Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+21
LegionOfShadows
natious
JacobYeah
ucwepn
joshredder
Johnson Arms
Calico
Swatsonia
Akimbo Assassin
Sadavi5
dandaldaks
spectre
clunk07
False
LostBoy
oznerfnerd
Arkham
Nooft1187
cfb_rolley
boosted6
GirlyGamer
25 posters

GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods

joshredder
    joshredder

GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods - Page 2 Empty EXCELLENT !!

Post  joshredder Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:03 am

I am loving your take on the Praxis and the Atlantis
    In general, Well done.
    I look forward to see what you come up with next
    GirlyGamer
    GirlyGamer

GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods - Page 2 Empty Re: GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods

Post  GirlyGamer Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:42 am

Thanks.. appreciate that.. just a quick update today as I'm at work lol...

Zelda Scout and Hylian Shield

GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods - Page 2 Nerf-scout-zelda-mod-with-shield-01

GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods - Page 2 Nerf-scout-zelda-mod-with-shield-02
    ucwepn
    ucwepn

GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods - Page 2 Empty Re: GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods

Post  ucwepn Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:52 am

amazing, great job
    joshredder
    joshredder

GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods - Page 2 Empty awesome

Post  joshredder Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:23 am

I personally hate the stampede shield but you actually make me want one
    cfb_rolley
    cfb_rolley

Post  cfb_rolley Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:08 pm

nice! for some reason I've always been a fan of having that shield on a pistol, I think for the sheer amusing impracticality factor. But that looks brilliant, good to see someone putting the shield to use!
    JacobYeah
    JacobYeah

Post  JacobYeah Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:29 pm

Yeah, stampede shEilds are useless and should have never of come with the gun. But u have made a use fOr them. Well done
    Calico
    Calico

Post  Calico Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:21 am

When ever I get sick of painting guns, I come here. It's like cosmetic nerf church!!! Some questions. Do you use air brushing? I'm thinking about getting a kit. Maybe you could do a thread about how to and what to buy... Also, do you do your own stickers or does someone laser print them for you?
    Johnson Arms
    Johnson Arms

Post  Johnson Arms Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:38 pm

Just loving the Praxis and the other guns are looking wonderful, ma'am! I hope you don't mind me adding light to the magazine on my Praxis as well Looks great like that!
    GirlyGamer
    GirlyGamer

Post  GirlyGamer Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:18 am

Thanks for the positive feedback ucwepn, joshredder and JacobYea. Appreciate you took the time xxx

@cfb_rolley you hit the nail on the head, that's exactly why I did it, the pure ridiculousness of it (I said something similar on my blog from memory).

@Calico I did write up a guide thing, but to be honest that was ages back in the grand scheme of things (it's at my blog). I don't use airbrushing, but you know getting a small cheap kit is on my wishlist for next year. I'm not an artist, but I'd love to give airbrushing a try. I do my own decals, trying to source a place to do them for me has been a nightmare to be honest, I'm still looking, so if anyone knows of a printer that can do them in Australia, let me know as I'd prefer they were professionally done.

@JohnsonArms Thanks matey and of course I don't mind! Really looking forward to seeing yours all finished, as I don't think I'll be doing another Praxis for quite some time lol.
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:19 pm

So that's your Praxis you have been complaining to me about how it was a "bitch" to sand and prep, lol. Very nicely done again. I also have a Praxis myself but the Vortex blasters are a bit boring for me to do any modding or painting.

With your artistic skill I would definitely recommend trying airbrushing. I only use a "cheapish" Artlogic air compressor (with air tank) and Sparmax airbrush, they do decent job. If you want to up the standard, you can opt for Sparmax air compressor and Iwata airbrush, of course they will more $$$.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:25 pm

Nice work as always mate.

You can get Aztec air brushes for a fairly decent price, and you can run them off a spare car tyre/tube if you get desperate. I've not used them for Nerf, but did use one for quite a while on scale models.

