Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+3
oznerfnerd
clunk07
Unknown
7 posters

Stampede battery guide

Unknown
    Unknown

Stampede battery guide Empty Stampede battery guide

Post  Unknown Sat May 07, 2011 4:03 pm

Okay, so this guide was first posted by sgNerf on the NerfSG forums but I have added some links so that we Aussies can make good use of this guide too.

Here we go.

Okay, with the availability of the Nerf Stampede, there is now alot more interest in voltage increase mods and i have been receiving tons of queries on what kind of batteries and the circuit setups that are suitable for such mods.

Here is a link to my Nerf Stampede Voltage Increase / RoF & Firing Tests thread:

http://nerfsg.freeforums.org/nerf-stampede-voltage-increase-rof-firing-tests-t1845.html

Note that i am not an electrical engineer or electronics expert, my experience is based on my own hobby research on the batteries and actual hands-on testing with them on modded Nerf Stampedes.

Those of you with experience in RC cars/helicopters/planes and who already have Li-Po battery packs and chargers would already be familiar with how to work with such circuits and power sources.

For this guide, i will focus on explaining the basics of using 14500 (ie. AA sized) rechargeable batteries, as i prefer to use these type of battery sizes due to their versatility in usage. Because of their AA compatible size, they are not just limited to hobby or modding usage, they can also be used other devices like CREE torch lights or even to replace batteries in compact electronics devices (with proper voltage matching).

In addition, with individual batteries, its easier to increase or decrease voltage in steps by simply using more or less batteries.

Here is a quick guide on the various 14500/AA spec batteries i've tried and tested so far.

To start with, the photo below shows 4 batteries... from left to right:

TrustFire 3.7V 900mAh Protected Li-Ion rechargeable battery
    TrustFire 3.7V 900mAh Unprotected Li-Ion rechargeable battery
    Eneloop 1.2V 2000mAh Ni-mH rechargeable battery
    EverReady Gold 1.5V Alkaline battery

Stampede battery guide Batter10

Here are some good batteries --> http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultra-fire-14500-3-6v-900mah-2pack-975

As once said by Clunk07
    Just remember to do a little research on charging non-PCB batt's. They can overcharge, and may explode (unlikely, but possible). I monitor my batt's while they charge, and test with a DMM to ensure they don't go past 4.2 volts.

As you can see, the EverReady, Eneloop and Unprotected TrustFire batteries are all around the same length, but the Protected TrustFire battery is slightly longer. Note that this may affect its installation in some battery holders or devices.

Battery Comparisons:

Normal 1.5V AA Alkaline Battery

These are are easily found at just about every store locally. They have a nominal output of 1.5V each and can be used to provide equivalent voltage as a D-sized battery. But note that they have much lower mAh (approx 3,000 mAh) than a D-sized battery (approx 20,000+ mAh), so the duration of their usage will also naturally be much shorter. In addition, they are single-use batteries and cannot be recharged, so on the long-term they would cost more to keep replacing.

Eneloop 1.2V AA Ni-mH Rechargeable Battery

Eneloop batteries are commonly found at most major hardware stores. They have a nominal output of 1.2V each, but at full charge can show up to 1.4V power. These batteries have very good shelf-life and can sustain their power output well. Most experienced rechargable battery users like Eneloops because of their quality and efficiency. As expected, capacity is not as high as D-sized batteries, and actually lower than normal alkaline batteries, but the offset is Eneloops can be recharged up to 1,000 times, so on the long-term it offers big cost savings. In addition, they can be used in most electronic devices too. They should only be charged in chargers designed to charge Ni-Mh rechargables.

TrustFire 3.7V Protected Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery

TrustFire batteries (or similiar brands) usually have to be sourced from specialized battery shops. They have a nominal output of 3.7V each, but at full charge can show up to 4.2V power. These batteries offer good performance and very high power outputs, so they are commonly used for CREE torch lights or special high powered devices. Their 900mAh capacity is much lower in comparison to other types of rechargeable batteries but its offset by high voltage outputs. The protected versions have an extra circuit at both ends that prevent the battery from getting overcharged or overdischarged, so it helps prolong the life-span and efficiency of the battery. They MUST only be charged in chargers designed to charge Li-Ion rechargeable.

Note: I have tested these TrustFire 3.7V Protected Li-Ion Rechargeable Batteries in my modded Stampedes and so far they have not been able to work properly, the discharge rate is limited by the protection circuits which cut in when the current draw is too high.

