Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+14
SuctionCup
Ezekiel
Chaos-Blades
inf0rm3r
SnowDragon
Neodore
phuonguyen
splosionman
chrisb
Biggles
Switchblade
-Aj-
Atlas8817
littlebro05
18 posters

Write-Up: Longshot Boltsled Reinforcement

littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Write-Up: Longshot Boltsled Reinforcement Empty Write-Up: Longshot Boltsled Reinforcement

Post  littlebro05 Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:06 am

Over the many years of people Longshotting, many boltsleds have succumbed to the power of notoriously potent springs and died. I opened up my longshot today for some maintenance only to discover that my sled has a crack in it! LS + NF spring if anyone was curious. I thought, if those springs could slowly eat away at my sled. I'm doomed! So... solution. There have been one or two boltsled reinforcements floating around, but I decided to do it my own way. Similar to others, but not the same. Let's see how I went...

Materials:

- 0.5mm Aluminium Sheet (can be bought from hobby stores or bunnings)
    - 3 Day Super Strength Epoxy Resin ($10 at bunnings or k-mart)
    - Boltsled (from your longshot...)
    - Pliers (needle nose and the fatter kind o.O)
    - Perma Marker
    - Scissors (to cut out the sheet)
    - Some hand-eye coordination...

Picture below for people who love pictures.

Write-Up: Longshot Boltsled Reinforcement IMG_2304

Step 1:

Place your aluminium sheets and trace it around your sled with a perma marker. Make SURE you cut OUTSIDE the perma marker, not inside it, You will understand why later on.

Write-Up: Longshot Boltsled Reinforcement IMG_2294

Step 2:

Sand down lightly the area of reinforcement on L joint of sled and aluminium cut out (to get best bond with glue)

Write-Up: Longshot Boltsled Reinforcement IMG_2295

Step 3:

Shape your aluminum with the pliers to make it fit nicely on the sled joint.

Write-Up: Longshot Boltsled Reinforcement IMG_2299

Step 4:

Wash plastic under warm water do get rid of the dusty sanded plastic which may get in the way with the bonding. Don't do it with aluminium, it will rust. Pat it down to dry it down with some paper towel

Write-Up: Longshot Boltsled Reinforcement IMG_2296

Step 5:

Mix 3 day epoxy together and put it on both the plastic and aluminium sandwiching them together.

Write-Up: Longshot Boltsled Reinforcement IMG_2302

Write-Up: Longshot Boltsled Reinforcement IMG_2303

You're done! It's a basic write-up but just there to give you guys an idea of what you NEED to do before you add anything better than an LS spring. Keep in mind a LS + NF combo started to wear away at the sled. So like some dude said on these forums... add anything more than the lognshot spring... REINFORCE IT!

I have tested it, it does work in the Longshot, but there is a very thin margin of error if you don't do it properly it won't run smoothly on the guide rails.

Last edited by littlebro05 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Atlas8817

Location : McDowall, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, The Ocean

Write-Up: Longshot Boltsled Reinforcement Empty Re: Write-Up: Longshot Boltsled Reinforcement

Post  Atlas8817 Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:11 am

That's effing awesome. Its very clean too. Thank you so much for the alternative. Have you added a stronger spring or such to test it, I really would like to see how this goes.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Write-Up: Longshot Boltsled Reinforcement Empty Re: Write-Up: Longshot Boltsled Reinforcement

Post  littlebro05 Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:13 am

Currently drying, will be testing it on thursday. But it will work. It's MUCH better than the coat hanger method. Aj's done this method too and apparently he hasnt' had any broken sleds... from the last I spoke to him about it (like a LONG time ago). I think he may of used a different method but I'm not sure. All I remember him saying is "laminating aluminium".
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:28 am

Yeah I used this method too, I laminated all the way down the long part of the sled, but this method should be fine as 99% of the stress and breakages occur at that right angle corner.

Very clean dude, good write up!

