Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+28
Unknown
Saintznerf
Duke
avocadobride
longstrikeguy
Khail
SuctionCup
gooni
Akimbo Assassin
Ezekiel
Psykka
crumpetstastenice
-Aj-
TheKhakinator
piggy123:)
bulletproofvest
mavshot
random guy
Switchblade
Servulus
Genericwizardguy
Neodore
Winterstrike
littlebro05
Frankie27
JustSomeGuy
TheBradl3s
tank720
32 posters

best extra spring for longshot

Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

best extra spring for longshot - Page 2 Empty Re: best extra spring for longshot

Post  Psykka Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:37 am

OK no problem I'll go do it after I vote -.-

I have a really long hallway so hopefully I can do it inside with good conditions.
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

best extra spring for longshot - Page 2 Empty Re: best extra spring for longshot

Post  Psykka Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:18 am

OK so my hallway is only 50 foot but the darts are still impacting the blinds at about the height I fired them (6ft) I'd say they have another 10-15 foot in them. Keep in mind these are somewhat chewed up standard darts. Angel breaching so it can chamber stefans will increase that range further. I also appear to have cracked the plunger head so the range will be suffering because of that too.

But a conservative figure of about 60-65ft non stefan seems about right. It's sadly far to windy to do an outside test at the moment.

On a side note my long shot seems really crummy now after playing with my LBB, mega missile and Titan so much.
    Ezekiel
    Ezekiel

Post  Ezekiel Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:32 pm

I combined my step sons longshot spring with one of those bunnings c-836 springs and it ended up on my neighbours roof while i was in the garage.
    The distance was approx. 24 metres to the point of impact, but i would definately say it would have been alot more if the house had not been there.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:50 pm

I tell you what Ezekiel. Don't PUT the c836 in the longshot. You're putting unnecessary stress on the boltsled and plunger. The other reason being is that the c836 spring isn't the same length and has horrible compression. Just warning you first. :).
    Ezekiel
    Ezekiel

Post  Ezekiel Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:03 pm

haha yeah I realised all that. I took it out after one shot. The sled and plunger are going to be replaced though with aluminium parts. I'm also in the process of torching the spring so i can stretch it out and make it permanently longer.

Thanks for the heads up though appreciate it.
    Ezekiel
    Ezekiel

Post  Ezekiel Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:10 pm

WOW! You really know your sh**! But yeah I am aware of that. I make enough to easily buy a few springs to give it a go. If i don't eventually succeed I'll just get one custom made for me from a supplier.

Thanks for your input, nice to know someone has their head screwed on about things like this.
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:00 am

Hi, like to try light modding on my new Longshot (AR removal and adding second spring). Hope I'm not necro-ing this thread as it is one month old. Many suggested adding Nite Finder spring, but I don't want to buy one just for the spring. Others suggested Bunning C836 spring but you need to reinforce the boltsled (whatever that is), so I don't want to do that too. One person suggested Bunning C756 spring but no further report from him since then. I am only wishing for a range of about 50 feet (with stock darts), not 90-100 feet like some heavily modded one. So any other suitable springs that I can explore? Cheers.
    Winterstrike

Post  Winterstrike Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:19 am

I sell custom springs for longshots and I've sold quite a few to people on here already. I've used it in 3 of mine and I haven't had to reinforce anything. The spring is pricy as I had to import them as a friend made them for me himself. If you ask around, I'm pretty sure that people are happy with what they got. I've sold at least 20 so far, and I've yet to receive any complaints.
    gooni
    gooni

Post  gooni Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:22 am

Winterstrike wrote:I sell custom springs for longshots and I've sold quite a few to people on here already. I've used it in 3 of mine and I haven't had to reinforce anything. The spring is pricy as I had to import them as a friend made them for me himself. If you ask around, I'm pretty sure that people are happy with what they got. I've sold at least 20 so far, and I've yet to receive any complaints.

Indeed.

I have bought two of Chads springs of power and put one into my LS. To be honest, they worked better than I imagined. After reading and hearing so much about how great the LS is and then getting my own, I was not all that thrilled of its stock performance and that of it once I took out the AR. Then I got the springs "que angelic choir" and installed one into the LS. OMFG (mind the msnglish" I was blown away, I have made some okish springers but the LS shits on them all and then some.

I am only using the one spring and have not reinforced it at this time, and am yet to see any stress markings. I have not tested the range and has stock barrel, but i would say it can hit 80ish maybe.

I am a very happy customer,I would and have recommend them to anyone wanting to replace the stock spring.

