Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+4
|Shadow|
Reaper
abowden
natious
8 posters

[CONCEPT] Homemade Longshot-ish blaster - Seeking input/advice

natious

[CONCEPT] Homemade Longshot-ish blaster - Seeking input/advice Empty [CONCEPT] Homemade Longshot-ish blaster - Seeking input/advice

Post  natious Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:44 am

So after seeing that guys home made longshot on nerf haven i figured i could build that, being stuck with bordem while i way for my uni results come in i decided to try and whip something up.

Dimensions are totally inaccurate. After some advice ill re-model it in inventor after this weekend when i go see what's available to me. Then I'll have some

I plan to use polycarbonate,perspex or maybe even aluminium though it might end up too heavy, probably perspex for the first build as it will be cheaper though in the sizes it will be cut it should be strong enough, but we'll see.

It will have a bath plug plunger, brass breech and accept nerf clips. Most of the stuff looks floating in the pics as i was too lazy to attach it but you can image where the spacers and bolts will be. I'm not entirely sure on how ill do the pump action need to put some more thought into it, any suggestions?

[CONCEPT] Homemade Longshot-ish blaster - Seeking input/advice TmR9z

Here's what it will basically look like

[CONCEPT] Homemade Longshot-ish blaster - Seeking input/advice Czxw5

Here is the plunger, tube and catch assembly in a cut away so you can see, like the nerf haven blaster the whole plunger tube will move backwards

[CONCEPT] Homemade Longshot-ish blaster - Seeking input/advice BpbAZ

Once the plunger rod goes back far enough it will engage the catch, i did ring style catch ring

[CONCEPT] Homemade Longshot-ish blaster - Seeking input/advice W5zXR

Close up of the catch ring

[CONCEPT] Homemade Longshot-ish blaster - Seeking input/advice 5J7pS

The trigger i sthe same as the long shots, it will move backwards and that will lift the catch up releasing the plunger rod

[CONCEPT] Homemade Longshot-ish blaster - Seeking input/advice IBN90

[CONCEPT] Homemade Longshot-ish blaster - Seeking input/advice W607x

Here is what i planned for the shot gun grip, connect straight to the plunger tube

[CONCEPT] Homemade Longshot-ish blaster - Seeking input/advice 3ze8q

This is how i plan to keep the plunger tube attached, it will run on some rail type things.

If anyone has any suggestions on improvements it would be great, im still a noob to nerf so im sure some things could of been done better.

Thanks

Last edited by natious on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
    abowden
    abowden

[CONCEPT] Homemade Longshot-ish blaster - Seeking input/advice Empty Re: [CONCEPT] Homemade Longshot-ish blaster - Seeking input/advice

Post  abowden Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:33 am

Wow, this is one awesome looking blaster already, one day my skills will be as awesome as yours... and it looks like it will come up with few seal problems, you only need to worry about the breach, and the plunger head, once you have tweaked them to your liking, you will be set
    after buggering about with the catch, and actually building the thing of course)
    Reaper
    Reaper

[CONCEPT] Homemade Longshot-ish blaster - Seeking input/advice Empty Re: [CONCEPT] Homemade Longshot-ish blaster - Seeking input/advice

Post  Reaper Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:09 pm

I'm currently designing something similar (although more designed for use as a full-length rifle as opposed to a carbine). Consequently, I'll be following your work closely.
    natious

Post  natious Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:33 am

So i went over it and did things closer to scale, ill get some materials in a couple weeks.

The back part will be some kind firm foam so the handles are comfortable. I still need to work out how to attached the front barrel

[CONCEPT] Homemade Longshot-ish blaster - Seeking input/advice 0gYNY
    |Shadow|
    |Shadow|

Post  |Shadow| Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:19 am

natious wrote:Close up of the catch ring

https://i.imgur.com/5J7pS.jpg

The trigger i sthe same as the long shots, it will move backwards and that will lift the catch up releasing the plunger rod

Just thought I'd let you know that in you're first post there is an image that is as url link instead of a image displaying.

natious wrote:So i went over it and did things closer to scale, ill get some materials in a couple weeks.