Really wishing that I hadn't given it to a mate a couple of years ago.... haha.

Cheers,
    cfb_rolley
    cfb_rolley

Post  cfb_rolley Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:31 pm

GirlyGamer wrote:@Calico I did write up a guide thing, but to be honest that was ages back in the grand scheme of things (it's at my blog). I don't use airbrushing, but you know getting a small cheap kit is on my wishlist for next year. I'm not an artist, but I'd love to give airbrushing a try. I do my own decals, trying to source a place to do them for me has been a nightmare to be honest, I'm still looking, so if anyone knows of a printer that can do them in Australia, let me know as I'd prefer they were professionally done.

You can sometimes get cheap kits from supercheap, I have one somewhere. they're pretty rubbish but good enough to practice on stuff to decide whether or not to go and buy a decent kit. It does take a lot of practice at first though.

spectre
    spectre

Post  spectre Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:25 pm

GirlyGamer wrote: I do my own decals, trying to source a place to do them for me has been a nightmare to be honest, I'm still looking, so if anyone knows of a printer that can do them in Australia, let me know

I used to know a local signwriter that could make awesome decals, perhaps there is someone near you with similar equipment?

BTW nice collection additions!
    GirlyGamer
    GirlyGamer

Post  GirlyGamer Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:53 am

@Akimbo
    That is indeed the Praxis that was a bitch to sand, though it wasn't specific to that Praxis, I am sure they're all a pain. Thanks for the heads-up re the airbrushing, I'll have to look into it after Xmas.

@Clunk07
    Thanks Clunk.
    It will be the new year before I can look into airbrushes, but thanks for the tip!

@Calico
    Feel like I'm repeating myself, but thanks for the tip. I'm not a painter so I'm sure it will take a LOT of practice lol.

@Spectre
    I ordered a vinyl cutter from the US, we'll see if that's any good when it gets here in a few weeks. Trying to find somewhere that does them locally has been useless.

Latest mod…
    Front section of the Nerf Longshot CS-6, something I thought looked a bit weird / useless as it was. The stock base is the magazine from my least favorite Nerf gun, the Nerf N-Strike Magstrike AS-10. This was my first mod using bond / bog so it took a while.

District 9 blaster:

GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods - Page 2 District-9-nerf-mod-right-dif-gas

GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods - Page 2 District-9-nerf-mod-longshot-mix

Added in an additional connection for people with bigger hands also.
    LostBoy
    LostBoy

Post  LostBoy Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:01 am

^^^^

OH MY GAAWD!!! EPIIC!!!
    GirlyGamer
    GirlyGamer

Post  GirlyGamer Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:43 pm

@Joker thanks matey.. you're a sweety.

Latest mod... I can post this now the cat is out of the bag!
    The Nerf Rayven CS-18 Urban Taggers style. These are the first two pictures released and I'll add the opposite side once Pocket releases it. This is for the Urban Taggers Christmas Competition, so if you want to win it, head on over and enter!.

Had some fun with this one, getting to do a blaster that's not out yet was .. well.. a blast!

GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods - Page 2 Urbantaggers-nerfenstein-rayven-left-1

GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods - Page 2 Urbantaggers-nerfenstein-rayven-warnings-1

Calico
    Calico

Post  Calico Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:21 am

Wow nice, it's not what you know but who.!! So when are we all buying these again? LOL
    natious

Post  natious Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:16 am

Can you share some insight on your weathering technique? Are you using the dry brush method?
    GirlyGamer
    GirlyGamer

Post  GirlyGamer Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:33 pm

@ Calico - well sadly I didn't get to keep it.. It's due out officially late January I think it the rumor, though it seems some places may well be selling them early.

