Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+10
Echoes
littlebro05
clunk07
matt.chopper
Unknown
-mirsho
NachoTaco
redcricket077
Mozart
14 posters

RFSG Review

Mozart
    Mozart

RFSG Review Empty RFSG Review

Post  Mozart Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:06 pm

This is a basic, first impression review of the ERTL (or Outdoor Sportsman) RFSG, or Rapid Fire Shotgun.

RFSG Review Rfsgdrematic

This blaster seems great to start with. It's very big and long, compared to it's little brother, the PAS. It's very sturdy, has a lot more weight and feels more like an adult's blaster. The shell is sturdy and the aesthetics are quite nice, even though it's a very basic looking shell, like the PAS.

The stock on the RFSG is pretty comfortable. It's such an extremely simply shape, just a very basic triangle, but that seems to work quite well for it. Something like a Raider stock is a little better, but not by far, with less stability and generally wouldn't fit this blaster very well. The grip is reasonable, but not extremely comfortable. Like it's been cut out of a solid piece of wood, then had the edges smoothed off all the way around. It has a lot of flat sides, which makes it a little uncomfortable, although the overall shape is quite good. It also has a trigger lock on the right hand side of the grip, in the perfect position for my left-handed self. It seems to be quite annoying for right-handed use, although I can't see anyone needing to gain access to it in a hurry, so it doesn't really matter. The trigger is very small, about a third of the PAS' trigger. It's a little uncomfortable initially, as you can't rest your finger completely on the trigger, only half of my finger fits on. But pulling the trigger reveals about double the length. The trigger guard is far too big and looks a little silly. It's too big for the rest of my fingers to fit on the grip, although doesn't take very much getting used to. It's also a very nice, basic shape.

RFSG Review Rfsggrip

The mid section of the blaster is, in keeping with the rest, very basic. The priming handle in my own opinion is absolutely excellent. Compared to that of the PAS, it's bigger, rounder, nicer to feel, has more grip, better! I absolutely love it. I looked at swapping the two around and having it on my PAS, but the connection points aren't located in the same place, so it wouldn't have been as simple as I would have liked. Internally through the mid section, there is nothing impressive. The plunger tube is a lot smaller than the PAS, the seal isn't very good, the spring is weak. The only things I really do like are the trigger and plunger rod. The rod is seemingly a lot sturdier than the PAS, which is great, and also the trigger seems to be slightly stronger.

RFSG Review Rfsgpriminghandle

The turret is obviously the main attraction. It's huge and looks very beefy, with a yellow-gold tinge to the barrels. This is where the blaster gets most of it's weight from, as it's a very front-heavy blaster. The rotation mechanism doesn't work very effectively stock, unless you're patient and prime reasonably slowly, but with a few modifications, that should be fixed. It has a 12-shot automatically advancing turret, which really allows for great rate of fire. It's not exactly easy to load stock darts into the turret and also takes time to load all the barrels. It seems that there is a smaller diameter section about 15mm down into each barrel, which annoyingly catches on the back of the darts as you try to slide them in and makes it slightly harder to load. Overall, the turret looks great and seems very strong.

The priming action of the RFSG is quite good and very easy with just the stock spring, although you need to be careful, as priming too quickly or roughly will cause the turret to not advance. The trigger pull is nice and firm, a slight step up from the PAS. The screws all through the shell are nice and big, which is excellent. I had a bit of trouble with the screws in the PAS being too small and stripping the threads out of the shell, but this blaster is the opposite, with excellent structure. Also, like mentioned earlier, it is very front heavy. If deciding on material to modify this blaster, choose a very light barrel material.

RFSG Review Rfsgturret

I usually wouldn't do a review on a stock blaster, but I figure this one warrants a nice review, since it's quite complex and interesting. I think it's great, I look forward to modifying it. Stay tuned!

Thanks,
    Cody
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

RFSG Review Empty Re: RFSG Review

Post  redcricket077 Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:08 pm

Nice, Sweet review!
    NachoTaco
    NachoTaco

Post  NachoTaco Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:31 pm

Yeah, good review!
    -mirsho
    -mirsho

Post  -mirsho Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:35 pm

Great insight on a great blaster. Can't wait to see yours fully pimped up and modded..
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:45 pm

Thanks guys!!

Yeah, Mirsho, I promise you this: It will either be an absolute beast, or sold. Hahaa.
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:48 pm

Take plenty of photos for us, the more the better.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:32 am

Meh, Clunk's already done a tutorial on the Doomsayer. I'll take photos if I do anything different, which I probably will, because Angel's original version used a lot of ghetto with the hot glue, lol. I'll see if I can do a few things differently.

On another note:
    RFSG Review Airrestrictors

Holy crap!! That's a lot of air restrictors.
    matt.chopper
    matt.chopper

Post  matt.chopper Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:57 am

Haha that is a heap of AR's. Im going to crack mine open tommorow. A day of school is so great when you have a stock RFSG around :).
    redcricket077
    redcricket077

Post  redcricket077 Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:01 am

Wow so many ARs. Must have been a fun experience
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:07 am

matt.chopper wrote:Haha that is a heap of AR's. Im going to crack mine open tommorow. A day of school is so great when you have a stock RFSG around :).

Lol. amen to that!
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:11 am

Mozart wrote:Meh, Clunk's already done a tutorial on the Doomsayer. I'll take photos if I do anything different, which I probably will, because Angel's original version used a lot of ghetto with the hot glue, lol.

Angel did, I didn't.... haha

Really only need the hot glue for the mech rotation spring, but that can be replaced with craft foam or similar...

Cheers,
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:41 am

Yepp, made sure to mention Angel, because your Armageddon wasn't fresh in my mind. (:

What did you do differently? Yeah, the spring glue isn't that ghetto, I thought the turret seal was the most ghetto!
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:07 am

I only skimmed Angel's write-up, so not sure about the plunger to turret seal.

