Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+13
inf0rm3r
NachoTaco
interflop
redcricket077
Mozart
Xoenz
abowden
littlebro05
RL
TheBradl3s
oxymoron
JayDesu
clunk07
17 posters

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY)

clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Empty CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY)

Post  clunk07 Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:58 pm

Hi,

There's bulk material available on the web for LS mod's, but not a great deal in our Mod Directory. Seeing as I'm in the process of modding 4 LShot's, I thought I may as well document the procedure.

Mod's to be completed:
    * Boltsled reinforcement
    * Plunger reinforcement
    * Brass Breech
    * Stock reinforcement
    * Spring and o-ring upgrade
    * Red dot laser

Tools/materials required:
    * Basic tool kit (screw-drivers, hammer, pliers, side-cutters etc)
    * Hot glue gun and glue sticks
    * Dremel/rotary tool with cut-off wheel, sanding drum etc
    * Soldering iron and solder
    * 16mm conduit
    * 1/2", 17/32", 9/16" and 19/32" brass tubing
    * Metal coathanger or aluminium sheeting
    * Epoxy adhesive
    * Red dot laser module
    * Switch
    * Hook-up wire
    * Batteries and battery holder
    * LED and mount
    * Plunger padding
    * Upgraded spring and o-rings
    * Thread tape
    * Silicone grease

Okay, start with disassembling the blaster - removing the stock first.
    To prevent the stock moving while priming (to gain more leverage) cut 3 pieces of conduit, and hot-glue them in to the stock like this:

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Dsc_0310

Next, we'll make the brass breech. Credit goes to ForsakenAngel and SgNerf, who both have written in-depth tutorials on making the breech. Also, if you want to make it so that you can load a clip whilst the breech is open, you'll need to substitute cutting a half-pipe with a quarter-pipe. Full credit goes to Phuonguyen for discovering this alteration. I'll only be giving a brief description in this tutorial (as I don't see much point in re-inventing the wheel.)

Take your 1 foot long piece of 9/16" brass tubing, and cut an 8cm half-pipe, this will be the barrel. Smooth out any jagged edges with your rotary tool attachment of choice. Also, remember that it's generally a good idea to polish the brass inside and out using Brasso polish. Once this is done, you can also add tightening rings if you so wish.

Now that the barrel has been fabricated, it's time to move on to the bolt. Cut a 2cm long piece of both 9/16" and 17/32". Also cut an 11cm piece of 1/2" and a 17cm piece of 19/32". Cut a 5.5cm half-pipe in to the 19/32", and smooth out any jagged edges.

Next, cut the plastic bolt and remove it from the plunger tube. Remove the 3 posts, and cut the black piece approximately 1cm long. Nest the 4 sections of brass together using epoxy adhesive, and glue this to the black piece of the original bolt. It's a good idea to put a piece of 9/16" a little way inside the 19/32" from the half-pipe end, to ensure the 1/2" is aligned properly. This is what it should look like, and it will take up to 72 hours to cure properly.

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Ls_bol10

Cut the orange nub that attaches to the boltsled, and glue it to the 19/32" half-pipe using epoxy adhesive. You'll need to trim it down so it fits inside the plunger tube.

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Dsc_0311

Also, fill in the black part of the original plunger tube with hot glue, like so:

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Dsc_0312

Remember to allow adequate time for the epoxy adhesive to cure on all pieces of the breech.

Bolt-sled reinforcement. By adding extra spring/s, it will obviously require more force to prime the blaster. This causes extra pressure on the boltsled, making it weaken and fatigue. You can strenghten the bolt-sled with a coat-hanger, or aluminium sheeting. There are write-ups in the FAQ section that describe this process in detail.

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Dsc_0313

Next, remove the plunger head. There are numerous spring combinations that can be utilised in the LS. I've settled on the stock spring, with a BT V2 LShot spring. Add these springs, and replace the plunger head. Once assembled, apply some epoxy adhesive to the plunger rod, to stop the head from snapping off. You'll also want to add a stronger spring on the trigger catch (or nest 2 springs if you need to).

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Dsc_0315

You'll also want to add some padding to the plunger head, to prevent damage from dry-firing. I've also replaced the stock o-ring with 2 x custom o-rings, and one layer of thread tape underneath. Apply some silicone grease to the o-rings.