Last edited by gooni on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    SuctionCup
    SuctionCup

Post  SuctionCup Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:19 pm

Although I haven't got my LS yet, (comes on the 4th November) I am now consdidering what mods to do and what spring to put in it.
    Will a combination of a stock LS spring, a NiteFinder spring and a Recon spring.
    I do acknowledge that I will have to undergo reinforcing my boltsled, since I probably wont be allowed to buy an Aluminium Boltsled.

What are your thoughts on this combonation? has anyone used it before?

- SuctionCup -
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:35 pm

I've got a longshot + nightfinder in mine and that works nicely. I don't know how much better the recon addition would make it.

Although I'm getting one of winterstrike's springs so I wont need that combo anymore.
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:42 pm

Psykka wrote:I've got a longshot + nightfinder in mine and that works nicely.

Oh it was you Psykka who used the C756 spring before. What happened? Why did you change to NF spring? And now you are going to change again to Winterstrike's spring?
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:48 pm

the c756 is freely available. The nf spring was better so I used that.
    I'm now getting chad's spring because it's even better. Plus it frees up my LS and NF springs for use in other guns.

The c756 is good cos it can be added to almost any gun because it fits inside most other springs and just over the plunger rod.
    Khail
    Khail

Post  Khail Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:53 pm

Winterstrike wrote:I sell custom springs for longshots

I’m currently looking for about 5 longshot springs, I was going to look through http://www.smallparts.com.au/ but I would much prefer to buy from yourself.

Any chance of some dimensions? Length, diameter, # of loops, width of the wire ect. And an estimated range with the correct dart fit and weighted stefan? Thanks
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:56 pm

Psykka wrote:the c756 is freely available. The nf spring was better so I used that.
    I'm now getting chad's spring because it's even better. Plus it frees up my LS and NF springs for use in other guns.

The c756 is good cos it can be added to almost any gun because it fits inside most other springs and just over the plunger rod.

So it sounds like the c756 spring is not as strong as NF spring, but is it longer or shorter than NF spring?
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:28 pm

it's probably the same length or a little shorter. Yes it's much thinner wire though so not as much power. But seeing as it fits inside just about any of the other commonly used springs it is quite useful for adding just a little more power.
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:00 pm

Winterstrike wrote:I sell custom springs for longshots and I've sold quite a few to people on here already. I've used it in 3 of mine and I haven't had to reinforce anything.

I just read that any spring mod in Longshot means you should also reinforce the bolt seld too, yet you said you have not needed to reinforce anything in your Longshot?
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:02 pm

Akimbo Assassin wrote:
    Winterstrike wrote:I sell custom springs for longshots and I've sold quite a few to people on here already. I've used it in 3 of mine and I haven't had to reinforce anything.

I just read that any spring mod in Longshot means you should also reinforce the bolt seld too, yet you said you have not needed to reinforce anything in your Longshot?

Do it anyway. Better safe than sorry.
    Winterstrike

Post  Winterstrike Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:03 pm

At least 10 LS's have my spring in them, none with boltsled reinforcement and none have broken so far, too my knowledge. Two of my own LS's have both my custom and the stock spring and are working fine to this day after firing hundreds of shots.
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:14 pm

OK, thanks for different opinions from both of you.

I think I'll still go have a read on those two different methods of bolt sled reinforcement (aluminium sheet and coat hanger). May give either one method a go after I receive Chad's spring.
    longstrikeguy
    longstrikeguy

Post  longstrikeguy Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:15 pm

Is it better to put in a recon spring or a second longshot spring. I will reinforce it.
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:18 pm

longstrikeguy wrote:Is it better to put in a recon spring or a second longshot spring. I will reinforce it.

I am guessing adding a second longshot spring won't work because both two longshot springs have the same diameter, when they compress the spring will press on each other, so they won't have the maximum compression efficiency. Better to have two springs of different diameter, so they won't interfere each other. Am I right?

Last edited by Akimbo Assassin on Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Winterstrike

Post  Winterstrike Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:19 pm

Akimbo speaks the truth, 2 x LS springs will be an epic fail.
    longstrikeguy
    longstrikeguy

Post  longstrikeguy Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks
    Khail
    Khail

Post  Khail Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:01 pm

longstrikeguy wrote:Is it better to put in a recon spring or a second longshot spring. I will reinforce it.

It’s better to just replace the spring with a new one. Putting any second spring in as long side the stock LS spring is adding a lot of extra stress for minimal benefit, in comparison. You of course need to find a suitable replacement spring though. With the correct replacement spring you can get better force output less stress on your internals and an easier blaster to prime.
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:41 am

OK, so I received my Chad's spring today. Thanks Winterstrike.

Based on just a short experience (only fired 6 shots from a standard clip), it really have the punch in the spring. Can't tell how far the range as my corridor is only 50 feet long, and the darts were hitting the opposite end. But a few issues:

1) It has significantly more resistance to pull the bolt sled than standard stock spring, so Chad I feel the bolt sled definitely needs reinforcement.

