Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

Nerfing down under!. Oz Nerf - Australian Nerf Community

If you're new to the forums please do the following.
1. Read the Forum Rules before posting!
2. Update your location, age and avatar TRUTHFULLY
3. Introduce yourself in the Welcome to Oznerf forum section =)

Navigation

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 52416 messages in 3425 subjects

We have 1922 registered users

The newest registered user is seabulb

Latest topics

» gold coast nerf war?
by ShaGGz LMS Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:49 pm

» nerf clearout
by Runeblade Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 am

» How to replace the Longshot trigger plate?
by neon64bit Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

» Mid North Coast/Hunter War Organisation
by Vampros Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 pm

» WTB felt for slugs
by Richo123 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:21 am

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+32
RePete
jnerf
taerkitty
SuctionCup
gamepro383
revo
mull
dndoperative
Khail
FieldHockey
phuonguyen
Primus1356
Genericwizardguy
mentalmatt
Nerf Doctor
Hamish
Bacara
melbourneSTORM4eva
-Aj-
littlebro05
Foam Militia
neumein
chinnerz
SgtDan
kingkottah
KingCam
flyjammer
Roger Explosion
bjthecool2
BlackOps
WV17
inf0rm3r
36 posters

Dart Creation Complete Guide

-Aj-
    -Aj-

Dart Creation Complete Guide - Page 2 Empty Re: Dart Creation Complete Guide

Post  -Aj- Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:16 pm

pics?
    inf0rm3r
    inf0rm3r
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  inf0rm3r Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:33 pm

Screw Cap Dart.

1. Get your piece of cut foam, straight preferably
    2. Fill the white screw cap with hot glue slightly above level
    3. Place the Cap full of glue onto your foam
    4. Sit to dry for 5 minutes. I sit my darts in magstrike clips so you can keep count easily.

This method of making darts is very quick and efficient and you can barely stuff up. Depending on the cap used and the volume you can get these guys heavier than a streamline tip.

It's also probably the cheapest way of producing reliable darts. I can get these caps in bags of 1000 for $17.00 this is at cost retail is around $20.00 for 500 at specialty stores.

4 cents a cap even at the more expensive option.

Picture below.

Dart Creation Complete Guide - Page 2 Of28lw
    flyjammer
    flyjammer

Post  flyjammer Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:36 pm

inf0rm3r wrote:Screw Cap Dart.

1. Get your piece of cut foam, straight preferably
    2. Fill the white screw cap with hot glue slightly above level
    3. Place the Cap full of glue onto your foam
    4. Sit to dry for 5 minutes. I sit my darts in magstrike clips so you can keep count easily.

This method of making darts is very quick and efficient and you can barely stuff up. Depending on the cap used and the volume you can get these guys heavier than a streamline tip.

Picture below.

Dart Creation Complete Guide - Page 2 Of28lw

Where can you get the screw caps? and How much are they?

Will these still work in clips? Is there certain sizes for the caps?
    melbourneSTORM4eva
    melbourneSTORM4eva
    Founder
    Founder

Post  melbourneSTORM4eva Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:37 pm

Those look like they wouldn't be accepted in breeches very well? I'm talking brass breeches and stuff.if you got screw caps 1mm smaller, they'd be perfect.If they aren't already.

-MS4E
    inf0rm3r
    inf0rm3r
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  inf0rm3r Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:41 pm

They work in anything. Perfect out of longshots, recons and any clip based blasters well. The reason they work is because the cap OD is the same as the foam by some miracle. about 300 of these darts were used in our last war I only recall having to clear a jam once and that wasn't the tips fault. Not sure whether it's the glue I'm using. I'm using cheapy 2 dollar hot glue from crazies but they don't break off the foam as washers do either.

The trick is to practice and make sure they match up exactly over the foam.

I gave bad examples but the one on the left in front you can see the diameter is the same.

@ fly jammer

Yes clips work fine.

Look at specialty fastener stores. Bunnings has a pathetic range as per usual. In bunnings you can find small packs of 20 for $5.00 which is a joke.
    melbourneSTORM4eva
    melbourneSTORM4eva
    Founder
    Founder

Post  melbourneSTORM4eva Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:46 pm

But how do they go in tight breeches? Does the tip catch?