Hi Natious...

to be honest I don't think you need any help at all given your first effort O_o

Dry brushing indeed. Same you might use on small RPG figs (well that's my technique). Usually metal, but that really depends on your base color. I like doing metal even over other color plating, so it looks like the gun is metal beneath the plating on corners or whatever. I've heard of people using silver permanent markers, I tried that once and it wasn't my cup of tea, but you might find it useful. Oh also I've found 'wiping' some metal works well on edges.

natious

Post  natious Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:54 pm

GirlyGamer wrote:@ Calico - well sadly I didn't get to keep it.. It's due out officially late January I think it the rumor, though it seems some places may well be selling them early.

Hi Natious...

to be honest I don't think you need any help at all given your first effort O_o

Dry brushing indeed. Same you might use on small RPG figs (well that's my technique). Usually metal, but that really depends on your base color. I like doing metal even over other color plating, so it looks like the gun is metal beneath the plating on corners or whatever. I've heard of people using silver permanent markers, I tried that once and it wasn't my cup of tea, but you might find it useful. Oh also I've found 'wiping' some metal works well on edges.

Thanks for the reply yourself and Johnson arms are my inspiration, i just finished painting up a matching barricade and it turned out alot better, tho on your latest work the "raven", i cant seem to figure out how you have the weathered look all over the gun, are you using a huge brush? I can understand if you don't want to give away your secrets lol

Also, do you know where i can source some stickers like the ones you use, or do you make them?
    GirlyGamer
    GirlyGamer

Post  GirlyGamer Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi Natious .. I don't think I have any 'secrets' to be honest, happy to share, as I love seeing other peoples work and like to help

All over is literally dry brushing ALL over lol I use a brush that isn't a 0 obviously, but it wasn't big, maybe a cm across. It took a LONG time and also with the Rayven I did it REALLY dry and really gently, you can't see it in the photos that well, but the Rayven has those geometric shapes all over it, like the Vortex line. I didn't want to lose those, so made a point of gently bringing them out. It took a long time, but it looked nice when it was done. As for the 'stickers', I used waterslides on that particular mod as they are thinner, though they can be a pain in the bum to use.

Hope that helps!
    Calico
    Calico

Post  Calico Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:00 am

Ive found that a really soft make up brush works great, always keep it clean and wash it when the paint starts to build up on it.
    natious

Post  natious Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:25 pm

Calico wrote:Ive found that a really soft make up brush works great, always keep it clean and wash it when the paint starts to build up on it.

lol alright, ill have to raid my girlfriends make up box and see what i can find lol, what kind of paints/primer do you use? Do you use pressure pack spray cans or airbrush? I think this is going to be a new hobby for me lol

thanks for the info!
    LegionOfShadows
    LegionOfShadows

GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods - Page 2 Empty Reply

Post  LegionOfShadows Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:01 pm

Good job, GirlyGamer. I applaud your painting skills.

So...Any possibility of a Blade Runner pistol*hint hint*?

Oh, and if you have the time, can you make a tutorial for all us newbs here? So we might have a glimpse into the near lost art of painting perfectly.
    GirlyGamer
    GirlyGamer

Post  GirlyGamer Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:45 pm

@LegionOfShadows
    I did a Blade Runner homage a while ago, but it's a movie I love, so I'll no doubt revisit it.

@Calico
    I read about that before, but found bought blusher brushes cost more than thicker model brushes. Of course if you can steal your gf's that's a cheap alternative lol (personally I would ask! haha).

Addendum:
    Duh.. Beginners paint guide Australia - I wrote this way back, so it is total from beginner, to beginner.

LegionOfShadows
    LegionOfShadows

GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods - Page 2 Empty Woah

Post  LegionOfShadows Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:49 am

Woah, you made my that Blade Runner Proton?

Alright, now you're definitely up there with uin13.

Oh, and thanks for the tut. I'm off to buy me my painting kit after Christmas!
    GirlyGamer
    GirlyGamer

Post  GirlyGamer Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:00 pm

Latest mod that I forgot to post.. duh. I've done a few mods lately, but they haven't been Nerf so I haven't posted them here. This one isn't Nerf either.. I don't think... but close so....

Star Wars blaster with barrel extension.
    The suppressor is a hair-roller. Picked up a couple of packets of these after thinking they'd work great in this manner and it did.

GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods - Page 2 Blastech-nerf-blaster-nerfenstein-03

These are mini-blasters really and it seemed too small to look like anything other than a little kids toy.. but once the extension was on, it actually feels more meaty.

Full write up at my blog for those interested.

I'll have more Nerf mods soon... you know.. when it actually stops bloomin raining! I've been modding unicorns in the mean time...
    Philb2323
    Philb2323

Post  Philb2323 Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:19 am

Love your work! Your blasters look fantastic!

That last district9 piece looks like it is straight out of the movie.

Have you ever thought of making a "white out" version of the longshot? I'm sure it would sell easily, and I for one would love to see one.
    Kaine
    Kaine

Post  Kaine Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:10 am

I have to say, that you have some serious mad skills!
    Probably a little late to jump on the bandwagon but still.

As a thought, and I would wager you get this kind of thing all the time, what do you think about having a stab (perhaps even a hypothetical one) at this:
    http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/%28Serenity%29_-_Mal%27s_Gun_%28dressed_up_Taurus_Model_85%29

Also it's rather a good website for looking up movie weapons, whether fictional or not.
    GirlyGamer
    GirlyGamer

Post  GirlyGamer Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:15 am

@Phil
    Thanks matey appreciate your kind words. I haven't thought about it because I don't own any other Longshots... I'd like to though for sure and a snowtrooper typle look would be good for sure.

@Kaine
    I have the imfdb bookmarked, more so for my love of movies and weapons in general, but it's handy now and again for Nerf. As for Mal's sidearm, I think Brian at JA has those all wrapped up. I can't really do them as I'd need to import the resin castings into Australia and I think customs would probably keep them given they look a bit too 'real'. Also with JA doing a lot of them.. I'm not a toe-treader ;p

Bommah
    Bommah

Post  Bommah Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:19 am

Wow I'd love to get my hands on one of those cosmetic praxis'
    Hypothetically, how much would you sell one for?
    GirlyGamer
    GirlyGamer

Post  GirlyGamer Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:35 am

@Bommah .. given the sheer amount of hours that went into that Praxis, all I can say is a LOT lol.

Another Quick update of my last few, I'm at work atm so no time for a write up sorry! These are all written up in further detail at my blog and facebook page for those who like that sort of thing ....

poor woman’s M5 Phalanx from Mass Effect
    GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods - Page 2 Mass-Effect-M5-Phalanx-blaster-pistol

Lanard homage to the Gears of War Snub Pistol
    GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods - Page 2 Gears-of-war-snub-pistol-lanard-nerf-01

N7 Mass Effect Lanard blasters and Normandy Ammo box
    GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods - Page 2 Mass-effect-N7-blaster-pistol-mod-lanard-non-nerf-Normandy-ammo-box-02

Nerf Scout Mass Effect N7 pistol trio
    GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods - Page 2 Nerf-scout-mass-effect-n7-normandy-pistols-modded

Gears of War Plasma Cannon cosplay prop
    GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods - Page 2 Gears-of-war-blaster-mod-non-nerf-gun

Nerf Microburst Blade Runner mini
    GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods - Page 2 Nerfenstein-super-soaker-microburst-b4-after-mod

Nerf Microburst Fallout blaster prop
    GirlyGamer / Nerfenstein cosmetic blaster mods - Page 2 Fallout-blaster-pistol-nerf-super-soaker-mod
    LostBoy
    LostBoy

Post  LostBoy Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:34 am

I see a dog. D:

Anyway, they all look as good as allways. (:
    Eclipse
    Eclipse

Post  Eclipse Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:56 am

I love Mass Effect so much. Reckon you could make another of those N7 ammo boxes for me to buy? I'd seriously pay quite a bit for that.
    Bommah
    Bommah

Post  Bommah Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:08 am

Wow with your painting talent you could probably quit your job and sell toy guns for a living

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 10:28 am