Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+3
Mr_Ektid
oxymoron
clunk07
7 posters

CWC - Nerf Barricade momentary action switch, 9v and laser dot modification

clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

CWC - Nerf Barricade momentary action switch, 9v and laser dot modification Empty CWC - Nerf Barricade momentary action switch, 9v and laser dot modification

Post  clunk07 Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:51 pm

Hi,

After completing SG Nerf's barricade pressure switch mod, I found it difficult to consistently perfect the timing with the trigger to keep the flywheels constantly spinning. I came up with the idea of adding a momentary action switch, in place of the stock pressure switch.

As mentioned, this is just an alteration to SG Nerf's original mod. I've also added a laser dot module, with an active led indicator, as well as a voltage mod to 9 volts. Once I receive my 14500's, I'll be reverting back to the original voltage increase of 8.4 volts.

Let's begin:

Equip required:

(A number of items depend on personal choice - I will list what I have used)

SPT momentary action switch ("momentary on")
    Mini slide switch with solder tail
    Led with bezel(green, 3mm, 1.7v)
    Laser light module (3.2v, 1mW unit)
    9v battery and 9v battery snap
    Power supply for laser light (2 x AAA battery)
    Light duty hook-up wire and heatshrink tubing

Basic modding tools, as well as:

Soldering iron
    Hot glue gun
    Drill/Dremel

Obviously, you'll need to begin by removing the screws from the blaster (don't forget the one inside the battery tray).

Voltage Increase
    The easiest way of doing this is using 2 x unprotected 14500 batteries, with either 1 link wire, or a AA spacer/dummy to fill the third battery slot. The 14500's that I had were protected, which won't work. I wouldn't recommend using 9v as a permanent increase though.

Once you've opened up the blaster, drill two small holes through the battery tray to allow the wires of the battery snap to feed through. Solder the positive and negative wires to the corresponding tails on the inside of the blaster. Next, solder some hook-up wire to link the other 2 sets of tails to complete the circuit.

CWC - Nerf Barricade momentary action switch, 9v and laser dot modification Dsc_0010

Dremel out a groove inside the battery tray for the 9v battery to fit. Also, remove the lip from inside the orange battery lid. The 9v is still too deep for a perfect fit, but the lid will still go on - it does bulge out a little. You could probably dremel out enough for the battery to fit properly, but I've only done this as a temporary modification, hence I've tried not to butcher the battery tray too much.

CWC - Nerf Barricade momentary action switch, 9v and laser dot modification Dsc_0011

Momentary action switch

To begin, remove the pressure switch from behind the trigger lock/on-off switch. I've also removed the pressure switch from underneath the jam slide, and associated wiring. This allows the flywheels to spin regardless of what position the door/slide is in.

Drill a hole in the handle (the side will depend on which hand you use the blaster with) big enough for the momentary action switch to fit. Connect the switch to the wires from the original on/off pressure switch (to avoid congestion, run the 2 wires under the trigger lock), connect power, and the flywheels should spin while you hold the button down, and stop when you release.

CWC - Nerf Barricade momentary action switch, 9v and laser dot modification Dsc_0012

Laser dot and power indication led

Remove the orange holder at the front of the blaster that houses the flywheels and motors. Drill a hole through the orange sight which protudes off the top of the barrel, to mount the laser module. You'll want this to be as straight as possible, and the module will need to be a tight fit. I housed my laser module inside a small piece of aluminium tubing that I had lying around.

Run the positive and negative wires along the same track that the motor wiring follows. Run the negative wire under the trigger mechanism (you will need to drill through a small lip for the wire to fit nicely) Mount the laser, and replace the flywheels and motors.

CWC - Nerf Barricade momentary action switch, 9v and laser dot modification Dsc_0013

Drill a small hole in the rear of the blaster to mount the led light. Secure the bezel in the hole with hot glue, or super glue, and insert the led light in to the bezel.

CWC - Nerf Barricade momentary action switch, 9v and laser dot modification Dsc_0014

Dremel a hole in the bottom of the handle to house the mini slide switch. I secured the switch using hot glue (and maybe a little too much of it!!)

CWC - Nerf Barricade momentary action switch, 9v and laser dot modification Dsc_0015

I couldn't get a 2 x AAA battery holder to fit in the handle, so I just soldered link wires directly to the batteries. I wouldn't recommend this to everyone though, as too much heat isn't a great combination with batteries. There are plenty of other options though, including:

Using wire glue to fuse the wires to the batteries (this is a painfully slow technique)
    Li-ion battery, eg: a 14500 (which will give approx 4.2v)
    3v coin/cell battery in a holder

Whichever option you choose will be dependant on the voltage requirements of the laser module and led light that is used. When I do this to my other barricade, I will be using the 3v coin battery, mainly for size and convenience.

Once you've decided on what battery combination you will use, connect the led, laser module and switch to the power supply, and test. You will need to drill some small holes for the wiring in certain places. All the wiring needs to be run as neatly as possible, as it interferes with the trigger mechanism if not mounted properly (Even though my wiring isn't that neat, the blaster does function properly. I will be re-wiring the whole blaster with some smaller diameter wire at some stage)

CWC - Nerf Barricade momentary action switch, 9v and laser dot modification Dsc_0016

CWC - Nerf Barricade momentary action switch, 9v and laser dot modification Dsc_0017

All that's left to do is re-assemble the blaster.