-MS4E
    inf0rm3r
    inf0rm3r
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  inf0rm3r Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:53 pm

The tip won't catch. Tested. Not sure how tight yours is but mine was fine. Through a PETG barrel there won't be problems. Brass should be fine to.
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:54 pm

yeah, things like angel breeches are v different to longshots, a longshot is not really a "breech" per say

it's a cool Idea, I just want to make sure it works fine with no loss of range, ie, try shooting these down 9" of 16mm conduit.. that's the real test of if they're the same OD

Also, I kinda doubt these are weighted enough, Informer you always seem to lean towards lighter darts, and longer but I've found that when using high power guns (designed to shoot >80-90 feet) heavier tips and shorter length is key for max range

Aj
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:55 pm

yeah, things like angel breeches are v different to longshots, a longshot is not really a "breech" per say

it's a cool Idea, I just want to make sure it works fine with no loss of range, ie, try shooting these down 9" of 16mm conduit.. that's the real test of if they're the same OD

Also, I kinda doubt these are weighted enough, Informer you always seem to lean towards lighter darts, and longer but I've found that when using high power guns (designed to shoot >80-90 feet) heavier tips and shorter length is key for max range

Aj
    flyjammer
    flyjammer

Post  flyjammer Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:55 pm

Inf0rm3r could you please post a picture of just the screw caps? It would help a lot if I knew what I was looking for.
    melbourneSTORM4eva
    melbourneSTORM4eva
    Founder
    Founder

Post  melbourneSTORM4eva Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:57 pm

Just for fun...I made a 16mm Conduit breech..That what i had in mind as a breech..The one you shove into a coupler.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:01 pm

-Aj- wrote:yeah, things like angel breeches are v different to longshots, a longshot is not really a "breech" per say

Aj

Well my style is pretty much the same to making darts, except I use weights. Lighter darts work better with NFs and Maverick from my experience (yours could be different), where as heavier darts work better guns such as Triple Shots (the ranges and accuracy of the lighter ones don't seem to affect that much in my semi-overhaul [need to replace the spring), BBBB, Titan, etc etc.
    inf0rm3r
    inf0rm3r
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  inf0rm3r Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:06 pm

Yeah. That's what I ment. I nest my PETG / Brass into PVC on the breeches only difference.

@ AJ

I use plastic where ever I can there's to much glass in my house, but sitting a 1/4" BB in this setup will solve that or even a plastic alternative should weight it enough. From testing shorter darts do work better in a higher powered setup and even in general. I use darts @ 1.7" in for my Big Blast setup.

I mass produced these ones as most people at our war were using springers not completely maxed out and sometimes a lighter dart can help increase range in that case.

Taking pictures of the caps themselves now.

@ littlebro

Yes the lighter darts will actually increase range on entry level springers. I have a Fury fire with a decent spring upgrade and using a lighter dart increases range but you can only do this up until a certain range, 60-70 is when you will notice swivelling or fish tailing.

Dart Creation Complete Guide - Page 2 10r8uas
    Bacara
    Bacara

Post  Bacara Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:13 am

Hey does anyone know where I can buy FBR in Nowra or Wollongong? Because Bunnings only has 10mm and 15mm FBR
    Hamish
    Hamish

Post  Hamish Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:35 am

@Bacara questions thread *cough cough* Inf0rmer sells FBR.

-Hamish
    Nerf Doctor
    Nerf Doctor

Post  Nerf Doctor Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:15 pm

What would be a good length and weight for a Recon with a 1/4" spacer on the spring and AR's removed?
    neumein
    neumein
    Donator
    Donator

Post  neumein Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:54 am

Nerf Doctor wrote:What would be a good length and weight for a Recon with a 1/4" spacer on the spring and AR's removed?

Based on my experiences, weaker guns like the Recon tend to do better with lighter stefans, so maybe 1-2inch long stefans, with craft bead or size "00" fishing weights.

Also, welcome to OzNerf! You should make yourself an intro thread over Here. And, if you like, you could add yourself to FoamBook, or member directory, which can be found right this way

Cheers
    Nathan
    mentalmatt
    mentalmatt

Dart Creation Complete Guide - Page 2 Empty Drum

Post  mentalmatt Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:08 pm

Can you put these in drum magazines?
    Genericwizardguy
    Genericwizardguy

Post  Genericwizardguy Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:38 pm

mentalmatt wrote:Can you put these in drum magazines?

