Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

5 posters

Effects of Dart Length to Dart's Attributes

kd_1812
    kd_1812

Effects of Dart Length to Dart's Attributes  Empty Effects of Dart Length to Dart's Attributes

Post  kd_1812 Fri May 27, 2011 5:47 pm

I had read about Informer Range Effect on Length of Foam Post and keep wondering why the lighter dart traveled less further than a heavier one. So I conducted a test myself. I used those to do the test.

Effects of Dart Length to Dart's Attributes  Img00210

After the test, I got this comparision between original length streamline dart vs half length one:

Orginal

Power: Up
    Speed: Slower
    Range: Increased
    Weight: Heavier
    Reliability: Dependable

Shorter dart

Power: Down
    Speed: Faster
    Range: Decreased
    Weight: Lighter
    Reliability: Dependable

Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages.

With the Origanal dart, you get the range and power effective for mid-long range shots but slower speed which many players can see its coming and easily dogde (Except for point blank range). Dart's reliability also affect the its accuracy, I noticed that the older that travel less straight than the newer one (Of course) but the more straight they fly the better accuracy you get in my opinion.

With the Shorter dart, you get shorter range but higher speed effective for short-mid range shots. Recommeded for pistol use.

Besides, Indoor and Outdoor enviroment also affects dart's traveling distances and path. Wind is the worst enemy of dart (in my opinion-IMO). Depending on the direction and power of the wind, the travelling path of dart can be significantly changed especially lighter and shorter dart. Indoor war, shorter dart is a bit more advantage (IMO) due to its speed and wind effect-free factor.
    Shorter dart also increases player's mobility but there's a problem with those darts if you wanna use them with clips. Jams happen quite offen (Still working on how to fix it)

After all, depending the enviroment, the battle field, tactic and weapons, choosing the appropriate type of dart could gain you a bit of advantage over you opponents.

I hope this is informative.

Cheers

Patrick
    Vavoom
    Vavoom

Effects of Dart Length to Dart's Attributes  Empty Re: Effects of Dart Length to Dart's Attributes

Post  Vavoom Sat May 28, 2011 3:13 am

What about accuracy over multiple shots of one type?
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Effects of Dart Length to Dart's Attributes  Empty Re: Effects of Dart Length to Dart's Attributes

Post  littlebro05 Sat May 28, 2011 3:30 am

Either way, you want the longest range in your pistol. So you may as well use a long dart. Lol.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Sat May 28, 2011 5:49 am

It's more about the tip weight than the length, although I do feel length has a factor. Can't really test anything with streamlines, though, it's like a lucky draw, trying to hit something.

Cody
    kd_1812
    kd_1812

Post  kd_1812 Sat May 28, 2011 12:56 pm

@Vavoom: since the Mini dart doesn't work with the clip so i couldnt run the test, I did try but always jam from the beginning...but accuracy of multiple shots is surely low on any type of dart...just spray and pray..

@Littlebro: True...but travelling speed is quite a concern for me...I had seen few real time Nerf wars and also experienced Nerf war myself...its quite easy to dodge darts unless you got sniped. So in my opinion, higher speed means higher hitting rate.

@Mozart: I am running test about the weight of dart tip so i will have some answers for this soon.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sat May 28, 2011 1:49 pm

I haven't really noticed a significant velocity increase, you would be surprised at what some blasters can do. You would have trouble dodging oxymoron's brass breech longshot from up to 30metres. His darts fly FAST. Also is dependent on the blaster too i guess.
    kd_1812
    kd_1812

Post  kd_1812 Sat May 28, 2011 2:19 pm

@Littlebro: wow...this dude's gun is awesome. But if we are talking about stock gun, it would make quite a difference. Anyway, i will run more tests based on those ideas. Thanks mate!
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Sat May 28, 2011 2:46 pm

It's more about the blaster, man. No one uses stock blasters, because they suck. Tip weight, calibrated to the blaster has much more to do with velocity than length of foam.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sat May 28, 2011 3:11 pm

kd_1812 wrote:@Littlebro: wow...this dude's gun is awesome. But if we are talking about stock gun, it would make quite a difference. Anyway, i will run more tests based on those ideas. Thanks mate!

Oxy's an amateur at making Longshot's - 30m haha

Nah, he's got the Ultra spring's, which makes him the man!! I'd hate to be dodging them little bugger's
    kd_1812
    kd_1812

Post  kd_1812 Sun May 29, 2011 5:43 am

@Mozart: Agree...I need to study and research more!
    @Clunky: Haha....I don't wanna fight him...coz I will be dead!!! About Ultra Spring, where can u find it?
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sun May 29, 2011 6:02 am

Haha, no clunk, I'm talking that his dart still travels pretty darn fast from 30metres. When angled it can shoot from anywhere 45-55metres.

The idea of having small 'mini darts' as pistol rounds is pretty cool lol.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun May 29, 2011 9:03 am

I think Oxy's got a truck spring in his LongShot...
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Sun May 29, 2011 9:09 am

Lol, suspension spring? What are they worth, 1200kg each? Hahaa.
    kd_1812
    kd_1812

Post  kd_1812 Sun May 29, 2011 3:46 pm

@Littlebro: Thanks mate! But for me, I am using mini dart as pistol rounds in my private Nerf war with cousins...Hope I could use it someday in public Nerf war.
    @Mozart and Clunky: Rofl...Truck spring...1200kg...tempting...Definitely will get one
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun May 29, 2011 4:01 pm

kd_1812 wrote:@Littlebro: Thanks mate! But for me, I am using mini dart as pistol rounds in my private Nerf war with cousins...Hope I could use it someday in public Nerf war.
    @Mozart and Clunky: Rofl...Truck spring...1200kg...tempting...Definitely will get one

I can hook you up with a good deal!!! haha

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:37 am