Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+7
gooni
Xoenz
Synergie
Roger Explosion
oxymoron
clunk07
NachoTaco
11 posters

Nerf Stampede Voltage Modification

NachoTaco
    NachoTaco

Nerf Stampede Voltage Modification Empty Nerf Stampede Voltage Modification

Post  NachoTaco Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:00 am

Nerf Stampede Voltage Modification

This Modification will increase the Rate of fire of you Nerf Stampede.

Modification Outcomes
    I present to you, the RoF increase mod for the Nerf Stampede!
    The main two reasons why you would do this to your Nerf stampede are because of the increased Rate of Fire and the drastic Weight Reduction.
    The Stock stampede shoots around 3 darts per second but with this mod you can shoot nearly 4 darts per second.
    The stock batteries of the Nerf stampede are six D cell Batteries. Just the batteries weigh 650 grams. With this modification I will be using 8 x AA batteries,
    and these weigh 230 grams.

Modification Description
    I really wanted a gun that would be great fun to use in Nerf wars and playing Nerf with my little brother at home,
    and I thought that the increased Rate of Fire and weight reduction would accomplish this.

Modifications Process
    List of Tools/Materials:
    - 8 x AA Batteries
    - 8 x AA Battery pack/holder
    - Small Philips Head Screw Driver
    - Tin Snips (or a good pair of scissors)
    - Solder
    - Soldering Iron
    - Cardboard
    - Duct Tape or E-Tape

Step 1:
    First you need to take the battery tray out of the Nerf Stampede.
    Step 2:
    Then you will need to unscrew the six screws on the bottom of the battery tray.
    Nerf Stampede Voltage Modification 100_4689

Step 3:
    Lightly pull the battery tray apart (about 3 cm apart) and shake or somehow get those battery holder things out.
    Nerf Stampede Voltage Modification 100_4691
    Nerf Stampede Voltage Modification 100_4694

Step 4:
    Cut off the two pieces of plastic that are sticking up in the middle of the battery tray with some tin snips or scissors.
    Nerf Stampede Voltage Modification 100_4695

Step 5:
    Place your 8 x AA batteries into your battery pack/holder.
    Nerf Stampede Voltage Modification 100_4698

Step 6:
    Solder your connector onto the positive and negative terminals on the stampede battery tray. Alternatively you could just solder your battery pack directly.
    The spring like coil is the negative and the flat piece of metal is the positive.
    Also note you are soldering this to the side of the battery tray that enters the Stampede first.
    Nerf Stampede Voltage Modification 100_4706
    Nerf Stampede Voltage Modification 100_4704

Step 7:
    Connect the battery pack up and then add the necessary pieces of cardboard in order for you Battery pack to fit in nice and snug.
    Nerf Stampede Voltage Modification 100_4703
    Nerf Stampede Voltage Modification 100_4708
    Nerf Stampede Voltage Modification 100_4710

The only downside to this modification is that you would be regularly buying AA batteries. So I would recommend
    getting some decent re-chargeable batteries to save you the time and money of buying new batteries every time your old ones run out.
    Enjoy:)

Demonstration Video:

Last edited by NachoTaco on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Nerf Stampede Voltage Modification Empty Re: Nerf Stampede Voltage Modification

Post  clunk07 Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:22 am

Nice write-up, but I'd suggest using 4 x 14500 Li-ion batteries without PCB protection. You don't need to mess around with hacking the battery tray, as a 4 x AA holder fits in where a D cell battery usually does. This will also give you around 16.8 volts, instead of 12v.
    Although, this is a good option for people who can't get access to 14500's. Another option would be to use a 10 x AA holder, but again, rechargeable NimH or NiCd's are fairly expensive.
    oxymoron
    oxymoron

Post  oxymoron Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:25 am

Increasing ROF on a stampede is not exactly a new concept but you did a great job on the write-up :cheers:. I originally did the same thing to my Stampede but I used a 10xAA holder for 15V and fitted a 9Kg spring etc.
    Roger Explosion
    Roger Explosion
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Roger Explosion Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:13 am

There is also a much easier way of doing this mod
    Nerf Stampede Voltage Modification Imgp1688
    wiring 2 4AA battery holders in series. Don't even need to modify the battery tray.
    NachoTaco
    NachoTaco

Post  NachoTaco Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:26 am

Roger Explosion wrote:There is also a much easier way of doing this mod
    Nerf Stampede Voltage Modification Imgp1688
    wiring 2 4AA battery holders in series. Don't even need to modify the battery tray.