Not yet, a fix is being worked on by littlebro05 (I think) and myself.
    Nerf Doctor
    Nerf Doctor

Post  Nerf Doctor Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:10 am

I saw somewhere that you can put little tabs on the dart holder things inside the drums to hold shorter stefans.
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:44 am

Yeah I'm working on it at the moment. I'm goign to try to use different homemade stefans. (i.e. the one with the hot glue gun tips) I suspect that the snap caps are getting the way with the rotation thing.
    Foam Militia
    Foam Militia

Post  Foam Militia Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:29 am

They can't be littlebro05, the friction from the rubber heads on the streamlines would stop rotation aswell. If you use 2-2.5" darts then you should be fine. I always put my darts in in the direction that the hasbro arrow points and in that direction inside the drum there is a cup for the dart heads. Let me know if you need a pic...I has a clear raider .
    Primus1356
    Primus1356

Post  Primus1356 Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:00 am

which would be better in a nf, screw caps or beads?
    phuonguyen
    phuonguyen

Post  phuonguyen Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:18 am

If it's stock, then either one, it doesn't matter, because the barrel doesn't extend past the tip.

If its modified and has an extended barrel, like brass or petg, or conduit, then whatever works best in those barrel materials.
    Primus1356
    Primus1356

Post  Primus1356 Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:04 am

ill be adding a melbornestorm4eva breech
    inf0rm3r
    inf0rm3r
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  inf0rm3r Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:14 am

This foam won't work in 16mm Conduit, you will have to get PETG and nest it inside Orange Conduit which work.
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:24 am

Actually blue foam is perfect for 16mm conduit, as long as you dont use heat to straighten it. However the screw caps dont work with conduit, so use beads, or even better, fishing weights.

Aj
    littlebro05
    littlebro05
    War Organiser
    War Organiser

Post  littlebro05 Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:30 am

Actually I had a different experience. I've straighten blue foam using heat (for 1 minute, enough to straight them all out) and it didnt' shrink significantly that when I push the dart into the PVC barrel it was still firm and felt the same as it was before.
    -Aj-
    -Aj-

Post  -Aj- Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:39 am

heat EXPANDS the foam.

It's a tight fit but that is what you want, UPVC has lower surface friction than brass so it works better than tight brass. My darts are short (40mm) and structurally reinforced (straw down the center) if you have longer darts the straw is even more necessary, but hey this is one of the only dart/barrel setups that I can consistently achieve over 150' with some blasters. Roger Explosion will tell you the same thing, we both use these kind of darts and barrel setups, though some of his barrels are made with HEP20, which has a virtually identical ID to 16mm conduit.

Aj
    FieldHockey
    FieldHockey

Post  FieldHockey Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:52 am

HELP!
    Does anyone know where I can buy FBR or foam for stefans?
    inf0rm3r
    inf0rm3r
    Trade Merchant
    Trade Merchant

Post  inf0rm3r Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:05 pm

I SELL FOAM GO TO THE THREAD! READ!
    Khail
    Khail

Post  Khail Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:06 pm

-Aj- wrote:

UPVC has lower surface friction than brass so it works better than tight brass.

So are you saying UPVC is superior to brass, or that UPVC simply has to be a tighter fit than brass (In springers)?

-Aj- wrote:

My darts are short (40mm) and structurally reinforced (straw down the center) if you have longer darts the straw is even more necessary,

You are such a bad ass, thats a brilliant idea. How durable is it tho, does the straw lose effectiveness over time?
    chinnerz
    chinnerz

Post  chinnerz Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:21 am

Khail wrote:
    So are you saying UPVC is superior to brass, or that UPVC simply has to be a tighter fit than brass (In springers)?

UPVC is superior to brass.

Think of it like this: If you have a barrel and the inside was lined with sandpaper(God knows why), when you put a dart in and fire the weapon, the dart will rub against the walls which are really rough and slow down. You will need a lot more pressure to move the dart at the same speed.
    Now compare that to a highly polished metal lining on the inside of that barrel, stuff can slide a lot better. So when you fire the weapon this time the dart it pushed out relatively easily, meaning it will reach higher speeds while in the barrel and will be traveling faster when it leaves.

According to a few people, UPVC is better then the polished inside lining of that barrel.
    dndoperative
    dndoperative

Post  dndoperative Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:34 pm

hey,
    just wondering in the photos you had coloured hot glue, how did you do that
    Foam Militia
    Foam Militia

Post  Foam Militia Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:07 am

Coloured hot glue?

From officeworks...

...$5 a pack.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:02 am