The back part will be some kind firm foam so the handles are comfortable. I still need to work out how to attached the front barrel

[CONCEPT] Homemade Longshot-ish blaster - Seeking input/advice 0gYNY

Looks good, can't wait to see a working pro-type of it : )

natious

Post  natious Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:41 am

I went and did some research at bunnings today, the most expensive part will be the polycarbonate but it looks to be enough to make 3 maybe 4 blasters.

I might use a 65mm Plunger tube, that is if i can find a local spring that will be enough, though i could shorten the blaster quite a bit and use a 16kg longshot spring
    cfb_rolley
    cfb_rolley

Post  cfb_rolley Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:58 am

looks like you've got some pretty decent CAD skills going on there, what program are you using?
    Eclipse
    Eclipse

Post  Eclipse Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:11 am

natious wrote:I went and did some research at bunnings today, the most expensive part will be the polycarbonate but it looks to be enough to make 3 maybe 4 blasters.

I might use a 65mm Plunger tube, that is if i can find a local spring that will be enough, though i could shorten the blaster quite a bit and use a 16kg longshot spring

They sell polycarb at Bunnings?
    lech
    lech

Post  lech Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:14 am

natious wrote:I went and did some research at bunnings today, the most expensive part will be the polycarbonate but it looks to be enough to make 3 maybe 4 blasters.

Which Bunnings did you see polycarbonate at ? All I can find is Acrylic sheets at the couple near me.
    evozn
    evozn

Post  evozn Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:59 am

I've seen some in The Altona bunnings, they come in 3mm/6mm of 2.4m2 sheets. They range from 20 to 40 a sheet depending on colour and tint.
    natious

Post  natious Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:40 pm

cfb_rolley wrote:looks like you've got some pretty decent CAD skills going on there, what program are you using?

Im using Maya, though i just model to scale. I downloaded Inventor thinking the toolset would be similar, and it kinda is so ill give it ago in that. (i do 3d modeling/animation thats why i used maya)

Eclipse wrote:

They sell polycarb at Bunnings?

Yeh the brand is called Sunbright, i think its used for window replacement, comes in 600x900x5mm & 3mm, the 5mm is $56. they also have 400x400x12mm 10mm & 8mm it was $46

lech wrote:

Which Bunnings did you see polycarbonate at ? All I can find is Acrylic sheets at the couple near me.

Corner of cheltenham and springvale road.
    cfb_rolley
    cfb_rolley

Post  cfb_rolley Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:46 pm

natious wrote:
    cfb_rolley wrote:looks like you've got some pretty decent CAD skills going on there, what program are you using?

Im using Maya, though i just model to scale. I downloaded Inventor thinking the toolset would be similar, and it kinda is so ill give it ago in that. (i do 3d modeling/animation thats why i used maya)
    I've been meaning to get in to maya, but I never really get the time to sit down and try. I use AutoCAD for almost everything and for CNC stuff I just build a 3d model in acad and export to rhino 3d to save it as a .igs file. If you're need any kind of custom precisely machined parts, I suggest doing that and contacting rpworld.net for anyone doing that sort of thing for themselves.

Anyway, back on topic, I think the model looks great. If you have a set of vernier calipers, I would measure the tolerances of sliding rail type things in Nerf blasters, and try and copy those measurements on yours. Great work!
    natious

Post  natious Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:03 pm

cfb_rolley wrote:
    natious wrote:

I've been meaning to get in to maya, but I never really get the time to sit down and try. I use AutoCAD for almost everything and for CNC stuff I just build a 3d model in acad and export to rhino 3d to save it as a .igs file. If you're need any kind of custom precisely machined parts, I suggest doing that and contacting rpworld.net for anyone doing that sort of thing for themselves.

Anyway, back on topic, I think the model looks great. If you have a set of vernier calipers, I would measure the tolerances of sliding rail type things in Nerf blasters, and try and copy those measurements on yours. Great work!

cool thanks, i want to stray away from custom parts so if its a success other people can make it with ease, yah i have a vernier and most the slides in nerf blasters are around 3mm, but i dont want to buy 2 sheets of polycarbonate.

I still have some things to work out on mounting the barrel and real plunger assembly stuff, though im drawing a blank on doing something that will be easy to create.

If you have any ideas/suggestions it would be helpful, i can upload a .obj if that would help

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 11:02 am