CWC - Nerf Barricade momentary action switch, 9v and laser dot modification Dsc_0018

I've found the momentary action switch to be alot easier to use than a trigger-mounted pressure switch, and it really doesn't get in the way of holding the blaster. You can change the depth that the switch is mounted as well, if it does interfere with your normal grip.

So there you have it. Voltage increase, laser dot with power indication led, and push-button flywheel activation.

Looking forward to any feedback on my first tutorial. As mentioned previously, the majority of credit for this mod goes to SG Nerf.

Enjoy!!

Last edited by clunk07 on Sun May 29, 2011 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    oxymoron
    oxymoron

CWC - Nerf Barricade momentary action switch, 9v and laser dot modification Empty Re: CWC - Nerf Barricade momentary action switch, 9v and laser dot modification

Post  oxymoron Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:38 pm

That's awesome. I had the exact same problem with the trigger operated switch. Was actually going to revert back to the normal on off switch but now I'll just do this. Thanks heaps and great work.
    Mr_Ektid
    Mr_Ektid

CWC - Nerf Barricade momentary action switch, 9v and laser dot modification Empty Re: CWC - Nerf Barricade momentary action switch, 9v and laser dot modification

Post  Mr_Ektid Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:48 pm

Excellent post. Seems to be a great idea as I too have had a similar issue with the pressure switch in the Barricade.

One quick question for you though...have you been able to find a decent supplier for 14500 size unprotected batteries? Most sites and stores I have visited in Victoria only seem to have the protected variety, so I was hoping to find a decent online supplier whom can possibly sell in bulk (I am thinking of using these batteries in my Vulcan and Stampede also).

Hopefully you can help, if not, if I find one I will be sure to drop you a post!

Cheers!
    oxymoron
    oxymoron

Post  oxymoron Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:02 am

I got my 14500's from dealextreme.com ($2 each roughly) along with a charger $8.

clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:38 am

oxymoron wrote:That's awesome. I had the exact same problem with the trigger operated switch. Was actually going to revert back to the normal on off switch but now I'll just do this. Thanks heaps and great work.

I was also going to revert to stock, but I ordered a couple of momentary on switches by mistake, so there was a fair bit of luck involved. The only other thing I'll look at is the depth the button sticks out from the grip. I'm thinking of putting a little piece of rubber over the whole button. It is a little awkward on the finger - it doesn't really bother myself, but I've noticed a few mates having a bit of a whinge about it. I'll have to see what I've got lying around the w/shop.
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:53 am

(excuse the necro-esque reply, I feel this is relevant)

Hey clunk,

I stumbled upon this mod (for a second time, didn't pay much attention to it when you first released it) and it looks great.

Were you having problems in the trigger where it wasn't going back completely? That there would be 1-2mm open left in the trigger rail? Hence when you released the trigger sometimes it was still pressing down on the switch?

I bought one of oxymoron's Barricades, this one's a real guess but I'm assuming the one I have now is what he was talking about in the thread.

One of the solutions I thought would work, and it somewhat does not is improving the extension spring.
    From the bottom one, to the top one (found it in my spares box)
    CWC - Nerf Barricade momentary action switch, 9v and laser dot modification 15072010

Here it is in the blaster.
    CWC - Nerf Barricade momentary action switch, 9v and laser dot modification 15072011
    Sorry if this is a bit tangental, but I suppose it's a makeshift fix for a similar problem.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:36 pm

Yeh mate,

Every now and again I encountered that issue, but only on one of the 3 Barricades that I had. But that's a pretty good fix you've come up with mate, certainly alot quicker and cheaper.

The main reason I put the switch in though, was it enabled the flywheels to hit maximum RPM alot quicker, and didn't involve timing your trigger pulls.

I've actually changed out the momentary-on switch to a flashlight clicky switch, which is much better. No need to hold the button down now, just click it once for on, and again for off. $0.40 per switch too, which is quite nice!!!

Cheers,
    RL
    RL

Post  RL Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:26 pm

I suppose this isn't a better thread to ask it, but what's the reason why you don't recommend a 9V upgrade?

Thanks
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:32 pm

Just simply because you won't get decent run-time out of the 9v battery, and the decent quality ones are reasonably expensive, as opposed to li-ion's, which can be recharged.

I'm pretty sure you won't damage the motors with 9v, it's just more of a running costs issue. Plus, you have to do a bit of butchery to the batty compartment to get one to fit!!

Cheers,
    mull
    mull

Post  mull Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:38 pm

9 volt batteries have a really crap charge storage capacity.
    Even more poor with rechargeable ones.

Rechargeable NiMH battery capacities:
    AA: ~2700mAh
    9V: 175–300 mAh

At least the 3.7V rechargeable lithum 14500's are around 900mAh.

Post  238232 Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:58 pm

Side note: the reason the capacity is so low is that if you pull a 9V apart you'll find that it's made from six smaller batteries in series, similar in size to AAAA cells (think another size down from AAA cells).
    mister_elliott
    mister_elliott

Post  mister_elliott Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:34 pm

More tangent: I use 9V's to power my guitar pedals, and have taken a liking to duracell procells. They offer about double to capacity of a standard alkaline and in a box of 12 (i think?) they go for about $3.50 a pop.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:02 am