Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

3 posters

Nerf Recon Dart Tooth Mod

Johnnus
    Johnnus

Nerf Recon Dart Tooth Mod Empty Nerf Recon Dart Tooth Mod

Post  Johnnus Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:27 am

Hello peoples,
    Today, I present to you a Recon Dart Tooth mod. It was inspired by Calico's LS dart tooth mod (here).
    Anyway, let's get straight to it. It's a very basic mod.

NOTE: Before you try this, remember to remove the AR completely, such that the plunger tube is completely clear. If it is not, this mod will not do anything, and likely cause more jams.

I apologise for not having before- pics - I was too much in a rush to take them. In any case, I didn't have a camera anyway.

Materials:
    Recon Dart Tooth
    Recon Barrel Nub (don't know actual name, is part dart tooth goes into)
    Recon Boltsled
    Hot glue sticks
    Apparatus:
    Sandpaper/other sanding tool
    Drill/thin cutting tool
    Hot glue gun

1) Open up your Recon and remove the aforementioned materials from the blaster.
    2) Get your sandpaper, and sand off right side of the bolt until it looks something like this:
    Nerf Recon Dart Tooth Mod Snapsh10
    This will ensure that the dart tooth does not go down until the dart is pushed in as far as possible.
    3) Get your dart tooth, and put hotglue on it like so:
    Nerf Recon Dart Tooth Mod Snapsh11
    Remember to taper the top part so the dart doesn't catch on the hot glue. I had many darts catch on the hot glue until I tapered it, at which point it hardly ever jammed.
    4) Take your Barrel Nub thing, and drill/cut holes in the area where the dart tooth goes into it. Use your dart tooth as reference. The dart tooth must be able to slide in and out easily, otherwise it may cause jams.
    Like so:
    Nerf Recon Dart Tooth Mod Snapsh12
    5) Reassemble your Recon, and enjoy!

I apologise for such horrid pics, but the built in webcam on my tablet was the only camera available. Hopefully you can still see what I've done.

Afterwords:
    I've done this to my AR removed Recon, and it seems to increase range by about a metre, although for whatever reason accuracy is increased a lot (measured by how much spray the Recon had). After reinforcing the plunger, powerstocking the Recon, and extending the barrel (it appeared to increase accuracy), I was hitting a relatively consistent 20m+ range with stock streamlines, some reaching 25m. (the Recon in question looks like this:here)
    This mod will likely work for all other reverse plunger blasters with the same dart tooth system, although as stated in the LS dart tooth mod thread, slam firing may be an issue. Note that this may not work for the AT, with it having a different dart tooth system.

From experience, most consistent results are achieved if you use a Recon Barrel Extension or LSFG (I don't have a Longstrike) as they (appear to) increase accuracy and reduce dart droppage (as in Streamlines swerving downwards).

EDIT: I just remembered, I shaved the inside of the breech very slightly with a drill. Before this mod, Streamlines were having a lot of trouble loading - I had to use as much force as possible just to get the dart tooth to retract, and for the bolt sled to return to its original position. Even after the shaving, I had some trouble chambering a dart.
    I have no idea if this affects what this mod does. However, I do know that after this mod, darts chambered much more easily, which is another bonus.

Summary:
    Pros:
    -Slightly increased range
    -Increased accuracy (further increased with a long barrel)
    -Improved chambering (combined with breech shaving)
    -Easy to do - requires very few tools and extra materials
    -Slight increase in ROF - slide is easier to push to original position.
    Cons:
    -Irreversible
    -Can take lots of patience to get it right (the shaving/drilling etc took about 5 min, the adjustments and measuring about 30min)
    -Getting it wrong will mess up your Recon completely.

EDIT 8/12/11: I fired off 6 darts in the morning, without a barrel attachment. Although all the darts went to the left or right, they curved back to hit the front door (9m range) within a 1m diametre.
    With the extended Recon Barrel (Recon Barrel Attachment with LSFG Barrel), the darts do not swerve and hit the door within about a half-metre diametre.

Last edited by Johnnus on Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:45 am; edited 4 times in total
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Nerf Recon Dart Tooth Mod Empty Re: Nerf Recon Dart Tooth Mod

Post  littlebro05 Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:09 am

I'm definitely going to be trying this out, once I get a Recon off some guy of course lol. I'm quite interested how the simple 'dart tooth mod' can do so many wonders to your blaster.
    Calico
    Calico

Post  Calico Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:51 am

Nice, glad it has benefits in a reverse plunger gun. I also found that changing the degree of the triangle part that retract the tooth to a lower angle made the tooth stay up longer making it push back the dart just that little bit more. Did you try a snap cap with this mod?
    Johnnus
    Johnnus

Post  Johnnus Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:42 am

Calico wrote:Nice, glad it has benefits in a reverse plunger gun. I also found that changing the degree of the triangle part that retract the tooth to a lower angle made the tooth stay up longer making it push back the dart just that little bit more. Did you try a snap cap with this mod?
    I'm currently fixing my dart tooth after a disagreement with my saw (woops). Anyway, I'll post back when it's ready. I've changed the triangle part, so I think (read: hope) it'll increase range and accuracy a little more.
    I've had no trouble chambering Silis or Snap Cap darts - they chamber just as smoothly as Streamlines.

Last edited by Johnnus on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
    Calico
    Calico

Post  Calico Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:44 am

Lol disagreement with a saw. My finger lost to one of those, amazing how fast a circ saw can pop the top of your little finger. But anyway...what spring in in your recon?
    Johnnus
    Johnnus

Post  Johnnus Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:01 am

Calico wrote:...But anyway...what spring in in your recon?
    ATM I'm using a stretched Recon spring (stretched it when I was a n00b) and for the powerstock, some random spring. Melbnerf had it in the Scout when he sold it to me. I think it's a Spectre spring, but I'm not sure.
    It's probably also worth noting that I am using a Spectre o-ring with a little tape underneath, lubed with fix a tap. The original Recon o-ring expanded so it wouldn't fit. The current air seal is quite good, as if I hold a Streamline in the breech, it takes some effort to push in the plunger.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:51 pm