TrustFire 3.7V Unprotected Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery

The same as TrustFire batteries mentioned above, they usually have to be sourced from specialized battery shops too. They also have a nominal output of 3.7V each, but at full charge can show up to 4.2V power. These batteries also offer good performance and very high power outputs. The unprotected versions operate more like normal batteries. Overcharging is quite rare as most Li-Ion chargers have inbuilt overcharge protection circuits already, but users have to watch that their unprotected Li-Ion batteries don't get discharged too low or it'll affect the life-span and efficiency of the batteries, one way is to note if the device starts to slow down, that's an indication to re-charge the batteries. They MUST only be charged in chargers designed to charge Li-Ion rechargeable.

Note: I have tested these TrustFire 3.7V Unprotected Li-Ion Rechargeable Batteries in my modded Stampedes and so far they have been working perfectly!

Summary:

- Normal 1.5V AA Alkaline batteries are okay if you have no access to rechargables or for testing purposes.
    - Eneloops are good all round rechargable batteries that can also work in many other electronics devices.
    - Protected 14500 TrustFire batteries can't work in modded Stampedes, unless they are special versions with high discharge rates.
    - Unprotected 14500 TrustFire batteries work perfectly in modded Stampedes.

Ways to Install Batteries and Interface with a modded Stampede:

You can use the original Stampede battery sled by encasing your 14500 or AA-sized batteries in D-battery converters, these are plastic casings which hold the AA batteries to adapt them to D-sized battery.

The D-battery converters come in either 1AA to D converter or 2AA to D converter. Note that 2AA to D converters will still output the same voltage from both batteries, but as they are in parallel, their mAh would combine and therefore double, which in theory means they can last 2 times longer.

Conventional AA battery holders can also be used too, they come in 2AA, 4AA, 6AA, 8AA, 10AA battery holder sizes etc. You can connect them to modded Stampedes using alligator clip wires.

Here are some examples:

Stampede battery guide Batter11

Stampede battery guide Batter12

Stampede battery guide Batter14

With these selections of various battery converters and holders, you can increase or decrease the voltage output of your setup by the number of batteries used.

As an example, i currently use 4 x 14500 TrustFire batteries in a 4AA battery holder and connect it to my modded Stampede, at full charge of 4.2V each, that gives me around 16.8V of power.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

- DO NOT Mix Different Batteries Of Different Voltage, Capacity, Chemistry OR Size! It Can Cause Overloading And Lead To Early Failure With Dangerous Consequences!

- DO NOT Charge Rechargeable Batteries In Chargers Not Specifically Designed For The Battery Type![/b]

Other Battery Related Equipment:

For my TrustFire batteries, i currently use the TrustFire TR-001 Li-Ion charger, it can charge 2 batteries at a time via individual charging channels and is compatible with a range of different sized Li-Ion batteries. These chargers also have to be sourced from specialized battery shops too.

Stampede battery guide Batter15

Here is the charger, note that this one is black however it is the same. --> http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustfire-tr-001-multi-purpose-lithium-battery-charger-12594

Just to share, with its output of 4.2V @ 500Ma, it can charge 2 x TrustFire 14500 900mAh batteries from 3.2V to 4.2V in around 2-3 hours.

I store all my batteries in AA battery storage casings, they prevent the batteries contacts from accidentally touching and shorting out. You can get battery storage casing at most electronics stores.

Stampede battery guide Batter16

I would highly recommend anyone using rechargeable batteries to get a Multimeter, they are very useful to help users find out exactly the status of their batteries and to discover any problems in their batteries before its too late. I have used my Multimeter to detect a number of faulty or under-performing batteries which may have otherwise caused issues if i had used them in my electronic devices.

Stampede battery guide Batter17

Here is a link to the multimeter --> http://www.dealextreme.com/p/digital-multimeter-a830l-mini-594

DIY Dummy AA Battery

Here are 2 methods i've successfully tested out to make DIY dummy AA batteries (they are designed to bypass empty battery slots so that added up voltage can be varied):

(Battery converters can be bought here --> http://www.dealextreme.com/p/translucent-1-aa-to-d-battery-converter-cases-2-pack-22596
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/translucent-aaa-to-aa-type-battery-converter-cases-4-case-54457

Get some AAA to AA battery converters (from Unicell @ SGD$1-2 for 4 pcs), along with either a pack of 40mm length pan head metal bolts (HomeFix code: H-H12) or some 5mm thick copper wire from Daiso (SGD$2 a pack).