Aj
    Switchblade
    Switchblade

Post  Switchblade Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:43 am

would I need to do this If my Ls was shotgun gripped? I know that the shotgun grip evens out the stress, but I'm just curious.
    Biggles
    Biggles

Post  Biggles Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:23 am

Great writeup, it will be a great help for people buying longshots. Onesmall thing:
    littlebro05 wrote:Don't do it with aluminium, it will rust.

You don't have to worry, aluminium won't rust.

Biggles
    chrisb
    chrisb
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  chrisb Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:31 am

Aluminium wont rust and that is not 5mm thick aluminium
    You could even sand the aluminium to make it rough just like you do with the plastic
    You also might want to mention file/de-burr the bottom of the aluminum laminated sled to ensure the catch slide freely
    splosionman

Post  splosionman Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:25 pm

0.5mm maybe?
    Switchblade
    Switchblade

Post  Switchblade Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:32 pm

chrisb wrote:
    Aluminium wont rust and that is not 5mm thick aluminium
    You could even sand the aluminium to make it rough just like you do with the plastic
    You also might want to mention file/de-burr the bottom of the aluminum laminated sled to ensure the catch slide freely

chrisb you are truely the aluminium king. Where would we be without you?

yeah sorry about not having anything worthwhile to contribute.
    phuonguyen
    phuonguyen

Post  phuonguyen Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:38 pm

Littlebro05 used the 0.010" thick aluminium sheet from K&S metals.

Deburring the metal would make life alot easier, I'm surprised that he didn't do it; we did metalwork together in school, and deburring was a must.

I also find it very convenient that the permanent marker thickness of the tip works well for the thickness of the boltsled.

chrisb
    chrisb
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  chrisb Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:20 pm

Switchblade wrote:

chrisb you are truely the aluminium king. Where would we be without you?
    You'll be fine without me, there are plenty of intelligent people on the forum

I'd suggest you still strengthen your bolt sled
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Oh dear me, a typo... yes it's meant to be 0.5mm... time to fix that hahaha. I wrote it up in the spur of the moment because I thought may as well share since I'm making it anyway...
    Neodore
    Neodore

Post  Neodore Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:41 pm

would this work if my bolt sled already broke, ive been trying to fix it using 3 day araldite, but the glue dosn't seam to bestrong enought to hold it and when i tryed the bodge it with ali it broke again :/
    SnowDragon
    SnowDragon

Post  SnowDragon Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:26 pm

Neodore wrote:would this work if my bolt sled already broke, ive been trying to fix it using 3 day araldite, but the glue dosn't seam to bestrong enought to hold it and when i tryed the bodge it with ali it broke again :/

If it's already broke, you're already stuffed.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:54 pm

Neodore wrote:would this work if my bolt sled already broke, ive been trying to fix it using 3 day araldite, but the glue dosn't seam to bestrong enought to hold it and when i tryed the bodge it with ali it broke again :/

Actually There may be a way you can fix it. It's a similar way on how I fixed my big blast trigger using ShootEmUp's way. There's a couple reasons that using only JUST araldite won't work. It's because araldite doesnt' fuse the plastic together.

If you use this method of using aluminium as the '2nd' layer you would probably temporarily repair your boltsled because it's like having a '2nd' skin. It might not last long though. If my boltsled does break I will probably work out away to repair it. So, until then you're going to have to deal with a broken sled :(.

Actually, I want to have a go at that. Time to go to the WTB thread.

When I mean 'rust' I should say it can get oxidated. So phuong tells me, which is probably the correct term.
    Neodore
    Neodore

Post  Neodore Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:28 pm

littlebro05 wrote:
    Actually There may be a way you can fix it. It's a similar way on how I fixed my big blast trigger using ShootEmUp's way. There's a couple reasons that using only JUST araldite won't work. It's because araldite doesnt' fuse the plastic together.

If you use this method of using aluminium as the '2nd' layer you would probably temporarily repair your boltsled because it's like having a '2nd' skin. It might not last long though. If my boltsled does break I will probably work out away to repair it. So, until then you're going to have to deal with a broken sled :(.

