Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+18
mull
makeitgo
Xoenz
matt.chopper
TooBz
oxymoron
bulletproofvest
Luke
melbnerf619
-mirsho
False
clunk07
NachoTaco
Bacara
Mozart
littlebro05
yeahryan
boosted6
22 posters

Range test with the Man and V2 spring....

boosted6
    boosted6

Range test with the Man and V2 spring.... Empty Range test with the Man and V2 spring....

Post  boosted6 Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:52 am

I've been wanting to do a range test for the last few days, but it has been too windy. I looked out the window today, and the trees werent moving....all was still.

I grabbed my Octo-shot housing the new V2 spring, combined with a LS spring, and threw it in the bag. I picked up the single barreled TS, which is housing the Man Spring, which MIG sent over to me, and in the bag it went. Looked at the Wipeout and thought why not. So i took all 3 blasters to the park.

I had afew different darts with me. I didnt take MIG's darts for i dont want to lose them. The best dart was a blue foam black snap cap.
    Range test with the Man and V2 spring.... Dsc00469z

I grabbed the recently aqquired 100ft el cheapo tape, and ran it out to 100ft. I used yellow marker paint, marked the 100, and then ran it out another 60-70ft, thinking that should be enough.... I ran the tape nice and straight, and i took pics of the darts LZ's.
    Range test with the Man and V2 spring.... Dsc00462a

Where my bag is was where i was shooting from, in the distance you can see a goal post. Couldnt believe the darts went past them.

Ok, so first up i pulled out the TS with the Man spring and loaded a blue foam split shot sinker dart. This dart was loose fitting, so i knew it wasnt optimal.
    First shot just cleared the boundary line. I dropped everything, picked up the camera, and ran down there.
    Range test with the Man and V2 spring.... Dsc00464sj

Range test with the Man and V2 spring.... Dsc00463dq

First shot reached 173ft fired from the hip on a slight angle.

When i ran back, i loaded a blue foam black snap cap dart into the TS, knowing that dart would go better...
    Range test with the Man and V2 spring.... Dsc00466q

189ft. I said 189.5 on the video, but once i looked at it better, was 189. I was gobsmacked. I realised the Man spring will happily push a heavier dart. 200ft is possible with a springer!!

But something strange happened, which is what made me realise from the start that the TS will be able to fire heavier darts....

I pulled out the Octo-Shot, and thought i'd try the same dart. Again i fired from the hip.

Drum roll please.......................

The Octo-Shot achieved a new world record of 190ft.

When i fired that one, i didnt even pick up the camera, i just ran down and couldnt believe i nearly hit 200ft.
    Posting a youtube clip soon of just walking down and varifying the 189ft shot from the TS.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS1h_epIHyM

I forgot to mention, the Wipeout pistol got 72ft angled slightly.

Last edited by boosted6 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:03 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : added youtube link)
    yeahryan
    yeahryan

Range test with the Man and V2 spring.... Empty Re: Range test with the Man and V2 spring....

Post  yeahryan Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:00 am

Thats insane nice work man.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Range test with the Man and V2 spring.... Empty Re: Range test with the Man and V2 spring....

Post  littlebro05 Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:02 am

Pretty cool, but someone impractical unless you were going to be popping long range shots. I don't think it would be worth the effort for amount of strength you would need to prim 22kg + 14kg = 36kg of spring load. Pretty cool test though. I wonder if the epoxy putty would even hold LOL.
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:07 am

No time for negativity littleB!!

Its a great achievement.

The epoxy putty is perfect. Mig told me a trick to get it even more rock solid. Its been pulled apart, reinforced even more, and is now a beast. Actually will post a pic of what it did to my target.

Actually priming it isnt that hard. It primes all the way back easily, i could easily take this to a war.

Scary thing is, once i have my brass barrels in the speed loader, and with the new darts, i'll get 200ft. Thats only 61ft shy of my Titan which shot exaclty the same dart.

Ok, i knew i was in for some great ranges when i fired a blue foam dart with just a bb in it at ghostface.
    Range test with the Man and V2 spring.... Dsc00458d

Was a great shot, but the dart actually went halfway through the cardboard box. Thats from a dart that only weighs around 0.5grams. And not only that, the bit it went through is actually the rear flap, which allows me to collect the darts inside.
    Range test with the Man and V2 spring.... Dsc00459ec

Glue and bb are gone.

Now ghostface is scared, haha.
    The dart in the chin is from the Octo.
    Range test with the Man and V2 spring.... Dsc00457v

Last edited by boosted6 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:12 am

boosted6 wrote:No time for negativity littleB!!

Its a great achievement.

