Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+7
Silent Scope
TheBradl3s
gooni
seph
CaptainSurprise
redcricket077
psyk
11 posters

Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod

psyk
    psyk

Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod Empty Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod

Post  psyk Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:08 am

** PICTURE INTENSIVE POST **

Before I begin, I want to clearly state that this mod is solely for research and practise purposes.
    If you decide to perform this mod or something similar to this mod, know that a singled / single dart firing Hydro Cannon IS BANNED AT WARS.
    In my opinion, even if it is RSCB'd or Hoppered or Choppered, it IS STILL BANNED FOR USE AT WARS.
    So, think twice first before performing this mod.

Okay so I saw this video by Jerm781:

and in it, he swapped the stock Hydro Cannon (HC) pump with an Air Tech 2000 pump, and all he did was install a coupler at the muzzle of this blaster. What got me interested was the sheer velocity of the rocket being fired. I told myself that I had to try that out.

After the HC hit the stores here in my country, I sought reviews from fellow nerfers like SGNerf and Fish, and they mentioned that the stock pump was really puny and you needed to pump it at least 40 times to get a decent amount of air. I thought about it and I didn't want to have to pump 40 times inbetween each shot if I was going to convert this water blaster into a dart blaster.

I saw internal pics on the modworks blog, and I decided that once I get a HC for myself I would remove the water tank, move the entire air tank assembly towards the back of the blaster, and create an internal RSCB, much like how my Shot Blast and my Mega Strike blasters are made.

But... The internals were not as I had expected. And thus began my 1.5 week journey of this brain wrecking, finger numbing, hand hurting conversion.

Here goes.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I picked up this dope ball pump:
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 01

I found this Umbro Double Action ball pump at a sports store. It's a ball pump, so that means that air volume per pump would be rather high, and double action means that 1 "pump" would actually be the equivalent of 2 pumps.

So I cut out some spare vinyl tubing I had from a broken RF20 and connected it to the air output of the Umbro pump. It was an easy job. Unscrew the gold metal cap, take out the stock connector, squeeze in the RF20 vinyl tube, apply plumber's goop, screw the gold cap back on and let the goop cure.
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 02
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 03

Then, I opened up the HC.
    I epoxied the pump to the stock plastic pump connector.

Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 03B

Then I cut the tube to the water tank, and removed the water tank totally.
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 04

This next part is purely for cosmetic purposes only. You can choose not to do this if you dont want to.

I got myself a length of 55mm thinwall PVC pipe, cut it into half, and epoxied it on the inside of the shell, to cover up the "holes" in the back of the shell.
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 05
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 06

Then, I took out the air tank assembly, and before I dremelled off the orange cap at the mouth of the air tank, I did some test fitting with PVC tubes, and surprise, surprise:
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 08

20mm Thinwall UPVC fits perfectly over the orange cap.
    So I nested some 16mm thinwall UPVC into the 20mm thinwall UPVC and epoxied everything down.

Now look at the front orange piece:
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 07

yes, a 16mm thinwall UPVC will nest perfectly into the muzzle area, with no need to dremel anything at all. The rest of it just shows the nesting compatibility, which is also the barrel material I will be using.

Now, on to the chopper.
    Why Chopper?

I initially wanted to create an internal RSCB for this blaster... but once you take a look on the inside, there will be absolutely no space for you to fit an internal RSCB. At the same time, I didn't want a super long Hopper clip sticking out and blocking my line of sight... so I decided to make a chopper instead.

First, I got some Europet PETG and created a half-pipe at one end. This end will be going into the barrel end of the PVC wye.
    (no, I'm not going to do a tutorial on a chopper or how a chopper works.)
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 09

Next, essential to the chopper is a 45 degree PVC elbow joint.
    I had on me a 13mm 45degree PVC elbow joint and some 16mm PVC so I dremelled the inside of the 13mm elbow joint till stefan darts could fall through easily, and gooped a piece of 16mm thinwall UPVC on one end.
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 10

PVC wyes come in the US standard, which is the size of 15mm PVC, but I had only 13mm, 16mm and 20mm, so I broke out my dremel and dremelled the wye out a little bit till I could fit a 16mm thinwall UPVC pipe into the wye.
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 11

Next comes the main shell.
    Shave / Cut / Sand / Dremel these down. I had to make sure that everything was flush / almost flush with the walls of the blaster or else the new pump would be blocked. (on both sides of the shells, please.) And yes, cut away the big screw post in the middle of the blaster.
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 12
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 12c
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 12d

I also had to cut out these parts on the left half of the shell (left half meaning the half where the screws would go)
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 12b

and then I did this:
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 12e

So now back to the orange piece at the front, I epoxied a small "ring" of 16mm thinwall UPVC into the muzzle area:
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 13

and then, I had to shave off the back part of the center rail to accomodate the chopper clip, like so:
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 14