Actually, I want to have a go at that. Time to go to the WTB thread.

When I mean 'rust' I should say it can get oxidated. So phuong tells me, which is probably the correct term.

well i can with out a doubt say that trying to use the longshot with a broken bolt sled is a bad idea. I pulled it back, cocked it (supprised the hell out of me that it cocked mind you anything will go with enought force) and if I moved the gun backward and forward i could hear something rattleing around inside it, opened it all up an found the black plastic bit on the back of the breach tube had snapped off.

Im thinking of getting one of the ali boltsleds but i might see if i can fix the bolt sled aswell just for sh!ts and giggles ( I sence a race on :P), this also means that due to the broken breach im now forced to make up an angel breach.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:45 pm

Would you mind selling this 'broken boltsled' to me, send me a picture of what the breakage looks like and I'm going to see if I can repair it. I'll pay $10 with the postage included because it's pretty much worthless at the moment so you're getting some of your money back on it.

Also you prime the longshot using the 'jam door' without the boltsled, you just have to glue it to the boltnub some how.
    chrisb
    chrisb
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  chrisb Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:10 pm

Neodore wrote: i could hear something rattleing around inside it, opened it all up an found the black plastic bit on the back of the breach tube had snapped off.

I'll be looking into this later this month
    inf0rm3r
    inf0rm3r
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  inf0rm3r Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:22 am

chrisb wrote:
    Neodore wrote: i could hear something rattleing around inside it, opened it all up an found the black plastic bit on the back of the breach tube had snapped off.

I'll be looking into this later this month

I do have encountered this but only with a monster of a spring which shouldn't be in there in the first place.
    Chaos-Blades
    Chaos-Blades

Post  Chaos-Blades Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:45 am

I've also done this the same as AJ's. Good write-up, this can be a little tricky and if you Fk it up, it'll be a pain in the ass to fix. If you're not that confident, GET someone to help you out.
    Neodore
    Neodore

Post  Neodore Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:35 pm

littlebro05 wrote:Would you mind selling this 'broken boltsled' to me, send me a picture of what the breakage looks like and I'm going to see if I can repair it. I'll pay $10 with the postage included because it's pretty much worthless at the moment so you're getting some of your money back on it.

Also you prime the longshot using the 'jam door' without the boltsled, you just have to glue it to the boltnub some how.

Ill take a couple of piccys for you if you like but i was going to try something like plastic welding to try and fix it.

I like my monster spring that and the damage is already done so ive now got
    A) a reason to brass it
    B) work out how to fix it
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:46 am

Plastic welding the joint won't make it any stronger though. It'll work but it won't be as strong as before. You may as well use this method but I have thought of a way to repair it. I just need a broken boltsled that have been broken on the sides!
    Neodore
    Neodore

Post  Neodore Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:50 pm

littlebro05 wrote:Plastic welding the joint won't make it any stronger though. It'll work but it won't be as strong as before. You may as well use this method but I have thought of a way to repair it. I just need a broken boltsled that have been broken on the sides!

I remember reading somewhere on this site (or maybe nerfhaven) someone using coathanger wire to brace the bolt sled, Im trying to use the wire sunk into the boltsled to brace it, however i think there may be a problem because im not getting the two plastics hot enought to fuse yet.

I'm taking pictures but ill only do a write up if it actually works and dosnt break after a decent amount of usage i dont see this working for long in my LS because mine is starting to get to the stupidity level but it could be a fix for someones LS with less ommph, ideally something like a twin spring set up (nf+ls, stock LS+bigger ls so on and so forth)

littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:38 am

It's because silly people like you try to put a monster spring into something that won't hold and that's why it breaks. You have to realise that 'modifying' something is one thing, but knowing it's limits is another.
    Ezekiel
    Ezekiel

Post  Ezekiel Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:51 pm

Does anyone know a good way how to reinforce the back of the plunger? It's the part where the 2 screws are.
    chrisb
    chrisb
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  chrisb Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:11 pm

Ezekiel wrote:Does anyone know a good way how to reinforce the back of the plunger? It's the part where the 2 screws are.
    get one made up...
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:50 am

There is actually a good way to reinforce it. And all you have to do is get layer some aluminium (about 3mmx3mm) and etape it until you can jam it between the 'deadspace' behind the rear spring stopper. This doesnt' really reinforce it but give it some support.
    SuctionCup
    SuctionCup

Write-Up: Longshot Boltsled Reinforcement Empty Reinforcing stuff!