The epoxy putty is perfect. Mig told me a trick to get it even more rock solid. Its been pulled apart, reinforced even more, and is now a beast. Actually will post a pic of what it did to my target.

Actually priming it isnt that hard. It primes all the way back easily, i could easily take this to a war.

Scary thing is, once i have my brass barrels in the speed loader, and with the new darts, i'll get 200ft. Thats only 61ft shy of my Titan which shot exaclty the same dart.

Take into consideration I can't even prime a 17kg properly lol. You're going to have really sore arms by the end of it though haha.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:17 am

Niiiiiicceeeee!! That's some mega range, Boost.

Just got a Hand Canon today, seen as though the guy took my money and stopped reading PMs about the one he was getting me a month or two ago.

Singled and with a LOT of reinforcement, this should achieve similar ranges! (: Can't wait to get that foam off you, too!
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:37 am

Awesome Mozart, if done right, you shall be rewarded.
    And with the new foam, these blasters will be feared.

LittleB-36kg? Is that true? Thats awesome.

Thanks for the kind words Ryan.

Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:40 am

They will be feared! Mwahahahaaa!!

Quick question, how do I fix the seal..? It's got a skirt type dealio, how can I make it better?
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:44 am

Are you doing an Octo or a single barrel?

If an Octo, you use the original plunger head pad which came with it. The original turret seal gets gooped into that, then together it goes on the plunger outlet, providing seal to the turret.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:55 am

Nope, Octo is down the line a little. This'll be singled. So I need to know how to make the actual plunger head seal better.
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:00 am

Ah plunger seal. Grab a 32mm bath plug head. Tap the plunger rod. 1x large washer. With the screw you can adjust the right amount of friction Vs resistance.
    You should have perfect airseal. When its done, put your finger over the air outlet of plunger tube. Then try pull plunger rod out.
    You shouldnt be able to pull it out when your finger is on, or push it in.
    Use good lubricant, and your rocking.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:11 am

Righto! Thanks man. Where do I get the plug from, just Mitre 10?

I took the V2 spring back out for now, I'll wait to put it back in until I've reinforced everything.
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:17 am

Yeah bunnings should have them. But the ones i use are now out of production.
    So if theres no stock, then thats it. But some should still have them laying around.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:24 am

Ohh, that sucks.. There's no way to get a 100% seal with the stock skirt? Can't really be bothered, Bunnings is in Hobart, four hours away.
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:27 am

4 hours away?

Damn. Well you can still get great air seal without one.
    Follow MIG's write-up.
    Bacara
    Bacara

Post  Bacara Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:44 am

Mitre 10 will have them, as will any local hardware store. I went to bunnings under the illusion that they'd have them, but the only place that did have them was my local, only 5 minutes down the road!
    NachoTaco
    NachoTaco

Post  NachoTaco Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:49 am

I got my plug from clark rubber, if that helps.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:02 am

200 ft from a springer fired from the hip isn't that impossible to achieve. At least 3 of my longshot's get that range when fired from the hip. With the SSSpring and stock LS spring, I'm hitting 170 feet with 7 degree angle from the shoulder. Admittedly, that's on my personal LS, of which I've spent alot of time working on plunger seal.

But not to be a downer, nice work on the octo.

Cheers,
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:17 am

I thought your LS's were getting 170ft, not 200ft. But damn 200ft from a LS is awesome.

I got the 173ft with a pretty loose dart. The 190ft can be beaten for sure. I think once i try a heavier dart, i'll hit around 200-210ft.

Will be interesting to see what the Octo does with a slightly heavier dart also...

Between you and me clunk, we have some pretty powerful springers.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:19 am

Yeh mate, we're getting there.

Hitting over 200 feet angled from the hip - not that it's a practical way of firing, but just putting it in the same range test scenario as your octo.

Cheers,
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:35 am

Yes indeed, will try Mitre 10.

Is it just me, or do Hand Canons/Triple Shots feel really nice? It seems to feel real sturdy, nicely put together. Nice big screws, nice paint job. The PAS is the opposite, it feels pretty flimsy and the priming handle has a lot of wobble.

Just finished singling this and even just with the stock spring, it has half decent power. I can see a loooott of range coming out of this baddy..
    False
    False

Range test with the Man and V2 spring.... Empty ...

Post  False Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:41 am

200ft with a springer? Impressive, I can't wait to see your other projects.

@Mozart. I used to live in Burnie too before I moved to QLD about four years ago...
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:13 am

Mozart-Actually i thought it was the other way around?

The TS is pretty flimsy, but once reinforced and everything, its a tank. I bought my other one for only $19.

But i cant speak for the PAS/RFSG, looking at them, they look really well made, but i know you can easily break them.
    But yeah they feel good. Making a stock for them is even better, but now i have the stock off the Octo, will put it on the TS, which i have just named. Will be in the write-up.

