? Atom11769

This is a pending eye protection piece. They do look very daunting to the public. Especially the one that I have shown up here.

Swimming Goggles

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars? Maru_impact_swimming_goggles

I'm not too sure but I think swimming goggles should be able to withstand the impact. That I do not know but I would put them in the maybe because they're quite durable. I've stepped on them on asphalt before and it didnt' crack. Just depends on the quality I guess. But why would you wear them? They are very uncomfortable.

Snorkeling Goggles
    Eye Protection At Nerf Wars? 076010270345

Same story with Swimming goggles.

The YES of eye protection

Hardware / Safety Goggles

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars? Safety_glasses_81-304-002

Hardware goggles are usually a GOOD thing because they are made to withstand impact from anything flying towards it. This is one of the cheapest and safest options for eye protection at any Nerf War.

Cyclists / Hardware / Airsoft Sunglasses

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars? Joeing007-img530x265-128137325393007sunglasses_530-6

So you care about you look and want to Nerf in style? These are one of the acceptable sunglasses you can use. This is because these glasses are designed to be shatter proof and if you are going to purchase one of these... you should try to find out if they can withstand 'high impact' and are shatter proof so your eye's don't get owned! Nerf in style today! Just remember to wear sunnies that cover all areas of your eye.

Flakjak Goggles

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars? Fk_gray_lg

Actually very cheap. According to Winterstrike, only costs $15+shipping. He will probably have to link me.

Mesh Glasses

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars? ZERO-GLASS-MESH-GOGGLES-COLOURS

Made for Airsoft. Hate the fogging of your glasses? These are great eye protection and is an alternative to my face mask so people aren't scared as easily. These are mesh glasses that you can see through and won't fog up because you they're not plastic lenses! Good eye protection indeed. Remember... float like a butterfly, sting like a bee :P.

Dirt Bike Goggles

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars? H2mx1

According to Cheshire Ranger. These can with stand rocks. It makes sense though because you're going at ridiculously high speeds and if you decide to smash your face into branches... those glasses shouldn't shatter... just scratch... and you'll get owned completely. Just a little humour there.

Airsoft Helmet + Visor

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars? AS929

Just something Cheshire found and I've seen. Good face protection. A little daunting. Just put some bunny stickers on it and it should be sweet.

[img][/img]

Nerf Vision Gear

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars? 9930AAED19B9F36910DCC650EAF9D372

Roger Explosion has tested this against the singled big blast and titan, reporting it does fine. It is now in the DO wear to Nerf Wars.

Anywho. That's my guide to Nerf Eye Protection hope you liked it. If you have anything else that you would like me to add just post a reply. And I will add onto it. Does it deserve to be stickied? I think it does. Good guide to new Nerfers who don't think eye protection is important.

Last edited by littlebro05 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:34 pm; edited 8 times in total

Eye Protection At Nerf Wars? Empty Re: Eye Protection At Nerf Wars?

Post  Guest Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:24 am

I agree, that mask looks like something out of a horror movie. Also, add gas masks next to the full face thingy, because the glass is unbreakable on them, they are designed to stop a bullet. Even though you look more scary.
    The Cheshire Ranger
    The Cheshire Ranger

Post  The Cheshire Ranger Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:30 am

I'd like to add dirt bike and motorbike goggles to this list. They are designed to withstand rocks.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:32 am

SuperTastyfish wrote:I agree, that mask looks like something out of a horror movie. Also, add gas masks next to the full face thingy, because the glass is unbreakable on them, they are designed to stop a bullet. Even though you look more scary.

Haha... Actually gas masks aren't actually really made to withstand impact... just to filter bad stuff. I've heard stories of Airsoft BBs penetrating them. There are so many replicas of these gas masks it's hard to say what is safe anyway.

The Cheshire Ranger wrote:I'd like to add dirt bike and motorbike goggles to this list. They are designed to withstand rocks.

I will look them up and add it for you. Thanks for your contribution.

Last edited by littlebro05 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Post  Guest Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:34 am

No the WW1 ones have laminated glass to at least, crack the glass if a bullet hits it. The air raid ones have normal glass.
    Winterstrike

Post  Winterstrike Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:35 am

This is a fantastic post and I feel it should be cleaned up a bit and stickied. By cleaned up, there are many parts in which you are unsure of this and that, and so I think we should do a bit of research and make it clear. Let me start by clearing up a few things...

Face masks are currently under maybe and I do agree with this, as there's so many different kinds. The one you have pictured looks rather menacing and we really want to stay away from anything that makes it look like you're cosplaying to be a villain(balaklavas or hockey masks). Face masks will probably be allowed eventually, but only after the public gets a good perception of us, right now we're too unknown.

I'd also say no to the aviator glasses as there are too many kinds of those which aren't rated to take impact. I don't care how good you THINK they are, you and I are not experts on the structural integrity of sunglasses. If these things aren't specifically made for taking a hit, stop being cheap and just don't wear them. The same goes for the official Hasbro vision gear. That stuff makes you look cool and protects from stock guns but it's not going to do much against even a modified recon.