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Dsc_0316

Now back to the breech. Once everything has cured properly, you'll need to nest the 9/16" half-pipe inside the original stock barrel. There's various ways to do this - I use some e-tape to make it fit snugly, and permanently attach it using epoxy adhesive and hot-glue. The completed barrel:

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Dsc_0317

Attach the bolt to the bolt-sled, and check that everything is properly aligned. Test that the darts will fit properly, and that the 9/16" half-pipe slides smoothly inside the 19/32". Breech open:

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Dsc_0318

Breech closed:

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Dsc_0319

Okay, now that the breech is finished, all that is left to do is the laser-dot module. Drill a hole in the orange piece that clips in to the front of the blaster on the top, big enough to mount the module.

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Dsc_0323

Also, drill a hole in to the shell, to mount your switch. I'm using a forward-clicky switch used in tail-cap operated torches. Attach the positive wire from the laser module to the switch, and another positive wire from the switch to your power supply (I'm using 2 x AA batteries to suit the power requirements of the laser). Attach the negative wire from the module to the battery.
    I've also installed a led light on the handle of the LS, to indicate when the red-dot is operational. Run a positive wire from the module side of the switch to a LED (use a resistor if necessary). Also, run a negative wire from the battery to the led. Solder all connections, and shroud with heat-shrink.

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Dsc_0320

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Dsc_0321

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Dsc_0322

All that's left to do is to re-assemble the blaster, and lubricate any parts you deem necessary.
    NB: you won't be needing these pieces:

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Dsc_0324

And that's the end of the mod. With this configuration, I'm consistently hitting flat ranges of 150 feet plus (using custom-weighted blue foam/mini snap-cap darts), with only an occasional dart chomped by the brass breech.

Please feel free to comment with any other valuable info, as I've been awake for 30 hours straight, and the old brain isn't as sharp as it normally is.

Cheers

Last edited by clunk07 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
    JayDesu
    JayDesu

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Empty Re: CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY)

Post  JayDesu Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:16 am

Very nice write up =] It's not necessary but the back of the plunger tube cap, mine started going white due to stress on the joints where the 2 screws go. May be worth reinforcing it with tape (for easy removal) or epoxy (if you never plan on changing the spring again). I know the plunger head would go first but its my 2c worth.

All in all, like very much.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Empty Re: CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY)

Post  clunk07 Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:20 am

Thanks mate,

Mine has done the same thing. I just used a little bit of JB weld, and re-tapped the hole.

Nice pick-up
    oxymoron
    oxymoron

Post  oxymoron Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:03 am

Nice work! Love the laser addition

Might be worth reminding people that the brass bolt piece needs to be inside the plunger tube before gluing the orange nub piece on. I managed to screw that up on one of mine. Luckily I remembered before the epoxy had cured enough for me to be able to save it.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:03 am

oxymoron wrote:Nice work! Love the laser addition

Might be worth reminding people that the brass bolt piece needs to be inside the plunger tube before gluing the orange nub piece on. I managed to screw that up on one of mine. Luckily I remembered before the epoxy had cured enough for me to be able to save it.

Nah, I thought I'd leave that as a learning curve/surprise - as I too managed to do the exact same thing on my first one. Although, I didn't realise until after the epoxy had cured. I had to do quite alot of cutting n shutting for it to work - how I love JB Weld epoxy!!
    TheBradl3s
    TheBradl3s

Post  TheBradl3s Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:11 am

Kudos to you! I was thinking of making a Write-up for this, but hey, you beat me to it lol!

- Brad
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:16 am

With the V2 spring so powerful, is there much difference with putting the stock spring on and leaving it out?
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:23 am

Hey Brad, thanks for that. Although I wish you had of done it - took quite a few hours out of my sleep-deprived body to finish it!!

2120 wrote:With the V2 spring so powerful, is there much difference with putting the stock spring on and leaving it out?

I've noticed quite a decent range improvement with having both springs - approximately 30 feet flat. Obviously, this won't be the case for everybody, just what I've seen with the mods that I've completed.

Admittedly, it does put quite alot of stress on the blaster. It does take a bit of power to prime it, but I can cycle through an 18-round clip with no issues - I do work out in the gym fairly often though, and I'm used to drawing-back decent poundage compound bows.

I will be seriously looking at a shotgun priming system, but to date I've been unable to find any polycarb in small enough pieces, and I'm not overly excited about fabricating one out of aluminium. (being a boiler-maker, I'm not a big fan of alu).
    TheBradl3s
    TheBradl3s

Post  TheBradl3s Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:29 am

Oh, and one more thing, That laser cut bolt sled reinforcement piece isn't going to work very well, as the strain is on the glue, not on the metal. That is why you bend the metal over the sides so it is distributed between the metal, plastic and the glue.