So now, this is what the front area looks like:
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 15

Next, I had to think of a way to prevent the whole entire assembly from shifting back and forth within the blaster and I came up with this solution by taping 2 lengths of 16mm thinwall UPVC together:
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 16

and this is how it sits in between the back of the air tank and the back end of the blaster:
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 17

Then I roughly e-taped the pump into position against the air tank,
    and figured that I needed a way to keep the pump in place too, so I came up with this solution using some 13mm UPVC:
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 18

I know that doesn't really make any sense to you until you see this:
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 19

and so, in order for that to work and not let my new "stopper" tilt, I cut a small ring of 13mm UPVC and did this:
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 20

and then I drilled some holes in the pump handle (dont worry, this didn't affect air flow at all) and used a cable tie to secure the PVC to the pump head.
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 21b

It should be sitting inside that area something like this:
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 21

but in order for that to happen, I had to cut away a part of the 13mm UPVC:
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 22

with everything in place, I joined the tubes of the pump and the air tank together.
    The RF20 vinyl tube nests perfectly over the HC's air tank vinyl tube, so all I did after nesting them was to just apply goop around the nested area.

Now that all the "securing" is done, it's on to the trigger.
    Easy. I cut it down and drilled in a hole.
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 23

Then i hooked it up to the air release mechanism with some aluminium wire like so:
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 24

and at this point of time now, the blaster looks like this:
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 25

some close-ups (segment by segment)
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 25a
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 25b
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 25c
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 25d

Just before closing everything up completely, I did a test fit and realised that the shell was a little tight around the area where the chopper would be coming out so:
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 26

After I epoxied and gooped everything in place, I closed it up and thought to myself, "okay this is going to work!" but after being a ball pump, after pumping it up afew times, it will start to get really hard to pump, and so eventually the epoxy gave way. So, I did what I had to do, and used the good ol' cable tie method:
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 27
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 27b
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 27c

Of course, I gooped the entire area to make sure that there would not be any air leaks.

So this is what the internals look like currently:
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 28

This is what it looks like in the shell.
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 29

and now, my Hydro Cannon looks like this:
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod 30

and to end it off, here's a video.

do I think modding this blaster is worth it?
    seriously, no.

Last edited by psyk on Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:01 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Whoops, left out one picture.)
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod Empty Re: Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod

Post  redcricket077 Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:13 am

Great Work psyk, the RSCB looks mean. Shame it isn't worth modding.
    CaptainSurprise
    CaptainSurprise

Post  CaptainSurprise Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:23 am

Again, a solid write-up. Dude, you are reaaally good at these, keep making them!

I'm not sure If i'd bother buying one though, doesnt seem that useful considering they're banned. Maybe if I shotgun one...
    seph
    seph

Post  seph Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:36 am

Still in the shop I see?
    Haha, great mod but I'm a little inexperienced for this
    gooni
    gooni

Post  gooni Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:31 am

Very nice indeed. But as for the " not worth modding" I say wrong, well for peeps like myself in Adelaide where we roll with blasters just like that :P.

The valve and bladder seem to be the same as the IronMan and Arctic Blast(wii) supersoakers. And I have plans for the ironmas SS I have to meet up with my longstrike shell.

Once again your RSCB's choppers (new to me :P) are indeed pimp. Maybe the shotgun idea from captain surprise would suit your war regulations.

Gooni.

Last edited by gooni on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
    TheBradl3s
    TheBradl3s

Post  TheBradl3s Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:42 am

gooni wrote:Very nice indeed. But as for the " not worth modding" I say wrong, well for peeps like myself in Adelaide where we roll with blasters just like that :P.

The valve and bladder seem to be the same as the IronMan and Arctic Blast(wii) supersoakers. And I have plans for the ironmas SS I have to meet up with my longstrike shell.

Once again your RSCB's are indeed pimp. Maybe the shotgun idea from captain surprise would suit your war regulations.

Gooni.

ahhh, but they arnt RSCB's.. they are choppers!

Anyway what to say for this?

Beastly.

- Brad
    psyk
    psyk

Post  psyk Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:00 am

CaptainSurprise wrote:Again, a solid write-up. Dude, you are reaaally good at these, keep making them!

I'm not sure If i'd bother buying one though, doesnt seem that useful considering they're banned. Maybe if I shotgun one...

thing is, inbetween "shots" of each shotgun blast... you need some major pumping... lol

seph wrote:Still in the shop I see?
    Haha, great mod but I'm a little inexperienced for this

yes still in the shop. nowhere else HAHA
    dont worry bro we all start somewhere.

my first air-tank related mod was the BBBB, but it was nothing but just slapping on a coupler. the next one was my megastrike.

the best way to learn is actually, making mistakes, and leaning how to rectify them.

gooni wrote:Very nice indeed. But as for the " not worth modding" I say wrong, well for peeps like myself in Adelaide where we roll with blasters just like that :P.