Ski goggles are under the same category as aviators. Many of the cheaper ones are just glorified sunglasses and aren't made to take an impact.

The flakjaks I got are not expensive, they're only about $15 + shipping. Don't order them from arena themselves but a reseller instead. I also got these as you can wear regular glasses inside them. Many of you won't need that functionality so avoid buying these and should opt for a pair of cheaper more lightweight goggles.

In a nutshell, is if you're on a budget, buy a pair of glasses from a hardware store. If you have more to spend, get a pair of those mesh goggles. If you need glasses, but arena flakjaks. If you want to look super cool, but a facemask to go with your goggles but make sure it looks friendly and has cute bunny stickers all over it.

The Cheshire Ranger
    The Cheshire Ranger

Post  The Cheshire Ranger Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:41 am

Post  Guest Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:47 am

Last edited by DesertKind on Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:31 am

I might actually have to do a few shock tests on the glasses I have on me with a big blast sniper shot round I make with snap cap heads. Will report on them and when I have time.

Also thanks for everyone who has contributed... If there are more suggestions. Just fling them over.
    Roger Explosion
    Roger Explosion
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Roger Explosion Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:18 am

Nice thread I think it deserves a sticky.

You should put the Dart Tag Glasses back on the good list. I tried them today with 3 shots with a big blast and 2 shots with sigled titan at point blank on one lens and it survied great.

I should look into getting a pair of those mesh glasses, not only do they look cool, my glasses always fog up.
    Door_Beatle
    Door_Beatle

Post  Door_Beatle Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:45 am

I've heard of some people using swimming goggles for eye protection, I don't think they would hold up very well against some modded nerf guns, so you might want to add them to the do not wear list.

Post  Guest Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:08 am

I rep the fake rayban's bali style. They didn't break from a headshot from I think it was a titan.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:29 am

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Airsoft-Paintball-No-Fog-Metal-Mesh-Goggle-Glasses-Tan-/190430292969?pt=UK_SportingGoods_SportsSunglasses_SM Hey Roger. If you're interested here's a link. $20. Great deal I reckon.

Rep Bali? No idea...

I have added swimming goggles to the list Door_Beetle. . But in the maybe pile since I know their very durable.
    KingCam
    KingCam

Post  KingCam Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:48 am

I would change hardware to saftey glasses cos that there real name

Last edited by KingCam on Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:00 pm

KingCam wrote:I would change hardware to safty glasses cos that there real name

Umm... They're also called hardware glasses. But whatever rocks your boat man. I will put it next to it.
    bulletproofvest
    bulletproofvest

Post  bulletproofvest Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:03 pm

Wouldn't the SWAT helmet get people into trouble?
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:05 pm

Not too sure on the question. I don't think the helmet would be that daunting. As long as you're wearing it with bright colour clothing it should be fine.
    crumpetstastenice
    crumpetstastenice

Post  crumpetstastenice Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:13 pm

SuperTastyfish wrote:I agree, that mask looks like something out of a horror movie. Also, add gas masks next to the full face thingy, because the glass is unbreakable on them, they are designed to stop a bullet. Even though you look more scary.
    This is true I just recently did a research project on WWI and the glass that was used in AUTHENTIC gas masks is laminated glass. The glass can withstand a bowling ball being dropped on them from 30 feet in the air.
    Also i think snorkeling goggles should be added even though i don't think they have been tested they are designed not to shatter because the glass is tempered.

Last edited by crumpetstastenice on Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:20 pm

Umm... Well Alot of gas masks today are 'replicas' and are not made to withstand impact.

Snorkeling goggles. I'll put it in the maybe but why would you wear them... Major fog and super uncomfortable.
    crumpetstastenice
    crumpetstastenice

Post  crumpetstastenice Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:25 pm

I did say authentic gas masks.
    Snorkeling goggles just so people know they can wear them.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:36 pm

Yeah I did say a lot of them were replicas though. I believe you don't worry hahaha.
    crumpetstastenice
    crumpetstastenice

Post  crumpetstastenice Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:42 pm

Im not saying that people should wear just that they could possibly provide protection from a high powered or singled gun.
    although you do raise a good point with the snorkeling goggles.
    Switchblade
    Switchblade

Post  Switchblade Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:20 am

im tossing up between getting some cheap nerf vision glasses that i found and this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/UV-Protect-Police-Shooting-Glasses-Sunglasses-Black-/310244152825?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

would those be suitable for use at a war?
    Switchblade
    Switchblade

Post  Switchblade Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:18 am

phuonguyen wrote:
    Switchblade wrote:im tossing up between getting some cheap nerf vision glasses that i found and this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/UV-Protect-Police-Shooting-Glasses-Sunglasses-Black-/310244152825?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

would those be suitable for use at a war?

Those would suffice cause they're shooting glasses, though that being said, you really don't know if they are actual shooting glasses and given the price tag of 10 bucks, I'd say they're not. But the UV rating does help to determine whether they are high quality or not and a UV rating of 400 is very good.