Stampede battery guide Diy_du10

If you are using the metal bolts, simply encase the bolt within the AAA to AA battery converter.

Stampede battery guide Diy_du11

If you are using the thick copper wire, just cut a length of it and use a pair of needle nose pliers to bend some coils at each end for better contact, then encase them within the AAA to AA battery converter.

Stampede battery guide Diy_du12

Thats it... make a few sets and you can now replace the empty battery slots in any holders with dummy AA batteries.

Stampede battery guide Diy_du13

This simple mod is reversible so you can just remove the metal bolt or thick copper wire and the battery converters can still be used to encase AAA batteries.

Special thanks to Clunk07 for his advice and sgNerf for his numerous guides.

I hope you found this useful, I know it helped me quite a bit.

Thanks.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Stampede battery guide Empty Re: Stampede battery guide

Post  clunk07 Sat May 07, 2011 11:57 pm

Very well presented, with lots of relevant information. Just to add a few things:

• 14500 batteries dimensions: 14 = diameter, and 500 = length. This is the same size as a normal AA battery.

• The reason why PCB 14500's are longer, is because of the circuit board mounted to the positive nipple. Obviously, the PCB prevents over-discharge, hence why they fail with Nerf mods

• The 900mAh rating of the *fire batteries is a joke. They tend to be extremely over-rated. If you're looking for long-term use and accurate ampreage unprotected 14500's try here:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?230876-AW-s-LiIon-Batteries-Sales-Thread-*Part-12*

• The battery charger you have shown is good, but the Ultrafire WF-139 charger is more suited for use with non-pcb Li-ion's, and it can still charge multiple sizes.

• These batteries are designed for use in certain CREE LED flashlights, DO NOT use unprotected versions in torches.

• Always keep Li-ion batteries fully-charged, if you intend to store them for any period of time.

• It's best not to connect the battery holder via croc clips, if you have the correct tooling and ability, you're better off soldering the leads to the terminals in the battery sled. This is still reversible.

Once again, very nice work. I had planned on doing a similar write-up, so you've saved me alot of time!! Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
    oznerfnerd
    oznerfnerd
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  oznerfnerd Sun May 08, 2011 12:56 am

Hi,

I tried them all.

From NiCd remote control car batteries, to hugely expensive LiPo helicopter bateries.

Far enough, the LiPo's have a huge discharge rate and capacity.

But nothing is a suitable and cheap as the trustfire unprotected 14500's from deal extreme.

I put all the other stuff I bought in a box, and just use these now.

They weigh almost nothing, and a 4x AA holder will fit almost perfectly in one D size compartment.

The weight loss in the Stampede is great, and it feels perfectly balanced (unlike how it feels with a belly ful of D cells).

With them charged to 4.2v, you can configure them to get you desired voltage.

For young nerfers on a budget, they are the answer.

Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Sun May 08, 2011 1:34 am

Awesome, very useful, as the two previous comments were, too. Thanks all three of you, I'll be going for the TrustFire unprotecteds when I get around to it. This will convert straight over to a Swarmfire, being as it's the same voltage and everything, right?

Thanks all,
    Cody
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun May 08, 2011 4:00 am

Mozart wrote:Awesome, very useful, as the two previous comments were, too. Thanks all three of you, I'll be going for the TrustFire unprotecteds when I get around to it. This will convert straight over to a Swarmfire, being as it's the same voltage and everything, right?

Thanks all,
    Cody

Yeh mate, I'm using the same set-up in my Stampede, as I do in my SF. You need to do a fair bit of cutting to the battery tray if you used the 4 x AA holder, so I'd suggest the purchase of 6 x AA - C battery converter's, and turn 2 in to dummy spacer's.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Sun May 08, 2011 4:10 am

Cheers man, will do, once I find that friend with a credit card, hahaa.
    TheBradl3s
    TheBradl3s

Post  TheBradl3s Sun May 08, 2011 5:48 am

I personally tend to stay away from trustfires due to the fact that they won't last long with constant use. If you don't like weight, then they are fine but here is a much better solution.

http://www.oznerf.com/t2177-stampede-battery-tray-mod-for-a-12v-battery

The 12v SLA used is 2200mAh compared to 900 mAh

You literally won't need to charge the SLA even after 10 wars of full use.

The battery + a Charger goes for about $50 and you can get them from Jay-Car or Battery World.