- Brad
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:31 am

TheBradl3s wrote:Oh, and one more thing, That laser cut bolt sled reinforcement piece isn't going to work very well, as the strain is on the glue, not on the metal. That is why you bend the metal over the sides so it is distributed between the metal, plastic and the glue.

- Brad

Should't be an issue actually. KB and a few other I know has reinforced it this way without any problem. + He popped a coat hanger method on the other side too. It's all good.
    TheBradl3s
    TheBradl3s

Post  TheBradl3s Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:34 am

Hmmmm ma bey, but for me looking at it, it just doesn't look like its strong enough. Personal opinion though.

- Brad
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:41 am

TheBradl3s wrote:Hmmmm ma bey, but for me looking at it, it just doesn't look like its strong enough. Personal opinion though.

- Brad

Yeah only one way to find out I guess lol. We should try to get Adelaide Aj's opinion on this. He told me he did it a 'similar' method to my reinforcement method. Not sure how he did his though lol.
    abowden
    abowden

Post  abowden Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:11 pm

Or you could just get an aluminium bolt-sled.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:14 pm

Yep, only time will tell if it works or not - but the guys manufacturing them have put alot of research in - it's not something that's been dreamed up by a couple of kids trying to make a few bucks. (Not having a go at young people either!!)

From a structural position - the small amount of alu on the horizontal edge of the bolt-sled has already been weakened by folding, and being so small, is really not adding that much integrity. Nothing against littlebro's method, it certainly won't have a negative effect.

In a real-world application - the bolt-sled has been reinforced in the same fashion that fish-plates are added to broken chassis'. And you never weld those plates on the horizontal, only vertical. Slightly different seeing as we're talking about heat reaction and metallurgy, but the principle is the same.

Once again, only time will tell. And with the spring combo I have, it should be a fairly good test subject.

And the alu bolt-sled is a viable option - but I'm modding a number of these LShot's, and trying to keep cost reasonable. This current mod costs approx $110 including blaster, and that's without paint or labour factored in.
    Xoenz
    Xoenz
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Xoenz Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:20 pm

Mnm i agree with brad, but you do fold it over the front ledges abit, so could that contribute in evening the distrubution?

On a sidenote if you do break your boltsled i do have a spare one that i could give to you, so you don't have to search everywhere for one.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:45 pm

Xoenz wrote:Mnm i agree with brad, but you do fold it over the front ledges abit, so could that contribute in evening the distrubution?

On a sidenote if you do break your boltsled i do have a spare one that i could give to you, so you don't have to search everywhere for one.

Thanks for the offer Xoenz - if it breaks and I can't repair it, I'll send you a PM.

Cheers
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:09 am

I've had oxymoron's brass breech sitting in my shelf for a few weeks now and I haven't mustered enough cojones to get working on it... say clunk did I hear 'commissions'? lol
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:18 am

2120 wrote:I've had oxymoron's brass breech sitting in my shelf for a few weeks now and I haven't mustered enough cojones to get working on it... say clunk did I hear 'commissions'? lol

Would love to help you out, but postage would be a killer!! You'll be fine, just follow the modworks guide, and take your time. Don't forget to put the brass bolt through the plunger tube before gluing the orange boltsled attachment to it, and test-fit everything before permanently gluing it.

If you're really concerned, you could always do a dry-run, and blu-tac everything in place to see how it all fits together. The scariest bit is cutting the orange boltsled attachment piece - you can cut this piece off, sit it on the half-pipe, and mark out where you have to trim it, but it's fairly straight-forward.

There's really not much that can't be fixed with epoxy putty and JB epoxy weld!
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:32 am

Yeah I'm just thinking how to cut that piece off, lengthwise and otherwise, without having any dremel.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:30 am

You've still got plenty of options without a dremel - depending on what other tools you have lying around.

Obviously, a mini-hacksaw or similar will do for the cross-cut. As for length-wise, it could probably be done with the same saw.
    You could also use an old soldering iron to score a line, and finish the cut with an art/stanley knife, and then trim it up.
    Another option would be to use a pair of side cutter/diagonal pliers, and trim up with art knife etc.