Once again your RSCB's choppers (new to me :P) are indeed pimp. Maybe the shotgun idea from captain surprise would suit your war regulations.

Gooni.

well... it's a huge air bladder, and the firing mechanism is actually a ball valve!

TheBradl3s wrote:
    ahhh, but they arnt RSCB's.. they are choppers!

Anyway what to say for this?

Beastly.

- Brad

thanks bro. hahaha
    Silent Scope
    Silent Scope

Post  Silent Scope Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:41 pm

This blaster looks absolutely evil. I mean, evil chopper setup with alien District 9 motif, dual-action pump, and black Europet PETG; I'd love to see our FFP sharpshooter stomp the field with these.

The front housing looks nice and big to put a turret for an alternative to Airtechs.

How's the Europet request going? I grow more envious for it lol.
    gooni
    gooni

Post  gooni Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:01 pm

psyk wrote:
    well... it's a huge air bladder, and the firing mechanism is actually a ball valve!

Indeed it is, here is my Iron Man tank/bladder and valve
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod Dscn2831

From what I seen in your pics, they are the same. Apart from the angle that the tank come off the valve.
    taerkitty
    taerkitty

Post  taerkitty Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:36 pm

I believe the Max-D SuperSoaker line also uses these valves. They don't have high reliability ratings, btw.
    psyk
    psyk

Post  psyk Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:34 pm

Silent Scope wrote:This blaster looks absolutely evil. I mean, evil chopper setup with alien District 9 motif, dual-action pump, and black Europet PETG; I'd love to see our FFP sharpshooter stomp the field with these.

The front housing looks nice and big to put a turret for an alternative to Airtechs.

How's the Europet request going? I grow more envious for it lol.

hey man! yeah you're right, the front housing probably can fit even an RF20 turret.
    anyways, the Europet request is going... I don't know? Cos I haven't had the chance to pop by the shop. I'll definitely let you know once I get my paws on more!

gooni wrote:Indeed it is, here is my Iron Man tank/bladder and valve
    Super Soaker Hydro Cannon mod Dscn2831

From what I seen in your pics, they are the same. Apart from the angle that the tank come off the valve.

yes, yes, judging from your pic, i'm pretty confident in saying that it is the same!

taerkitty wrote:I believe the Max-D SuperSoaker line also uses these valves. They don't have high reliability ratings, btw.

I don't know SuperSoakers well... but I'm sure that you're right
    WV17
    WV17

Post  WV17 Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:07 am

Im pretty sure the reliability problems are related to spring breakage. As thats whats happened to every broken blaster of mine.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:01 pm

Hey psyk,

I've got 2 HydroCannon's in the workshop, but haven't had time to open one up yet. Do they have a hard plastic tank like the titan, or is that a bladder inside that white tank?

Cheers,
    psyk
    psyk

Post  psyk Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:00 pm

clunk07 wrote:Hey psyk,

I've got 2 HydroCannon's in the workshop, but haven't had time to open one up yet. Do they have a hard plastic tank like the titan, or is that a bladder inside that white tank?

Cheers,

Hey man!

It's a bladder in that white tank.
    The entire system almost identical to the Super Soaker Arctic Blast.
    However, it's not a CPS type of firing system, it's a ball valve that just "throws up" the entire pressurized content, much like a hurl from a Boomer in L4D. hahaha.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:23 am

Thanks psyk,

It's pretty sad I had to ask the question, when I've got 2 downstairs, but apparently there's heaps of screws holding it together... haha

Cheers mate.
    makeitgo
    makeitgo

Post  makeitgo Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:31 am

I might have to go pick this up again. I returned the first one I bought because I bought it at full price, $29.99, and you said it was too much trouble. ... but the store I bought it at is being shoced out of the way by Target, coming in a few months. The whole store is 40% to 75% off everything. The Hydro Cannon is now only $16.99. It's at $34.99 at Walmart.
    psyk
    psyk

Post  psyk Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:33 am

Clunk, i understand the hassle so no worries
    Just take note that when opening the HC up, attack the pump screws first, then attack the screws on the round cap at the tail end of the HC, before unscrewing those on the main body.

MIG: Haha well since it's so cheap, go grab one! i bet you could get crazy ranged with this too. 250ft probably? Haha!

And for everyone else, I didn't put this down in text but using a 2ft long barrel like I did in my vid does nothing but decrease range. I did a proper range test and found that a 1 to 1.5ft barrel gets WAY better ranges.

However, I've sold this blaster so I can't tell you much more.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:24 pm

Thanks for the tip psyk. I'm hoping to get bigger ranges than a Titan out of this, just need to find time to attack it.

I will take note of the shortened barrel.

Cheers,

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:37 pm