It's pretty easy actually. I glued an o-ring in place, and a washer cut out of insertion rubber. Creates a damn good seal, and I even had to trim down the thickness of the rubber to stop the turret from fouling it.

Only took about 5 minutes as well.

Cheers,
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:46 am

Hahaha!!

Angel made this ghetto one out of hot glue, it's crazy strange. But it worked for him, obviously. I kind ov figured the most obvious way would be like you said, glue an o-ring on.. Hahaa.

What's insertion foam, man?
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:27 am

Insertion foam/rubber is used to line the drawers of tool boxes. It's fairly thin, and easy to work with.

Cheers,
    -mirsho
    -mirsho

Post  -mirsho Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:06 am

Do either of you think a total plunger head replacement be a suitable/potential option ? I've looked at a few different write-ups on on how other people did and apparently the hot glue and e-tape are more so temporary, and would need maintenance on a regular basis (as I'd imagine all blasters would), where as replacing the plunger head would achieve a far better seal, without too much maintenance.

Any thoughts ?
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:40 am

Plunger head replacement is almost a must. I'm going to, just haven't figured out how yet. The stock one is pretty disgusting compared to the PAS, which is BOSS!!

I will not be making any ghetto ass tape and glue plunger heads.. Lol.
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:45 am

Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:03 am

This is Australia, kiddo. Australia uses mostly metric. US and some of the UK use imperial still.

point is, i doubt you can get those here.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:15 am

Mozart wrote:This is Australia, kiddo. Australia uses mostly metric. US and some of the UK use imperial still.

point is, i doubt you can get those here.

Believe it or not, that isn't the case. When you buy washers they can come in bother 'metric' and 'standard'.
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:22 am

Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:57 am

Doesn't surprise me, LB. The metric and imperial world is all over the bloody place. I only know the automotive side of it, hahaa.

It's probably because taps and showers are made in the USA or something, so they sell replacement washers and junk for them here, because it's easier.

Yeah, I won't bother buying stuff all the way from the UK, especially just a few rubber washers. More likely to find a suitable material here. Maybe just some nice thick rubber sheet or something.
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:02 am

Yeah, I'd grab a ruler and a compass and cut on from a rubber sheet. You just need to be accurate and take your time.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:07 am

-mirsho wrote:Do either of you think a total plunger head replacement be a suitable/potential option ? I've looked at a few different write-ups on on how other people did and apparently the hot glue and e-tape are more so temporary, and would need maintenance on a regular basis (as I'd imagine all blasters would), where as replacing the plunger head would achieve a far better seal, without too much maintenance.

Any thoughts ?

Go for a replacement if you wish, it's entirely up to yourself. I really can't see the benefits though. Using foam and e-tape isn't a temporary fix, it's virtually maintenance-free I would imagine. I mean, the only thing that can happen is the e-tape would come unstuck. But you'd be able to monitor that each time you re-lubed it. I've actually just replaced my e-tape with some heat-shrink, mainly because I finally found where I had it hidden.. haha!

The plunger seal can't be too bad, I'm hitting 110 feet flat, without using crazy springs. But, at the end of the day, it's whatever you feel better with. I'd probably spend more time focusing on plunger to turret seal, than plunger head.

@Unknown - if you've got access to a wad-punch set, that will save you alot of time with making a washer. Admittedly, you won't have to worry about that, seeing as I'll be making a couple for you!!

Cheers,
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:14 am

clunk07 wrote:
    @Unknown - if you've got access to a wad-punch set, that will save you alot of time with making a washer. Admittedly, you won't have to worry about that, seeing as I'll be making a couple for you!!

Cheers,

Sweet, thanks mate.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:20 am

No problems dude.

Also, Mozart and anyone else considering cutting a washer out of rubber sheeting, you'll need it to be quite thin, or trim it down once in place. I think the sheet I used was only 1 or 2mm thick.

Cheers,
    -mirsho
    -mirsho

Post  -mirsho Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:50 am

Yeah that's what I was referring to - a lot of other guys with RSFGs report the e-tape coming undone due to the lube used/ e-tape quality , etc.
    Guess I've just have to experiment and see what turns out better.
    Thanks for the input though, insightful as always.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:00 pm

I obviously haven't had enough use of mine to comment, but it would stand to reason that eventually it would come undone. I originally intended on using the heat-shrink, but couldn't locate it at the time of the mod.

Cheers,
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:06 pm

Heat-shrink is glorious stuff.
    Echoes
    Echoes

Post  Echoes Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:19 pm

Hrmm, how would you use heatshrink to make the seal?
    Unknown
    Unknown

Post  Unknown Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:21 pm

I'm assuming he'd use the larger of the sizes and shrink it down over the PH before repeating for desired effect.

Post  238232 Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:36 pm

The best part of heatshrink would be that the ends would shrink away from the side of the plunger head, so over repeated cycles the edge of the heatshrink has no chance of rubbing against the wall of the tube.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Yep, some seriously big heatshrink, straight over the top, and a little bit of help from my blowtorch. I should've taken a pic, but cbf opening up the blaster again.

Maybe when I perform routine maintenance one day, I'll grab a pic.

cheers,
    melbnerf619
    melbnerf619

Post  melbnerf619 Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:52 pm

That is actually a really good idea and I might attempt this on my TS but for now i'd go for a 35mm heat shrink tube because the RFSG's Plunger tube ID is 33mm. I could link you to 1m of this stuff for $6 on eBay if you want. I'd really like to see this in action mate.
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:14 pm

Nice review Mozart. You explain quite alot and in detail.

I'm surprised the plunger tube is smaller than the PAS.

Nice pics.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:03 pm