There's really alot of ways to do this without a rotary tool.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:06 am

Ohh, i remember reading this now, didn't realise this was yours, Clunk. This bad boy gets 150'+? Holy smokes! Yepp, doing another Longshot when I can afford it. You didn't mention the V2 spring in the little intro? I didn't re-read the whole write up, though. Does this have the V2 in it?
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:08 am

Mozart wrote:Ohh, i remember reading this now, didn't realise this was yours, Clunk. This bad boy gets 150'+? Holy smokes! Yepp, doing another Longshot when I can afford it. You didn't mention the V2 spring in the little intro? I didn't re-read the whole write up, though. Does this have the V2 in it?

Yeh, I left spring choice up to the individual, hence why I didn't specify in the materials list. This has BT V2 and stock spring - you can see them in the photo of the plunger rod.
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:10 am

Clunk what have you done to the plunger tube back plate?

Also are you clunksworld on ebay? I know that is very stalkerish
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:13 am

redcricket077 wrote:Clunk what have you done to the plunger tube back plate?

Also are you clunksworld on ebay? I know that is very stalkerish

Just put a little JB weld epoxy to reinforce where the screws are housed to hold the backplate on. I've had no issues as of yet.

Yep, that's me on ebay - you stalker!! lol
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:08 am

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Dsc_0310

With this mod, I've found that having this makes priming the gun very difficult, especially with the conduit right in line with the catch and plunger (in this photo the middle barrel). A few hard knocks to the end of the yellow shell (or blue if you're special) sets off the plunger, prematurely shooting/dry firing.

I'm guessing this can be solved with a stronger catch.
    interflop
    interflop

Post  interflop Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:47 am

You can solve that by doubling up on the catch spring. I've never had mine misfire on me with just the stock spring and a pen spring I found.
    NachoTaco
    NachoTaco

Post  NachoTaco Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:50 am

A pen spring? I just replaced my catch spring with the spring under this piece in the stock:

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) 42212512

And then just put the stock catch spring in the stock, so that you can still have the function of a
    clip in the stock.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:06 am

NachoTaco wrote:A pen spring? I just replaced my catch spring with the spring under this piece in the stock:

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) 42212512

And then just put the stock catch spring in the stock, so that you can still have the function of a
    clip in the stock.

Yeh, I'm pretty sure I put in that you needed to upgrade the catch spring.

NachoTaco - nice find on that spring in the stock. My LS is up for a paintjob, so I'll do the swap.

Cheers,
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:20 pm

My first Double Post!!

Update - finished LongShot.

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Ls_lhs10

Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:30 pm

Man, the paint job looks very nice. Did you just do it with leaves? I have to ask, because I really like the idea of having a scope on one or more of my future blasters, how accurate is it and to what range?
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:36 pm

Mozart wrote:Man, the paint job looks very nice. Did you just do it with leaves? I have to ask, because I really like the idea of having a scope on one or more of my future blasters, how accurate is it and to what range?

Yeh, I used leaves, but I've made stencils out of OHP transparency sheets - going eco-friendly and whatnot (really, it's much simpler. You can wipe excess paint off easily, they sit more flush with the blaster surface and they'll last forever - virtually).
    And obviously, the skull is just a stencil, that I've outlined with a grafitti marker.

The scope is accurate, once sighted in. I've actually sighted one of mine in with a bore-sight (wrapped in e-tape to increase diameter), but unfortunately there's too many variations in darts for it to be worthwile. The scopes I use are $7 from dealextreme, and I've used them on .22 cal air rifles with relative success. Realistically, I just put them on for the tacticool element!!
    oxymoron
    oxymoron

Post  oxymoron Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:07 pm

That looks HOT!!!

Paint job commission?
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:34 pm

oxymoron wrote:That looks HOT!!!

Paint job commission?

Sounds like a plan dude. Post me the shell, I'll paint it, then post it back, and hope to hell AusPost doesn't destroy it!!

$10 for paint, $400000 dollars for shipping. Man, I love where I live!! Seriously though, we could probably work out something if you wanted. Mind you, it'd probably be easier for me to post you some stencils.
    inf0rm3r
    inf0rm3r
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  inf0rm3r Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:19 pm

Mean looking longshot you have there Clint! Nice write up to
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:47 pm

inf0rm3r wrote:Mean looking longshot you have there Clint! Nice write up to

Hey, thanks Ben. I was going to stencil this logo on the side:

CWC - Longshot mod tutorial (PICTURE HEAVY) Foam_s10

But, apparently there was some legal issues with copyright etc. Maybe I need sponsorship!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 11:57 pm