Thanks Elite.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:21 am

Haven't got my RFSG yet, but the PAS is awful. The grip is so uncomfortable, the stock is made for a baby, the trigger feels a little funny, the priming handle has nothing on this Hand Canon.

Glad I got the PAS, I've wanted it for ages. And the RFSG may be a whole load better. This Hand Cannon just feels a lot better and smoother. The grip feels like it's perfectly suited to my hand.

I really want a TS to make an Octo now.

Yeah, Elite, Burnie sucks! I moved up here from Hobart.
    -mirsho
    -mirsho

Post  -mirsho Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:41 am

Right you are Mozart - the RFSG is heaps comfy. How does the ranges of a PAS compare with that Hand Cannon of yours ?

200ft is undoubtedly, god-like. Good work Boosted !
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks mirsho, was really 190ft exactly.

With brass barrels and new darts, i'm hoping for 200-210ft.
    The dart that went 190 was loose fitting also, so will set a good record hopefully, haha.

Its all in the darts now....

Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:16 pm

I can't do range tests yet, no tape measure. The PAS is pretty powerful, but I only have that stock spring in there, I don't want a shorter one bouncing around in there, pissing me off. So I haven't done any work on it except singling it as of yet. ):

The difference in feel of the two blasters is huge, the PAS doesn't compare. Bit funny, because I paid four times as much for the PAS.

I want to make an Octo right now!! Hahaa.
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:26 pm

Haha, the Octo takes quite afew hours actually. The turret takes awhile and the reinforcing. Make sure you have lots of hot glue and padding, foam, etc. Remember to reinforce the priming handle, that can be forgotten.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:31 pm

I find it funny that you're knocking the PAS. It is designed for kids, so really, why whinge about how it feels. Whack a handle on it like I did, and you'll be fine.

And I'm a little unsure as to the PAS being flimsy. If you put as much e-putty in a PAS, that you have to in a TS/HC, the f#$king thing would be a tank.
    Mozart
    Mozart

Post  Mozart Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:39 pm

I'm not whinging about it, just giving my honest opinion. I know it's designed for kids, but so is the Hand Cannon and I know which feels better. The PAS is far from finished and it might feel a lot better when it is, but at the moment, it feels pretty weak. The priming handle wobbles a fair bit and the stock creaks.

I'm not sure if your comment was for discussion purposes, or just having a crack at me. It's just a toy, it's not like a was mouthing off about someones girlfriend..

Thanks Boosted, I'm sure it is a pretty big project, very time consuming. Reckon my Doomsayer will be in the works before then, anyway.
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:56 pm

Will be good to see which gets the greater ranges, the RFSG or the TS..?

I know clunk will be up for this!!

Remember i'm not cheating because i have a man spring.

The octo got 190ft.

What clunk said is right, doesnt matter what you work on, done the right way, it will be a worthy blaster that you thought was thrown straight into a Packa-Punch machine! Haha.

Players of COD(Zombies)will know what that is.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:03 pm

nah, just adding my 2 cents for discussion purposes.

If the stock's creaking, you really need to look at adding a hand-grip. The butt-stock never touches my body at all, not in priming, and not in aiming. The handle allows you to channel all the energy through it for priming.

Haha Boosted, my Armageddon/Doomsayer was never going to be a range-finder, so I'll leave that up to someone from the Brizzy Crew. Admittedly, with the 3 springs in my Longshot, I hit well over 210 feet flat, after I spent ages looking for the dart. Unfortunately, the boltsled only lasted for that 1 shot!! So, I do believe that is the record at present - 1 shot, 1 kill....

Cheers,
    NachoTaco
    NachoTaco

Post  NachoTaco Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Even with your boltsled reinforced?
    boosted6
    boosted6

Post  boosted6 Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:11 pm

Well over 210ft?

Was that measured?

But its not confirmed for you didnt find the dart?

That means, the record will be around....205ft?

Alright, i'll go for 210ft. If i reach that, we are tied.
    If i get past, i take the crown.

All i know is, since MIG heard of my ranges, he will be doing a single barrel, or putting a V2 spring in his octo.
    clunk07
    clunk07
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  clunk07 Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:22 pm

yeh, confirmed and measured at 211'3" - if you'd like to get technical haha
    It really only counts if you work on the fact that it's completely unrealistic to use. I had to load it like a crossbow to get it to prime...

NachoTaco - it was one of my first reinforced sled's, and I'd only done the coathanger method.

Also - that was flat from shoulder - less than 5 degree angle, as I was aiming for a tree across the road and missed haha

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:06 am