If you like to use your Stampede/Vulcan a lot, then the SLA is the way to go for longevity.

- Brad

Last edited by TheBradl3s on Sun May 08, 2011 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Sun May 08, 2011 6:05 am

It's a great battery but it does have two downsides, weight and being only 12v.

It really depends on your usage.

sgNerf has said the Trustfires will last 700+ shots and they certainly weigh much less.

Post  238232 Sun May 08, 2011 6:19 am

TheBradl3s wrote:The 12v SLA used is 2200AH compared to 900 mAh (Note: the AH and mAh)

Ehh.... That should be 2.2 Ah, or 2200 mAh. 2200Ah (or 2200000 mAh) would be insanely big.

On that note, another advantage for the 12V SLA is that overdischarging it is much less damaging than if you do it to the Li-Ions. Someone (might have been Xoenz?) recently posted what happened when he overdischarged his. Recharging them after that may result in a fire (kinda funny since the batteries are called TrustFires).

The rule of thumb for Li-ions and the resting, open circuit voltage is:

4.2V = 100%
    4.1V = about 90%
    4.0V = about 80%
    3.9V = about 60%
    3.8V = about 40%
    3.7V = about 20%
    3.6V = empty

If you're certain that you'll be able to recharge the batteries before they discharge too far, then go for them, but I figure it's still worth a mention in this thread.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun May 08, 2011 6:32 am

I'm unsure if the 12v SLA will have enough grunt to compress a 13kg spring.

2200Ah would require a trailer to tow around behind the Stampede!! lol
    oznerfnerd
    oznerfnerd
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  oznerfnerd Sun May 08, 2011 7:34 am

Well each to their own, I guess.

I would say that the trustfires certainly don't run out of power too soon.

I've been amazed by how long they last.

I haven't counted them down or anything, but if SGNerf says 700 shots, you could just about guarantee that he did.

My point was mainly how good and easy and cheap they are.

With a heavy spring, I really prefer the ROF I get out of 16.8v.

There are 4x AA holders that will fit in the D size hole without cutting on ebay.

It's all down to personal preference at the end of the day.
    TheBradl3s
    TheBradl3s

Post  TheBradl3s Sun May 08, 2011 7:40 am

238232 wrote:
    TheBradl3s wrote:The 12v SLA used is 2200AH compared to 900 mAh (Note: the AH and mAh)

Ehh.... That should be 2.2 Ah, or 2200 mAh. 2200Ah (or 2200000 mAh) would be insanely big.

ah whooopsie, Yeah your right.

I did mean 2.2 Ah

Silly me.

The SLA has PLEANTY of power to compress a 13kg spring. Just ask Servulus!

- Brad
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Sun May 08, 2011 2:21 pm

I was at Jaycar today and saw the battery Brad was referring to "BATT SLA 2.2AH 177x34x60" it was $24.95.

If only it fit in a Swarmfire...

I didn't see a charger but I wasn't looking very hard, I was mainly after a soldering iron.

After thinking about it for a while I think I prefer the SLA, it's definitely going to last longer and isn't too much more expensive.
    12v is more than enough as Brad said.
    TheBradl3s
    TheBradl3s

Post  TheBradl3s Sun May 08, 2011 2:24 pm

Unknown wrote:I was at Jaycar today and saw the battery Brad was referring to "BATT SLA 2.2AH 177x34x60" it was $24.95.

If only it fit in a Swarmfire...

I didn't see a charger but I wasn't looking very hard, I was mainly after a soldering iron.

After thinking about it for a while I think I prefer the SLA, it's definitely going to last longer and isn't too much more expensive.
    12v is more than enough as Brad said.

Just ask a guy there, They should be able to help you.

- Brad
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Sun May 08, 2011 2:44 pm

I will

My parents were rushing me because they wanted to visit a pet shop...
    Servulus
    Servulus
    Donator
    Donator

Post  Servulus Sun May 08, 2011 2:55 pm

SLA Batteries ftw and i should point to my Stampede Battery Mod. This allows you to put your new soldering iron to good use too.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun May 08, 2011 10:21 pm

Servulus wrote:SLA Batteries ftw and i should point to my Stampede Battery Mod. This allows you to put your new soldering iron to good use too.

Although I'm happy with 14500's, I'll pick up a SLA in town today. I need it for another project, but I will run it in a Stampede for comparison. You can never have too many options!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:58 pm