2) It is so damn loud to shoot, especially after the AR has been removed. My family members are complaining the noise for the first time.

3) Less accuracy? I know stock streamline darts are not accurate, but some shots even veer so high they were hitting the ceiling And I was just shooting it from shoulder height at parallel angle too.

littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:45 am

You do realise that once you increase the power of the springs the streamlines WILL go completely out of control? It's because of that silly ass hole in the nub head part of the dart.

Yeah, anything with more than LS stock spring is DEFS need a sled reinforcement. I have discovered there was a crack in my boltsled with just an NF and LS spring upgrade!
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:25 pm

I do realise that, which is why I said streamline darts are not accurate in the first place. But I didn't realise increasing the power of spring can make those darts even less accurate, that probably defeats the purpose of increased range.
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:28 pm

Akimbo Assassin wrote:I do realise that, which is why I said streamline darts are not accurate in the first place. But I didn't realise increasing the power of spring can make those darts even less accurate, that probably defeats the purpose of increased range.

yep cut the tips off and fill the space with hotglue. Or make some darts out of FBR or bluefoam.
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:00 pm

Psykka wrote: yep cut the tips off and fill the space with hotglue. Or make some darts out of FBR or bluefoam.

Yes, I know modified darts or stefans are more accurate, but I prefer stock darts as I'm sure some Nerf wars only allow stock darts.

Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:05 pm

Akimbo Assassin wrote:
    Psykka wrote: yep cut the tips off and fill the space with hotglue. Or make some darts out of FBR or bluefoam.

Yes, I know modified darts or stefans are more accurate, but I prefer stock darts as I'm sure some Nerf wars only allow stock darts.

Very very few allow only stock darts. It's always a good idea to have about 100 stock in case. but all others should be modded otherwise you will never get a very good range from any gun.
    Winterstrike

Post  Winterstrike Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:34 pm

Well, I've got one LS with just my spring in and two LS with both the custom and the stock spring. All three have fired hundreds if not thousands of shots. They've been dropped, thrown around and have probably experienced more nerf war beatings than most modded LS's in Australia. They're all still working fine and none have had boltsled reinforcement. Of course, individual results may vary so reinforce if you wish.

As for the sound, well padding the plunger and not dry-firing it is all you can do. Personally, I like the loud "K'tang!" noise it makes rather than the "Thwup!" of a stock gun but that's just me.

As for accuracy, fill your steamline tips with hot glue and that should help significantly. You're not going to encounter many wars here in Australia which have stock darts only unless it's FFL or HvZ, and you wouldn't really want to bring the K'tang! LS to those anyway. Unless you plan to move to Singapore soon, it's not a concern.

avocadobride
    avocadobride

Post  avocadobride Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:46 pm

Winterstrike wrote:Well, I've got one LS with just my spring in and two LS with both the custom and the stock spring. All three have fired hundreds if not thousands of shots. They've been dropped, thrown around and have probably experienced more nerf war beatings than most modded LS's in Australia. They're all still working fine and none have had boltsled reinforcement. Of course, individual results may vary so reinforce if you wish.

And yet your not going to sell these?
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:57 pm

Winterstrike wrote:Well, I've got one LS with just my spring in and two LS with both the custom and the stock spring. All three have fired hundreds if not thousands of shots. They've been dropped, thrown around and have probably experienced more nerf war beatings than most modded LS's in Australia. They're all still working fine and none have had boltsled reinforcement.

Wow, that's impressive to hear from your experience. Gives me peace of mind now.

Winterstrike wrote:As for the sound, well padding the plunger and not dry-firing it is all you can do.

Hmm I recently removed a custom thin layer of foam from the plunger, may have to stick another one back again.

Winterstrike wrote:As for accuracy, fill your steamline tips with hot glue and that should help significantly. You're not going to encounter many wars here in Australia which have stock darts only unless it's FFL or HvZ, and you wouldn't really want to bring the K'tang! LS to those anyway. Unless you plan to move to Singapore soon, it's not a concern.

I see, so you have to cut off the hollow rubber tip and fill the front end of foam with hot glue, and shaped it into original shape tip? Sorry for sounding like a noob.

Cheers for the spring again.
    gooni
    gooni

Post  gooni Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:01 pm

Akimbo Assassin wrote:

I see, so you have to cut off the hollow rubber tip and fill the front end of foam with hot glue, and shaped it into original shape tip? Sorry for sounding like a noob.

Cheers for the spring again.

Slice the tip but not full off, so it is like a lid. Then fill with hot glue, and close the lid.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 11:33 am