Good idea. A main reason I did this mod was that I had the materials lying around, but yes if had I put more time into it and
    spent a little bit of money then I would have done something a bit simpler.

oxymoron wrote:Increasing ROF on a stampede is not exactly a new concept but you did a great job on the write-up cheers. I originally did the same thing to my Stampede but I used a 10xAA holder for 15V and fitted a 9Kg spring etc.

Yes a thought about doing something like this; adding around 16V and replacing the spring, but I didn't
    have any suitable springs and I had all the materials for 12V so that's what I did.

Thanks
    Synergie
    Synergie

Post  Synergie Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:59 am

clunk07 wrote:Nice write-up, but I'd suggest using 4 x 14500 Li-ion batteries without PCB protection. You don't need to mess around with hacking the battery tray, as a 4 x AA holder fits in where a D cell battery usually does. This will also give you around 16.8 volts, instead of 12v.
    Although, this is a good option for people who can't get access to 14500's. Another option would be to use a 10 x AA holder, but again, rechargeable NimH or NiCd's are fairly expensive.

Where might I find the Li-on batteries required for your first suggestion?
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Xoenz Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:08 am

Synergie wrote:
    clunk07 wrote:Nice write-up, but I'd suggest using 4 x 14500 Li-ion batteries without PCB protection. You don't need to mess around with hacking the battery tray, as a 4 x AA holder fits in where a D cell battery usually does. This will also give you around 16.8 volts, instead of 12v.

Only place I know of is dealsextreme.

Pm me if you want the link.
    gooni
    gooni

Post  gooni Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:54 pm

Xoenz wrote:
    Synergie wrote:

Only place I know of is dealsextreme.

Pm me if you want the link.

Also if you look on ebay you will find them too.

Gooni.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Yeah, I would recommend you not to put on full auto for more than 4-5 shots. You'll burn out the motor that way lol.

Well at least in this modification write-up it shows the versatility of voltage upgrades you can do with materials that you have.
    inf0rm3r
    inf0rm3r
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  inf0rm3r Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:23 pm

I applaud the complexity of your writeup. The pictures are outstanding. This is good shit
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:57 pm

Deal Extreme is probably the best bet - if not the cheapest. Just make sure you purchase unprotected batteries, otherwise it won't work.

Another slightly more expensive option, is to purchase the batteries from here:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?230876-AW-s-LiIon-Batteries-Sales-Thread-*Part-12*

Roughly $24 for 4 batteries delivered with tracking. They're alot higher quality, and you're guaranteed succesful recharges for a long time. My experience with Trust/Ultra Fire batteries is that while they are inexpensive, they generally only recharge a handful of times. You can also buy the appropriate charger from the above link, for a very good price.

Just remember that when using non-protected batteries, you need to keep an eye on them whilst charging, to ensure they don't exceed 4.2v. You don't need to monitor them constantly, just a quick check with a multi every 10 minutes or so will be fine. Once you've charged them a few times, you'll have a better handle of the time it takes, so you won't need to check them as often.
    lefty
    lefty

Post  lefty Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:43 am

Or you could try a 12v 800mah SLA from century for about $40 inc charger. They weight about the same as the aa setup and are from a local business. We run a BT + other spring and still fire more than 3 darts a second. If you need more RoF, try aiming
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:32 pm

lefty wrote:Or you could try a 12v 800mah SLA from century for about $40 inc charger. They weight about the same as the aa setup and are from a local business. We run a BT + other spring and still fire more than 3 darts a second. If you need more RoF, try aiming

Higher voltage does more than just increase ROF. If you're using a heavier load spring, more voltage will not only increase ROF, but will extend the run-time of your battery/s.
    phuonguyen
    phuonguyen

Post  phuonguyen Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:31 am

If you were to use higher volatges, I would recommend using heavier gauge wire, to accomodate for the higher amperage of the output power. You wouldn't want to go through the wiring to fix the melted 0.5mm wires that are used in Nerf/BB electronics.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:53 am