The glasses that I use are actual safety rated glasses used in chemical labs.

If anything, I'd get these, which littlebro wants me to buy for him when he's not using his mask. They're cheaper than yours too.

these are WAY better than the ones that i was looking at, and cheaper to do you get to choose which colour lense you get (black, clear, multi etc.)?
    Neodore
    Neodore

Post  Neodore Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:36 pm

If we we are getting anal (children keep your minds out of the gutters) about the safty aspect of glasses where you won't allow normal plastic lensed sunglasses because they arnt impact tested, you shouldn't allow science class safety glasses on the grounds of they are designed to keep splatted chemicals out of your eyes, not fast moving projectiles.

with that being said when I was younger (and quite a load stupider than i am now) me and my mates were using sunglasses in "glove gun" wars (I emplore you DO NOT do this at home kiddys) and they saved our eyes on more than one occasion and with out so much as cracking the lenses. Albet these were the plastic ones but i highly doubt a nerf dart will be moving with as much force or speed as a glove gun 'projectile'

Neodore
    Neodore

Post  Neodore Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:12 pm

phuonguyen wrote:
    Actually all science safety glasses are rated to withstand certain ammounts of force, if you see a little "T" somewhere on the plastic that means that they are able to withstand medium to high forces. "O", I believe is weak acid and bases resistant, and splashback resistant.
    I stand corrected

Then again, glove guns are propelled by the glove finger pocket, not a spring. Our concern is based upon the possible tips that the darts may have, that vary from hot glue tips to plastic snap caps.

I think the major concern should be to make it so all rounds brought to any properly organised nerf war either are the same squish-tip factor as the stock rounds or better (im working on somthing at the moment but need to fix the ls first), and anyone caught with anything like that will be delt with in a manner than eveyone sees fit eg if it's just an older people match make them swap those rounds with stock rounds but if its for a war that covers 12 and up disqualify them from playing

that being said if its just a blanket ruling of all darts must be squishy tops, most plastic lensed sunglasses should suffice

These darts are also travelling alot faster than the gloves can put out.

I dont know dude i think mabey a big balls titan, a monster ls or a high powered home made one might beable to match for speed but the fact that all that force acting on something the total size of mabey the head of a streamline with the hardness of iron.

But just to show im not trying to weasle my way out of wearing dorky safty specks I know that most autostores and hardwere stores are now (and have been for a while) selling sunglass safty specks that actually act like sunglasses
    SnowDragon
    SnowDragon

Post  SnowDragon Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:24 pm

Got a foolproof idea.

Buy two of your selected protective eyewear choice. Stomp on one of them. If it cracks, use the other one. If it shatters, don't use the other one.

Hahahah.

Seriously though, I'm getting in a pair of yellow tinted airsoft glasses. Pretty stylish and rated to shrug off hard airsoft impacts much harder than any nerf dart could hit. Just get a pair of those, they are like 9 bucks plus postage.
    TheNed
    TheNed

Post  TheNed Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:54 pm

When selecting eye protection options, keep in mind this is a projectile sport.The testing has already been done for you by super trained lab Boffins, AS1337(Australian Standard) covers all face shields, glasses, goggles and the like. So when you go to purchase some form of eye saving device check for AS1337 compliance.

Switchblade
    Switchblade

Post  Switchblade Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:05 am

TheNed wrote:When selecting eye protection options, keep in mind this is a projectile sport.The testing has already been done for you by super trained lab Boffins, AS1337(Australian Standard) covers all face shields, glasses, goggles and the like. So when you go to purchase some form of eye saving device check for AS1337 compliance.

TheNed
    TheNed

Post  TheNed Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:19 am

What is this "leet" you speak of?
    Winterstrike

Post  Winterstrike Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:20 am

Cost shouldn't even be a consideration when it comes to eye safety.
    nerffirefight24
    nerffirefight24

Post  nerffirefight24 Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:57 am

Why are we even talking about cost, you could go to your local Bunnings and get a pair of safety goggles for only $7 or so.
    -Adam-
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:13 pm

nerffirefight24 wrote:Why are we even talking about cost, you could go to your local Bunnings and get a pair of safety goggles for only $7 or so.
    -Adam-

Yeah Bunnings has a pretty decent range of glasses too. There are some pretty stylish looking ones if anyone is worried about goofyness factor.
    radiantraidercs-35
    radiantraidercs-35

Post  radiantraidercs-35 Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:50 pm

Have tested A modded titan range at 160ft propelling heavys (heavy waighted stefans) against Spy Gear nightvision glasses from less than 5ft away only left a scratch
    SnowDragon
    SnowDragon

Post  SnowDragon Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:49 pm

radiantraidercs-35 wrote:Have tested A modded titan range at 160ft propelling heavys (heavy waighted stefans) against Spy Gear nightvision glasses from less than 5ft away only left a scratch

I like it when people modify a nerf gun so much it damages plastic eyewear.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:59 pm