Post  SuctionCup Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:02 am

Do you have to reinforce the boltsled if you change the spring? By saving have to I mean will it otherwise break?

- SuctionCup -
    phuonguyen
    phuonguyen

Post  phuonguyen Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:09 am

The addition of a NF spring will eventually create a crack in your Boltsled if you don't reinforce it. The boltsled was designed for one spring and that's the stock spring or any force that the stock spring puts onto the Boltsled.
    Neodore
    Neodore

Post  Neodore Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:48 pm

littlebro05 wrote:It's because silly people like you try to put a monster spring into something that won't hold and that's why it breaks. You have to realise that 'modifying' something is one thing, but knowing it's limits is another.

Well, now i know its limits

EDIT: on a side note the plastic welding seams to sort of work but putting any stress on it does seam to resplit the crack, i might have get a soldering iron with more heat and to try and melt the plastic into instant liquid.
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:23 am

I tried this out last night with one of my boltsleds. It looks pretty good. I did a dry run inside the longshot and there is a tiny amount of increased friction but nothing a little bit of filing wont fix.
    Also wrap some tape really tightly around the parts of the boltsled to hold it nice and firm while the epoxy dries.

I actually recommend cutting the parts you are folding over a little bit too long. Then cut them back flush with the boldsled and round the edges off with a file. If you cover all the inner surfaces with 3 day epoxy it should give a stronger and longer lasting reinforcement.
    hichrich
    hichrich

Location : Sydney, NSW, Australia, Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Post  hichrich Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:19 am

Can I ask whether or not an added Recon spring (Recon + Longshot springs) will break the boltsled? I have had it in for a bit and had no problems yet but will that evenally break the boltsled? If so, after how much use?
    Thanks...
    Psykka
    Psykka
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Psykka Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:24 am

hichrich wrote:Can I ask whether or not an added Recon spring (Recon + Longshot springs) will break the boltsled? I have had it in for a bit and had no problems yet but will that evenally break the boltsled? If so, after how much use?
    Thanks...

Yes you need to reinforce it. Any spring addition or change requires reinforcement.

Joey
    Joey

Post  Joey Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:24 am

Psykka wrote:
    hichrich wrote:Can I ask whether or not an added Recon spring (Recon + Longshot springs) will break the boltsled? I have had it in for a bit and had no problems yet but will that evenally break the boltsled? If so, after how much use?
    Thanks...
    Yes you need to reinforce it. Any spring addition or change requires reinforcement.

This should be at the top of anything to do with modding the longshot. It may take a while (mine took over a year and still hasn't fully broken...but looking at it it would not have survived another war) but it WILL break, especially if you dryfire the gun a lot too.

I am glad I got the aluminium boltsled when I did, it was basically the cost of another longshot anyways.
    Akimbo Assassin
    Akimbo Assassin

Post  Akimbo Assassin Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:46 pm

OK, I tried this method of bolt sled reinforcement yesterday, but unfortunately due to my lack of skill and inexperience, several parts of the aluminium not glued evenly around the original bolt sled. It created too much resistance on the rails, so after I primed the sled it will not sprung back when I pulled the trigger. So anyone who is not very skillful with metalwork (including me) should think twice before they attempt this method. Now I have to figure out some way to repair my bolt sled, I think I will have to file the aluminium parts that are in contact with the rails down to paper-thin layer tomorrow. Damnit, if I can't repair it, it is either I have to buy another Longshot or replace the whole bolt sled with Chris's aluminium sled

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:35 pm